Arrow To All SAS Merchants Making Widgets:
    To All SAS Merchants Making Widgets:

As you can see on my previous post Here, just those nine (9) different widgets will cause problems to many of your affiliates, because of the color issue, and the width issue.

Yes, you can all make special request Widgets to those affiliates that ask you for one, but are you sure you want to spend all the time it will take, to be messing around with your widgets in order to please every single size, or color request from your affiliates?

Unless a new bug is found in the Widgets, I believe that once you have your own working Widget, your main concern with that Widget should be on keeping that Widget updated with fresh content, and not be wasting your time messing around with, special size and color, requests.

After I saw the problem with the Widgets size and color issue, I went on my own and learned how to do my own version of those Javascript Widgets, so after I played around for a long time with my own version of the Widgets, I discovered that I was able to use my Widget as is, on a page that I had made the necessarily CSS and column adjustments, but if I tried to use that same Widget on another page or another site on were I have a different CSS or different page layout, I will encounter the same color and width issue, that I had before.

But, I found a master solution to my own Widgets version, and now I can just use any of my Widgets on any page or site, regardless of what CSS colors, or what size design layout I was using on that page or on that other site.

My own solution to the Widgets color, and width issue, is this:

I don't use any special color on the content container code.
    I don't use any special color on the tab links on the code.

And now any of my different Widgets, will inherit any color I am using on that page, or any color I decide to use on that Widget, without me having to adapt my page, to any color preset that the Widget would carry by default.

Also, instead of using any preset size width, like for example:

width: 300px
    width: 400px;
    width: 500px
    width: 600px

Etc, etc, I simply use:

width: 100%;

And now, any of my different size Widgets will auto fit on any page that I decide to use them, and without me having to worry about the Widget leaving a space gap on the left and right side of my columns, because the Widget is narrow, or without me having to worry about the Widget being to wide and not be able to use it on that page because it won't fit.

I just do with my Widgets code, the samething I do with other scripts code, I simply place the code inside a table with ( table border="0" width="100%" ) and now my Widgets will fit anywhere.

It's up to each SAS merchant to decide on how they want to make their own Widgets look, and while I will agree that some of the already made Widgets look nice color-wise, I think that even if some merchants decide to stick with their own color choise, and Widgets size, I think it would be a good idea to have an extra Widget made, without colors or preset size, that way more affiliates will be able to use them as is, instead of having to ask you to make unnecessary extra requests.

Now that I know how the Widgets are made, and how the Widgets can be done, I should not have to complain about any new Widgets issues.

Well....., maybe if they are not updated in the future, and show an expired coupon, I might have to complain, or not! :-)

I'm done with this long post.

Mr. Sal
    Am not quite sure if I completely understand what you're saying or not?

"I simply place the code inside a table with ( table border="0" width="100%" )"

I'm not sure if you're saying this solves the width issue some people are having or are you saying this will do something to the colors, too? I tried placing the widget information in a table and it looks the same to me as if I didn't. As stated earlier in this thread, I'm not having any issues with the widgets not fitting on the pages since I'm just using html. They're a little larger than I'd like lol but that's ok in most instances since I'm not having to list the coupons, offers, etc. it sorta takes up the same amount of space for the widgets that have the coupons, etc.

The colors are still the same. What I'm not quite sure of is:
    By doing what you've suggested is it also, doing something to colors for you or are you additionally using some css or something else to get around that.

Agree with you completely, the poor affiliate managers will be getting all sorts of requests for certain sizes and colors, so rather than request anything I'd much rather be able to make the changes myself. So, just asking if you're using css or something to solve the color issue or
    "I simply place the code inside a table with ( table border="0" width="100%" )" solves that but just for some reason isn't for me because I'm not using the css or whatever else it is you're doing or there's some other reason it's not doing that for me.

Regardless of color issues, I love these little widgets.

I'm not sure if you're saying this solves the width issue some people are having or are you saying this will do something to the colors, too? I tried placing the widget information in a table and it looks the same to me as if I didn't.
    Purplebear, maybe I didn't explained the right way, but what I am saying is that since I now can make my own Widgets, and almost identical to any merchant Widgets, because I took the time to go and search the net, and find the way how those Widgets are made.

Of course the current Widgets already made on SAS are not going to auto-fit everyones tables, and that's because the merchants are using a fix number of px's on their CSS code, so one size eventually will not fit everywhere.

But if they chose to make the ( width: 100%; ) or width=100% or whatever their code uses for the width size, a 100% or ( liquid size ), then, and only then, will their Widgets will auto-fit on any size table or containers that the affiliates are already using on ther sites.

I don't know what exact script code SAS is using for the Widgets, but since I believe that they are using a widgets.js and a widgets.css file, if they change the size and colors code on the widgets.css alone, I think they should be able to make a general widgets, and then their affiliates would be able to add their own color and sizes, without the need of every other affiliate having the same exact duplicate widget, that everyone else have.

One simple example:

Just take a look at how you can pick your own colors and sizes. with the javascript code that GoldenCan uses.

I didn't make this thread for me to complain, or talk bad about the SAS widgets, I just made it to give the merchants a simple idea that may save them from some overflow of affiliates requests later.

And I will repeat again for the last time, all of the SAS Widgets that I have tested, they all work fine as they were intended, so in reality they don't really have to fix any color, or size issues if they don't want to, because at the end, it's us the affiliates, the one's who decide what Widgets will be usable as is on our sites, and for what Widgets we are willing to make some changes on our sites, in order to accommodate one of those premade one-size only Widget.

----------

" Purplebear, maybe I didn't explained the right way,"

Nope, I'm sure you explained it just fine, I just have a talent for not understanding things very well at times. lol Not one of my brighter moments probably. lol Shoulda realized that there had to be more to it than just being able to put them in a table and have them change. lol I'm extremely impressed with you that you're able to make you own widgets.

I did understand completely this part about your post. I realize you weren't complaining about the widgets, just trying to be helpful.

I agree with what you said, too. I've placed another one on my site now, and both of them are working just fine. I love them

Soon as I learn how to read while I'm sleeping I'm gonna learn css and php then maybe I'll be able to make my own widgets too.

Actually, this should be a SAS fix in my opinion.

It looks like the widgets use variables to insert the afftrack and affiliate id. I believe that the same could be done for the color choices (possibly the width) as well.

Example from Crazy For Bargains (currently):
    HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    sas9tabidvalue = '62285';
    sas9tabafftrackvalue = '';
    // -->
    </script>
    Example from Crazy For Bargains (new variables):
    HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    sas9tabidvalue = '62285';
    sas9tabafftrackvalue = '';
    sas9tabcolorvalue = '#ff0000';
    sas9tabwidthvalue = '95%';
    // -->
    </script>
    This would help with the large widgets to fit full page size as well as the smallers ones that house coupon codes or best selling items to fit into navigation columns or small spaces in the main body of the page.

Just my 2¢
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Also most of the widgets I have looked at have a black border. I would like to see affilite manager stop putting a box around the widget. If I put a 500px width on my page that as a width of 780 it looks bad. If someone wants a box around the widget they can put the widget code in a table with a border.

I also love the idea of setting width to 95-100%

My 2˘

Am I the only one who's noticed that affiliates post in threads like this one with specific questions/problems/suggestions about useful widgets -- while merchants either haven't made widgets or don't seem to be responding by incorporating important factors that would allow us to modify size, shape, etc., of the widgets.

Ah, well. It's early in the SAS widget game, I'm sure.

And I DO NOT MEAN to treat lightly those SAS affiliate managers/merchants who've done well with widgets and responded promptly with custom sizes.

I just really don't know hardly anything about javascript, widget creation, etc., myself. But it sure seems to be that some very practical, "do-able" suggestions have been made in this thread by Mr. Sal and Nature Boy, that ought to be implemented.

Ah, well, I know very little about it. And I have no idea 1) whether affiliates are really using the widgets, and, 2) whether the widgets are working well enough to be worth it.

Maybe "Make a Page" really is the height of usability and marketing technology?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Maybe "Make a Page" really is the height of usability and marketing technology?
    If the widget is the wrong size or presents a color/scheme clash, I won't use it.
    If the affiliate can't specify sizes on the fly, then I think merchants should create a few examples and follow sizes that many affiliates would probably desire:
    Ideally I would like a widget that measures 425 pixels (w)
    and I'm interested in a widget that measures 175 pixels (w) for a side bar.

Maybe there should be a poll about sizes

The good thing about "make-a-page" is that I can specify that I only want one large item to appear in each row down the column, then I treat the products that appear as product links, I only copy the product link information--I don't use the "make-a-page" info/format/schema to actually make any of my web pages, nor do I use its CSS. "Make-a-page" is really an individual product link mechanism for me.

Kudos to Mr. Sal for raising some important issues -- and Kudos to Gary for including "Make-a-Page" as a parallel/comparison. I wish Make-a-Page would take & offer products from multiple vendors as it once did.
    Last edited by Rhia7; June 9th, 2007 at 12:39 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I love the "Make a Page, too and use if an awful lot. Love how I can determine the size of the image, wording, etc. Definitely will continue to use it. Have no plans at all to stop with it.

Guess the big advantage for me with the widgets is that in the space they occupy, depending on which you have, you may have a tab for women's clothing, men's clothing, children's clothing and coupons. Those 4 tab options being in that one little widget ( ok, not quite little) is saving me an awful lot of space on the page. What I've been doing now is just making a table on the page and putting the widget in part of it and using the rest to put other things in. Cos of just using html I'm not having any size issues with them at all and the table lets me use up the other space. So far, working out quite well.

Do admit....the colors. In a perfect world lol they'd all be in shades of purple.....so if I can look at em and get close enough to resembling some sorta purpley looking blue or red lol that's fine. Some are definitely no way close to even remotely resembling purple, I'm afraid I'm not gonna use cos they do just sorta clash I guess. (sound silly goin on about the colors lol )

Agree with what's been said. Would also like to have no border with them, would love color options and sizes in a perfect world. This is just something new that's been started tho so I guess it takes some time to get things changed to please everybody....til then I'm gonna just try to be very patient. (Not smart enough to know what all's involved with them, but am sure it'll get worked out in time)

I'm sure if I asked some affiliate managers they would work on making the changes....just don't have the heart to do that tho cos I'm sure they were a lot of work to create, some have had issues they've had to work on fixing and if every affiliate started asking for their own sizes, colors, etc. am sure that would be an awful lotta work....so just gonna be patient and am sure they'll get it all worked out. They may all be waiting to see just how many of us are gonna use them before time's spent working on them more.??

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I don't use the "make-a-page" info/format/schema to actually make any of my web pages, nor do I use its CSS. "Make-a-page" is really an individual product link mechanism for me.
    Ah, good to hear. Glad to know I'm not the only one doing stuff like that.

I've even used the "guts" of a "Make-a-Page" run to put together some ads on that USFreeAds website. (I get a fair amount of traffic to those ads, but not yet any buyers.)

I really, really would like to see SOME sort of ability for affiliates to tweak, change size, change color, etc., on the widgets.

Maybe I'm just being impatient and it'll all come around eventually. I'm reminded of that old prayer: "Dear Lord, please give me patience -- and hurry it up, 'cause I need it right now!"
    Generate more fake news.

Writerguy - that's how I'm using the make a page, too (not the USFreeAds) never even had heard of that, but making individual product images or maybe just anywhere from a couple to maybe 10. Never have used it for an actual page. lol I used to use the individual product maker a lot too but not sure it's been working lately.

As for the ability to tweak them. Not quite that, but if you're in any of Loxly's programs she does have posts for them asking for any suggestions or requests that people may want. Really would be ideal for us if they just had kinda generic widgets that we could then play with. lol Some am's have said to let them know, but just feel bad requesting things from them so I haven't. I've heard that prayer, too. lol

I'd like to throw in my $0.02 if I may.

Would be nice to see some plain white, black, or neutral colored widgets. Most merchants seem to be aiming at a theme, or color combination, and that doesn't always match well. Bright pastel colors, etc.

I'm not saying any of them look bad, just that it would be nice to see some plain ones. No borders, or plain whites. Then we could put our own colors around them and make them look good on our sites.

ABW Ambassador
    To All SAS Merchants Making Widgets:

Would you please stick with the original size of your widgets?

I'm asking this is because recently I've found some widgets on my sites change their sizes magicly(some getting longer, some getting wider). Since I have other contents and product display on the same page, the entire page looks really funny.

I appreciate merchants' effort on creating different sizes of widgets for affilites to choose from. But once I select the ones that fits on my sites, I don't expect them to stretch out and mess up my pages.

Please stick with the original size of your widgets. Thank you.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread