LinkShare Acquires TrafficStrategies.com
    LinkShare, Leading Pay-Per-Action Marketing Network, Acquires Online Lead Generation Firm Traffic Strategies.com

NEW YORK, June 4, 2007 – LinkShare Corporation, a leading pay-per-action marketing network, announced today that it has acquired Traffic Strategies.com, a privately held Tampa, Florida-based online lead generation firm.

The acquisition expands LinkShare’s lead generation capabilities, continues the international expansion of Rakuten—LinkShare’s parent company—and accelerates the growth of LinkShare’s online lead generation business. LinkShare will incorporate Traffic Strategies.com’s lead generation expertise into the company's existing business and extend its lead generation service offerings.

“LinkShare’s pay-per-action marketing expertise across affiliate, search, and services will be complemented by Traffic Strategies.com’s expertise in online lead generation,” said Stephen R. Denton, President of LinkShare. “In addition to the high quality traffic generated by our network, LinkShare will now be able to offer our clients a multi-channel distribution platform for online lead generation.”

Established in 1996, LinkShare Corporation provides its clients with a platform that integrates high quality direct response digital media, services and technology. The company’s products and services span affiliate, search and other online marketing programs. LinkShare clients are Fortune 500 and prominent companies who want to maximize their marketing on the Internet.

Founded in 2001, Traffic Strategies.com develops and implements custom lead generation programs that leverage industry expertise, proprietary technology and consumer-facing channels to help clients achieve their online customer acquisition goals.

“By joining with LinkShare, a firm with global operations, Traffic Strategies.com will gain access to new markets,” said Mark McClure, President of Traffic Strategies.com, “as well as broader technology and service resources.”

While Traffic Strategies.com Chairman William C. McClure plans to retire after a 30 year career, Traffic Strategies.com’s senior management team including Mark McClure, will remain with the company to help drive the growth of LinkShare’s lead generation business.
    Source: http://www.linkshare.com/press/leadgen.html
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    this paragraph...

“LinkShare’s pay-per-action marketing expertise across affiliate, search, and services will be complemented by Traffic Strategies.com’s expertise in online lead generation,” said Stephen R. Denton, President of LinkShare. “In addition to the high quality traffic generated by our network, LinkShare will now be able to offer our clients a multi-channel distribution platform for online lead generation.”

make it sound like...

we've got the high quality traffic from our affiliate network, now we also have the other kind of traffic from lead gen stuff that we now also do...

More like ... hey, we just acquired an affiliate.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

so they bought an affiliate to compete with he affiliates in their network.

wow

i wouldn't be suprised if they are LS' super affiliate
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Trafficstrategies is a SEM super affiliate.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Traffic Strategies ran my PPC and SEO campaigns for Thompson Cigar, Linensource, Casual Living and Cafe Belmondo for about 5 years.

They definately know what they are doing. Mark and Chad are good guys. They also have great seats for the Buccaneer games...

Affiliate Manager davidscookies's Avatar
    Lots of opinions here - both positive and negative. I'm going to keep an open mind and talk to them at the show in 2 weeks to see what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla
    They definitely know what they are doing.
    Point of clarification:
    I never meant to even remotely imply that they don't nor besmirch their [trafficstrategies] reputation.

Now that that is clear, I find it really intriguing that LS bought them!

Is it to compete with CPA networks or to work with them?

Isn't this really just a conflict of interest - (a Network owning an Affiliate)? Weren't CJ employees asked to leave because of the conflict of them also being affiliates?

Oh yes there is more, but why am I the only one to ask these questions?

Edited to add:
    Let's remember that this isn't Messer's LS anymore, the communication levels aren't even close to what they were before.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have spoke to the owners before and met them personally. Owners are nice people but I can't really comment about them as I do not have much info about it.
    Big players in the PPC realm and definately on LS' radar when it comes to PPC affiliates.

As to why LS bought them, I can only speculate.

As H said, there could be a conflict of interest but at the same time, maybe LS bought them because they saw them as an asset that would complement them. Consider this talent and asset acquisition. If Traf. Strategies keep on their existing track as a super PPC affiliate, I am sure that it might not sit well within LS and the aff industry.

Only time will tell as to how this will pan out.

Edit: Definately agree that communications can be improved.

Affiliate Manager
    I've met Mark before and really enjoyed talking with him in person and virtual.

I am glad to see his hard work pay off.

That said...I am also surprised that more people aren't at least INTERESTED in the acquisition. Forget about concerned or confused, but I would think this is really big news. This is the Rakuten Linkshare making their very first affiliate acquisition which just so happens to be a large player on other networks as well.

That isn't interesting? Or are we dismissing trafficstrategies as an affiliate and calling them purely a SEM firm? I can't say that I was ever walked through the books, but I was under the distinct impression that they derived a significant amount of income from search arbitrage as an affiliate.

If they were picked up purely because they are a strong SEM firm, what's that say about the SEM marketing services that Linkshare offers? I was under the impression that they still had a fair client list. So, was this a boost to that? Was this a quiet "no confidence" vote?

And...agreement on the communication front.

Errr... SEM?

Thank you Gregg, I was having a conniption here.

Skunster,

SEM = Search Engine Marketing
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that Traffic Strategies speciallizes in lead generation (specifically in the real estate and insurance industries) and that their SEM efforts are complimentary to that business. I didn't think that SEM arbitrage was their primary revenue stream?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by BG4512
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that Traffic Strategies speciallizes in lead generation (specifically in the real estate and insurance industries) and that their SEM efforts are complimentary to that business. I didn't think that SEM arbitrage was their primary revenue stream?

I can't really speak authoritatively to primary revenue stream. I have never been privy to the books. It could be arbitrage, could be consulting, could be lead generation.

I do know personally that they do a solid job of arbitrage from paying them commissions for programs that I have run(all retail oriented, not lead gen). Given that info, I would have to think that arbitrage is/was/shall be planned to be a large chunk of their revenue.

All around, pretty interesting they were snagged. Pepperjam seems to swim in similar waters with consulting, arbitrage, lead gen, and the added affiliate program management. And of course, Linkshare is always looking for account managers...wouldn't that be interesting?

I am keeping an eye on kris jones' blog to see if he talks more about this. He already had a quick blurb.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread