Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Yahoo Discounted CPC charges
    Got an interesting email from Yahoo today. Thought I'd pass it on. If in fact they do actually administer to the program in good faith, it may be a plus for Y.

This type thing could open the door to a better policing of their partner sites and perhaps increased quality in their traffic if they really follow through. However I don't see it as increasing traffic. In light of their endless snafus lately, I'm taking more of a wait and see approach. Here's the crux of the message.....

Quality-Based Pricing Launches

Key Features:
    • We'll evaluate the quality of traffic from our distribution partners' sites.
    • Your click charges can be discounted based on the value of that traffic.
    • Discounts will automatically be applied to your account.

In an ongoing effort to raise the value of our Sponsored Search and Content Match products, we're pleased to announce the phased rollout of a new feature that we believe will help increase the value of Yahoo! Search Marketing traffic to our advertisers. This feature, called quality-based pricing, is designed to measure the value of the traffic coming from our distribution partners' websites and price clicks accordingly for our advertisers.

What is Changing?
    Previously all traffic was treated the same—you were charged the same for traffic from all web sites within our network. With quality-based pricing, you may be charged less for certain clicks than you normally would pay, depending on the overall quality of the websites that are providing this traffic to you. As a result, your click charges can decrease.

How will Click Charges be Discounted?
    "Quality" is calculated based on conversion rates and other measurements of the ability to deliver more interested and valuable customers to you from particular distribution partner sites. Discounts will be automatically applied to your account.

When will this Start?
    This feature will roll out beginning today, and we plan to continue to expand it over time. This is just one of the things we're doing, along with future projects like domain-level blocking, to help increase the quality and value of traffic that we deliver to you.

What Do I Need to Do?

There's nothing you need to do to receive a discount—your click charges may be discounted based on the quality of traffic you receive. Keep in mind that the amount of the discounts may vary between advertisers: Some may experience a noticeable decrease in overall cost-per-click, while others may experience only a small decrease in spend.

Do I Need to Change how I Bid?
    Quality-based pricing does not change how you bid on particular keywords. As we announced in February, both bid amount and ad quality now determine an ad's rank in search results. As always, you never pay more than your max bid.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Not bad. We were just talking about this during breakfast with Donuts and Liquidate.

Liquidate likes what Y! have done, it did not live up to Donuts' expectation, for me - we had to gut everything out and start from step 1. Lots of work and traffic is not there yet when it comes to volume.

Hopefully this will give us better quality and reduce the cost

Honestly, I tend to receive any news from Yahoo with a "wait for substance" mindset. 6 years of experience with them has taught that lesson well. In recent years I have seen nothing from Y that was truly beneficial to the advertiser once implemented; but I always leave room for possibilities.

It "might" be that the new powers that be at Y have swallowed the bitter pill of reality and recognize how much customer loyalty they have lost, the advertiser market share they have squandered, and the loss of trust their actions have cost them. Note I say that it "might" be.

The concept of a SE actually measuring click charges based on traffic quality sounds inviting. Certainly, it is a practice that SHOULD be practiced by all SE's.

However, at best the "quality" of traffic is an unknown that is easily manipulated. They offer no specific "quality" identification criteria to advertisers, who could then more interactively develop their campaigns. Instead, from what I read and what the rep and I discussed today, the bar for "quality" is a moving target. I suspect that in practice, Y will apply some miniscule credit to peddle their so called new look and promote a new advertiser friendly image. But in actual practice, it remains to be seen if there will actually be a burger inside the bun. If indeed they insult advertisers with continued / predictable hocus pocus, it will only decrease their credibility further.

I'll wait and see.......
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    I tend to receive any news from Yahoo with a "wait for substance" mindset.
    A lesson I continue to relearn as well.

As they pursue "being like G" (in their ad interface), we're seeing Smart Pricing here. I'd like to see ad approval involve fewer humans (speed, quality and consistency demands more automation), more campaign negs allowed, allowing affiliate DTM PPC for everyone (including affs and agencies), integration of reporting and control (versus separated reporting... in G, control features are mingled with reported stats, which makes working far easier), keyword freedom (they disapprove very targeted stuff because they think like big branders instead of focusing on the consumer's needs above all else), MCC availability, interface speed and many other such G winning aspects.

To innovate requires talent, will and brainpower (G has it). Y should be doing a much better job of follow the leader than they are, because it's far, far simpler to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    A lesson I continue to relearn as well.

As they pursue "being like G" (in their ad interface), we're seeing Smart Pricing here. I'd like to see ad approval involve fewer humans (speed, quality and consistency demands more automation), more campaign negs allowed, allowing affiliate DTM PPC for everyone (including affs and agencies), integration of reporting and control (versus separated reporting... in G, control features are mingled with reported stats, which makes working far easier), keyword freedom (they disapprove very targeted stuff because they think like big branders instead of focusing on the consumer's needs above all else), MCC availability, interface speed and many other such G winning aspects.

To innovate requires talent, will and brainpower (G has it). Y should be doing a much better job of follow the leader than they are, because it's far, far simpler to do so.
    As an interesting follow up, when I get my first "discount" adjustment, I'll post the % of total spent (won't list the actual dollar amount spent) for the period and those of us who use Y ca see if the percentage used is a set % for all advertisers, or if it truly varies by advertiser, traffic source, product etc. Might be interesting to see.

I know that until sometime last year, I'd get a "click fraud" adjustment every once in a while from Y, but it was real minimal, which led me to think that it was more of a gesture than an accurate reflection of fact. Hopefully this will be different. I agree that hopefully they will one day follow the leader and stop trying to re-invent the wheel. A round wheel always works better than a hexagon... Word..

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread