Post Linkshare's Great Tool - But...
    Linkshare has a great linking tool and it has been around for years. (I've recently started using it more often and wanted share this with newbies) With it, you can generate affiliate links to any page of the merchant's website you want to promote. Very useful for direct product links also useful when you don't see a ready link pointing where you want it to. And the tool itself is not diffcult to use.

But, as is always the case with Linkshare, the tool is not presented in a way that is easy to locate and use. It's under "Individual Product" section of "Avaliable Link Types". You will a see sentence like this:

"Click here if you are an advanced user and wish to browse the following merchant's website for a particular product: Merchant Name"

- This is not descriptive of the what this tool is about. "Link To Any Page" or "Link To Any Product" would be better.

- You don't really need to be an advanced user; if you can copy and paste texts, you can easily use this tool.

- When you generate a Linkshare link with this tool, that link is not activated for about 5 minutes (beats me). So if you try your link within that 5 minutes you will see it's redirected to merchant's homepage. Then you're very likely to dismiss that link as not working. But it starts working properly after that period. A little note explaining this would be very useful for first timers.

So go ahead Linkshare, implement this QA tips and I won't even charge you for it

Linkshare page link
    Hi Sam

I've been with Linkshare for ages and not seen it.

Big thank you for pointing it out.

I've been using that a while. You can just but anything in the display-text box, and then just pull the http://linksynergy url part, and put your own html in there instead, and it works.

Internet Cowboy
    I too have never seen it. This is a reason I have passed on many LS merchants in the past. Thanks Sam.

We can sure as hell find that "legal message" page though. What a trainwreck of a network.

ABW Ambassador
    If I understand correctly what you're referring to, I don't believe that this is available for every merchant. With some merchants you must use the product links they provide and with others there is no option for individual product links, you only get banners and text links.

If I misunderstand, I'd love more info, because I have not promoted some merchants because of the lack of IPLs.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    We can sure as hell find that "legal message" page though. What a trainwreck of a network.
    You mean this one?

We are unable to validate one or more pieces of your profile information at this time. We recognize that this may piss you off
    Every time I log in there and see that it reminds me of and old Twilight Zone episode where they declare "You are Obsolete" then the state eliminates you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    - When you generate a Linkshare link with this tool, that link is not activated for about 5 minutes (beats me). So if you try your link within that 5 minutes you will see it's redirected to merchant's homepage. Then you're very likely to dismiss that link as not working. But it starts working properly after that period. A little note explaining this would be very useful for first timers.
    I always thought that this is funny since at the top of the pop-up where the links are created it says in bold "TEST THIS LINK" above the newly created link. Below the link in the smallest type possible it states:

Note: Please allow up to an hour for the link you just created above to be updated into our database. Until it gets updated, the link will redirect to the home page instead of the product page. If after an hour, your link still does not redirect properly, please email us at http://www.linkshare.com/support, and include the linking code that you generated, the product page to which this link should be redirected, as well as the date and time that you generated this link.

It is a great tool, but I sent LS several e-mails that the tool was not working before I spotted the text at the bottom. So, I never said I was bright.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    If I understand correctly what you're referring to, I don't believe that this is available for every merchant. With some merchants you must use the product links they provide and with others there is no option for individual product links, you only get banners and text links.

If I misunderstand, I'd love more info, because I have not promoted some merchants because of the lack of IPLs.
    You're right, not every merchant has implemented the tool. I would imagine that they want more control.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    Aunt Lily, you are right. Some merchants have it while some will not.

I am all about teaching and empowering affiliates but for Wyndham Vacation Resorts, we do not have it as it has something to do with our internal tracking system and in order to have any issues, it is not enabled.
    After all, I am always here and can create a link for you any time.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Generally merchants that allow links to any pages (deep linking) have it activated and those that do not don't. It is a great tool and it is a shame it is stashed away so deep in the site.... and beyond that tool is another hidden tool which allows you to upload a text file of links and generate links to multiple pages at one time.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

does anyone know of a way to do a direct linking without going into Linkshare? I know there has to be a way, I see some other affiliates do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    .... and beyond that tool is another hidden tool which allows you to upload a text file of links and generate links to multiple pages at one time.
    Are there instructions available on the use of the uploading of text file of links to generate the multiple pages tool? I do not know how to use it and would appreciate any advice.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Yes, I would be interested in this as well.

Linkshare does offer direct linking to about 100 merchants but you have to sign up for the Merchandiser Data Feed Program. It costs $250.

http://helpcenter.linkshare.com/publ...?questionid=62

They also have a free way called LinkLocator but this free tool doesn't allow direct linking.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread