Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anybody use Squidoo?
    I've heard about Squidoo for a few months but never done anything there.

Two days ago I built my first Squidoo "lens" -- that's their geeky talk for pages or mini-website, or whatever, built around a specific key word(s) and/or niche topic.

I picked up a free (had to give my name and an email address) ebook about building and optimizing lenses. Gave it a try three days ago for one built around the keywords "overnight hiking trips."

This morning I googled "overnight hiking trips" (with the quotes) -- and that silly little lens is number one. I did it without the quotes and it's number 6 or 7 (I think).

So now I'm just sitting back and waiting for the traffic flow and money to come rolling in.

OK, maybe not. But it's fascinating to think about. They let you build unlimited lenses and I'm getting on it today full force. It only takes about an hour to put up something decent, and they allow you to include affiliate links. Their one hard rule is that you include quality original content in your lens.

Being a "writerguy" it's almost too easy. I really am interested in seeing what happens.

Anybody else using Squidoo? Any results -- good or bad?

EDITED TO ADD THIS: Now that's really bizarre. The lens shows up big time in Google as I described above -- but isn't listed in Yahoo or MSN? I basically see all SEO and stuff as a great mystery yet, but I've aleays heard that Google is harder to get a good listing in than Y or M? Any thoughts?

Gary the Writerguy
    Last edited by writerguy; June 5th, 2007 at 09:18 AM.

Using Squidoo
    Squidoo is a Seth Godin project, and I like him and the concept very much.

Regarding SEO, Google loves Squidoo, it has a bucketload of quality backlinks and quality information, so for non competitive terms (such as overnight hiking trips, for example), it's easy to rank. See if it's still there in 2-3 weeks, though. Also, most people don't search for things in quotes, so you should always try your search phrases without the quotes.

Yahoo! doesn't update their SERPs as quickly as Google so you may have to wait a bit to see if anything happens there.

Try doing this with loans, insurance, or any of the really competitive terms out there and you'll still need to do good ol seo - link building, on site optimization, etc.

None the less it's a great start - keep up the good work!

Oz

I've used it, but I haven't really done too much with it yet. It brings in a bit of traffic now. However, it is on my list as one of those things I need to update. I've heard people can do pretty well with it if you create something useful.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

All I've heard about Squidoo is it gets good rankings for those who post. I think once Google becomes keen to this those rankings may tank. Google doesn't like giving free rides.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Several affiliates I know have used it for the last year to add additional SERP's for their sites. Some have built a couple dozen to focus on keyword subsets. Google gives it a strong backlink and you will see the following. It may rank above your domain if you write it for those keywords. After 2-4 weeks it will reindex generally below your domain but may disappear for a week before doing so. Yahoo and MSN take another month to index. If you don't refresh the lens with new content frequently the listing will fall, as is any SEO. Its good for niche terms!!

I recommend it to newbies who apply to my programs without a website to review. It can be used as a cheap test to see if your terms can get ranked. You do however lose the AdSense to Seth.

Squidoo says they will monitor pages remove that seems spammy. That means the Google love for Squidoo will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Squidoo says they will monitor pages remove that seems spammy. That means the Google love for Squidoo will continue.
    I haven't taken a close look at it, but I would hope there's a button to flag something as spam or explicit. Digg does a nice job of handling this. Considering Facebook just opened itself up to everybody this seems to be the trend. But I don't think Facebook contributors are after PR though.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of them do rank nicely, I've tried a few out myself. It's working now for a lot of people but don't see much of a future in it. I think it'll eventually get nailed and it'll be a big story to lot of bloggers and then I'll link from those blogs to this post. They way they talk about Google in the FAQ about PR and boosting your other sites, never think that's smart.

"It only takes about an hour to put up something decent"

Usually you get what you put**, kind of like all those replicated feed sites that took a hit years ago.

** Yours is good and there are some other real good ones.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    A lot of our Affiliates have used the Affiliate RSS feeds in AvantLink to incorporate dynamic product level and coupon/promo feed campaigns into their relevant lenses. Just configure an RSS campaign subscription in AvantLink and then add it to your lens using Squidoo's RSS module. It's as simple as pasting in a URL and adding a headline/description.

writerguy has done a great job with this recently!

I've seen good sales volume through several lenses so far so it's encouraging, but Trust is probably right. It won't last forever.

Gary M

ABW Ambassador
    So it does work. I have one that I did, put about 15 minutes in. Then I was like eh, going to go work on my sites. Now it's on page 2 Google for the keyword I was targetting. And I have it linking to my forum. Now I have one site that I link to from my forum, the forum is a standalone forum but kind of part of the site too. It was a site I stopped working on, kind of hoped it would die out so I can start a new one. But then I noticed that site getting traffic for the first time in years today. So not sure if it's because of Squidoo or not. Interesting.

MSN Japan also loves it For this phrase I'm targetting, first 5 results MSN Japan

1. My blog about the niche
    2. My forum, lots of topics, niche is one of them
    3. A page on my niche site
    4. Some site in Japanese
    5. My Squidoo lens on the niche

So 4/5 of the top results. Now only if that was MSN US and even better Google, then it would something.

Thanks for the update Trust. Now I've really got to put some work into by squidoo site...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Just curious for those who have lenses that are ranking pretty good in Google. How are they ranking in Yahoo or MSN? I always hear Google but never Yahoo or MSN.

Little conspiracy fun. Squidoo is full of Adsense. Google makes money. This is started by Seth Godin. Launches in March 2006. Same month and year he gave a speech at Google. While I like them ranking nicely in Google and will take advantage of it while it does. It's really an A B C way of making a page, very template. Even the one I have ranking on page 2 for the term I wanted, only took me 15 minutes to make. No outside links in. But other pages on the same term, been around for years, good links in is further down the results.

Thanks for this. I got a lens quite a while ago through BzzAgent and never touched it. Seems like its worth looking into!
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

ABW Ambassador
    Agree with a lot on that page:

"You end up with a lot cookie-cutter lenses made up of pre-made modules."

What I just posted:

"It's really an A B C way of making a page, very template."

So how is Google ranking them nicely? Only thing I can think of is those lenses are draped in Adsense, $$$$. Can't think of any other reasons. How a template page you can make in 15 minutes or so ranks that good, that quick. Because Squidoo is an authority site that passes a lot of juice? It launched just a little over a year ago. We'll see. But in the meantime, starting July 1, I'm going to make 1 lens a day. And they'll be as good as I can make them, given the limited template tools available.

I'm going to be posting results as an experiment, little diary of my Squidoo efforts

First one I made and put some time into, page 2 Google within a week, page 1 with quotes but most don't search that way. Searching on the phrase without quotes in Google 900,000+ results. One I made on Friday has less than 500,000 results. So we'll see how that one does. I think going after the long tail type keywords will yield some good results. I'm going to be going after phrases with less than 1 million results. Will see how it goes. For all I know that might be the only one I get ranked.

It reminds me a little of this thread and post 18:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=money+future

And that thread was made at the height of the template, replicate the merchant catalog datafeed sites just dominating the SERPS. You could type a product into Google and page 1 would have mostly affiliate feed sites. And they got nailed later on. Same feeling with this.
    Last edited by Trust; June 25th, 2007 at 05:07 AM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Looks like it's definitely time for a rare burst of w*rk by me.

And that thread was made at the height of the template, replicate the merchant catalog datafeed sites just dominating the SERPS. You could type a product into Google and page 1 would have mostly affiliate feed sites. And they got nailed later on. Same feeling with this.
    Quit quibbling and eat the free lunch while they're serving it

ABW Ambassador
    I am and I agree

"But in the meantime, starting July 1, I'm going to make 1 lens a day."

Let's all bathe in the Squidoo juice while it's there, lol. Hopefully my second one gets in this week, I'm real curious now as to where it's going to rank. If it's good, I might become addicted to Squidoo I should have jumped on it last year when people were talking about how good they were doing in Google.

Have to find the next Squidoo, from the start.

Leader, I think you could get some traffic/some juice into your bulb site from Squidoo. Your top sellers, make a lens for each one and you might have to write some......wait for it...........content Just a little tho, doesn't seem to take much.
    Last edited by Trust; June 25th, 2007 at 05:34 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    On a side note just noticed the first post was edited with some extra info, what I was asking about:

"EDITED TO ADD THIS: Now that's really bizarre. The lens shows up big time in Google as I described above -- but isn't listed in Yahoo or MSN? I basically see all SEO and stuff as a great mystery yet, but I've aleays heard that Google is harder to get a good listing in than Y or M? Any thoughts?"

Only thing I can come up with is my little conspiracy theory above but MSN Japan loves my Squidoo, nothing in the U.S.
    Last edited by Trust; June 25th, 2007 at 06:06 AM.

Leader, I think you could get some traffic/some juice into your bulb site from Squidoo. Your top sellers, make a lens for each one and you might have to write some......wait for it...........content Just a little tho, doesn't seem to take much.
    I have a few other sites in mind, actually. *quick-check* My affiliates seem to have the specific-bulb listings pretty well handled. And, my Froogle listing is up there for some of them.

So for bulbs, I'll go after some of the broader terms. You could call it the "mid" tail.

But I'm mentally making pages for other things, too. There's a whole world of stuff to promote. So many things, so little time (or maybe a lot of time! Ya never know, with G)!

I should have jumped on it last year when people were talking about how good they were doing in Google.
    And here I was, wishing I'd bothered to read this thread before today! LOL

Another thing to explore is that I'm pretty sure Squidoo does revenue sharing, so you can make money if the ads on your lens perform well. I'm encouraged by the results some people have gotten, especially Trust. I've moved updating my Squidoo lens to the top of my list!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    And here I was, wishing I'd bothered to read this thread before today! LOL

Can't say it better my self. I shall explore Squidoo more soon

When I got over there, I found out that somebody had signed up as "Leader" already.
    It's fairly typical to find that name already taken, but I couldn't resist trying a few of my email addresses to see if I'd signed up in some half-asleep daze or something. (None worked.)

In the end I picked a totally different name.

My first lens is up, it took about 1 1/2 hours. But now that I've seen just how the system works, I'll probably be able to knock that down to under an hour.

ABW Ambassador
    Keep the thread up to date, I'm curious to see if we can get our lenses ranking nicely. The last one I worked on isn't in yet.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Leader don't worry so much about your name. (I'm sure you realize this already but...) Optimize your various lens titles and URLs around keywords you're targeting.

For example build a lens about Bulbs and then link up your site. If you build enough content you're lens will rank and drive your online store some business. If Goodbulbs has an RSS feed you can easily syndicate your content to Squidoo using their RSS module.

Squidoo is slick.. many Affiliates are reporting high rankings to me.. and thus traffic to the lens itself and/or commissions straight from their various lenses that they're monetizing..

Action Jackson - King of the World
    At first I was lost especially when it came to the selling stuff as I didn't see a place to use our aff ids. Then I read the FAQ and see that they must pay us directly keeping 50%. I'm still having trouble figuring how to get them from Squidoo to my site besides just a single referral I used in my intro.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    At first I was lost especially when it came to the selling stuff as I didn't see a place to use our aff ids. Then I read the FAQ
    Where do you find their FAQ? I suppose it's just me, but I personally find the site hard to navigate. I also can't figure out where you are suppose to build your personal profile.

I did go ahead and signed up with them after reading this thread.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast