Problems using Avantlink merchants' RSS feeds on networking site
    Hi,

Don't know whether anybody here builds "lenses" (i.e., mini-websites) on Squidoo.com or not?

I've started using Squidoo, and the amount of traffic it generates is nice.

One feature of the "lenses" is that you can insert affiliate links AND you can insert an RSS feed to display on the site. I've been able to generate coupon/discount RSS feeds with GoldenCAN.com that display perfectly on a Squidoo lens.

But anytime I've tried an Avantlink merchant's RSS, it simply displays the name of the merchant as a clickable link. When you click that link, it goes to the merchant's home page.

Anybody else tried this? Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gary the Writerguy (not to be confused with Gary the Avantlink Guy )

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hi Gary,

Ok let me take a look into this.

In fact, we do have several Affiliates using Squidoo's RSS module to display our Affiliate RSS Feeds (Coupon Feeds and Product Displays)..

Would you mind emailing me a Squidoo lens where you're having the problem and I'll look into it?

Gary M

PS/ Thanks for posting about Squidoo. I was getting ready to start some discussions here and on our blog about how to not only syndicate Affiliate embedded links on your lens, but also the effectiveness of using your lens in building the link popularity to your Affiliate sites!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hi Gary,

I just tested a Coupon Feed for PricePoint.com on a Squidoo lens and it worked perfectly. I also tested one of the RSS subscriptions you've configured in a Squidoo lens and it worked as well.

One of the configuration options in Squidoo's RSS module asks 'Would you like to include an excerpt from each link in the feed?'. If you have 'no excerpt' selected that would explain why you aren't seeing any content besides the link. Try going into your lens and in the RSS module make sure you have 'everything available' selected from the 'Would you like to include an excerpt from each link in the feed?' field.

Let me know how you make out.

Gary M

AH HAH! I think you're onto something with that "no excerpt" option. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks for such a prompt response!

Gary the Writerguy

That seems to have done the trick. It displays all right. It displays differently than the GoldenCAN feed, but it works and gives me better access to the merchant coupons/deals I really wanted to use, i.e., a merchant I could get through Avantlink instead of CJ.

Gary the Writerguy

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread