Online Marketing Consultant
    Effective Newsletter Writing
    Effective Newsletter Writing

Saw that there hasn’t been a guide or tips for writing effective newsletters posted, or a sticky, so why not start a new thread.

Common to all newsletters:

1. Try to remember who your audience is and who you are writing to.

2. Write clearly and remember that not everyone reads at the same level.
    • Avoid using advanced jargon. (unless it is a very specific topic to your site and audience)

• Spell check your work.

• Give them something to think about or entice them to click on the links by teasing them with a short on the content.

• Keep things to the point.

1. You do not want to go off on tangents and make your newsletter 10 pages long. Make it brief so that people will read through it, then give the link to your site or to wherever they can find the remainder or the full version of the article in the newsletter.

3. Remember what the point of the newsletter is.

4. Make sure you clearly define the benefits of the newsletter and what the reader will get out of it.

5. Do not make small statements or make a demand.
    • This doesn’t mean you have to write a book, but you also should say something like (join my program and make money), tell them why they should join your program, or why they should be clicking on the target link.

6. Proof read your work before you send it out.
    • People will pick up on major and some minor errors in your writing. To keep their respect you should make sure everything is as perfect as you can get it. Not only will it continue to keep your readers trust, but it will also show your dedication to providing quality to your audience. ( I need to listen to this myself before I hit post on these forums lol)

7. Remember to include some sort of contact information, whether it is an e-mail address, a phone number or just a link to a contact us form.
    • Keeping in contact or providing a way for your audience to get a hold of you will help you to begin building strong relationships with your reader base.

• Providing a way to get in touch with you builds confidence and trust in the reader as they have a way to know there is a person behind the words and a physical being that they can reach out to if they need to.
      This feeling of a person behind the newsletter is very powerful to an audience who signs up for your letter, but doesn’t trust shopping on the internet, etc… because they now know that there is someone writing to them and they may feel as if they can reach out to that person if there is a problem.

8. If you have a lot of points to make, but you also have a ton of paragraphs, bullets will help you reduce space and keep the readers eyes moving across the letter to completion.

9. Don’t go overdramatic on bright flashing colors and fancy fonts.
    • People are reading for your product/service or information you have agreed to provide. Although the fonts can make your newsletter pretty, it is the info you are giving them that is important. As the saying goes “Too many accessories clutter an outfit” Too many distractions will clutter your letter.

• Capitalizing every word gets old. Yes it stands out, but it can also be taken as yelling at your readers.

10. When punctuating (. , ; ! ?) remember to:
    • Not go overboard with the exclamation points!

• If you punctuate one or two bullets, make sure you to the rest. Consistency is a major key to success. Make sure you follow this with your paragraphs, headers, titles, and side notes as well.

• If you use a variety of different marks, make sure you use them correctly.

11. Remember to source everything that is factual or written by others. This is especially important if you are making direct quotes, using trademarks or stating something that’s validity is questionable.

Affiliate Managers:

Recruitment letters should provide the information on why a person should join your program.
    • Include what the benefits are to the affiliate, not to you!

• Provide valid contact info so your future affiliate/partner can get a hold of you.

Try to think of why the affiliate would not want to join your program and use the remedy in the letter to explain to destroy the objection before they even think of it.

Do not harass the affiliate with tons of e-mails etc… It gets old and obnoxious fast!

Include something about them or their site that is unique and inline with your program so they know:
    • You are not sending a bulk random e-mail to a ton of people.

• You have taken the time to find them and have looked through their site instead of just looking for their contact info.

Monthly newsletters should provide a brief review of:
    • Last month’s performance

• Current promotions or deals

• Important info about your program

• Hints, tips and tricks to help move your products or promote your company

• Proper branding and messaging or a review of your company’s guidelines if you see them being broken by more than a few people.

Affiliates:

Remember why your audience signed up for your letter.
    • Keep on the topic at hand.

• Remember to write for everyone and not just yourself. Although it is important, not everyone knows everything you do and you want to make sure they do not feel left out by not understanding.

You do not always have to have affiliate links or IDs on everything. If there is a site or product out there that is relevant, reference it anyways. It will still add value to your letter and keep them reading future editions.

Adding in cartoons or fun downloads from your newsletter is a great way to keep people opening up your communications. If the downloads are good and within the taste of your topics; people will continue to take advantage of them.

Networks:

Pay attention to both the affiliates section and merchants section of this post and try to combine those into your letters as you need to meet the needs of both of us.

There is a ton of information I have left out of this post in order to get other people to write their thoughts and ideas down and also because I have to get back to work.

Hope this helps!
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

One other quick thing is to remember that your grammar, in most cases, does not have to be perfect. This is especially true in sales and marketing letters. You are writing to an audience who probably does not speak in their language's proper form. Therefore you might want to write in the way they talk.

If you would use proper english for example, "Fly as does the wind", your readers might think it sounds odd or not even know that you meant "Fly like the wind". Just because it is proper english does not mean it is right for your audience.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Good stuff nice job, how about some examples?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Great post!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

very helpful, thanks.

Hints, tips and tricks to help move your products or promote your company
    Adding in cartoons or fun downloads from your newsletter is a great way to keep people opening up your communications. If the downloads are good and within the taste of your topics; people will continue to take advantage of them.
    These two points are sometimes overlooked, but are still important imo. Any new tips or industry tools that you've come across should be shared with affiliates, the more information you provide, the more success you'll both have. The fun stuff is just fun, and often a welcome distraction
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Good stuff nice job, how about some examples?
    I won't post examples as I write newsletters for various programs as well as e-mails as part of a side thing; however an option would be to have you post one or two of yours and people would more than likely be happy to provide feedback on them. Someone did that a while back and got a ton of good advice.

The other reason why me posting some examples might not be good is that each type of business is different and if I were to post one for a B2B program, it would look and feel different then a B2C. Auction program letters will be different than storefront and fixed price. Companies who have a huge variety of merchandise at fixed prices (housewares, food, clothing, tools, vehicles....all in one spot) should have a different feel and format than a more niche store that focuses on just home furnishings.

I would reccomend you putting one of your letters in here and having the ABW community review it. Maybe take out your name, contact info and links from it so noone considers it spamming the boards.

great info. thanks for the post

Your welcome. Glad you found it helpful =0)

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Very nicely done Liguid ( I assume it's ok to call you liquid now that we know each other?)

I have yet to send a newsletter to AmeriTrustRx affiliates, and talked to several people one night in the lounge in Miami about that. I believe you were sitting next to or across from me, but it's kind of a fog now. Got some good feedback and recommendations from affiliates and have been working on a first newsletter. I'm actually looking forward to it.

You concise input / guidelines are nicely organized and logical, so thanks again lil buddy.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks. Interestingly enough, I am currently in the process of revamping how I communicate with my customers. I usually send out a blurb about what is going on in my life ( usually about my kids or something) but have noticed a trend of people reading the story then deleting the rest of the letter without looking at it, lol! I think even people who have established communication can benefit from your suggestions. Sometimes we get into a rut and do what we always did... which does not always work to our best benefit. Thanks for the spark of very good information! I will be able to use some of this to enhance what I am currently working on :0)

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Very nicely done Liguid ( I assume it's ok to call you liquid now that we know each other?)

No problems with Liquid buddy, but Liguid is much harder to say and sounds horrible ;-) lol

2 Rollerblader:
    thanks so much for the tips!!!
    i also have a question: are there any ideas of how to write a newsletter for the stock analysis company?
    thanks in advance!

Ya, just define what your goals are and create the newsletter to meet those goals. If you want them to go to your site, give them article teasers, if you want them to read then write the full article and maybe put ads in or around it, if it is just stock prices, then you may want to start with a short intro about stock prices or the market, then go into each ticker you wanted to talk about and work on it from there.

The main point with the newsletters are to define your goal and then figure out the best way to reach that goal.

You may also want to do samplings, subject testings, landing page testing, etc...

If you post what the goal is here or your landing pages etc... I'm sure a lot of others will chime in too, if you want to keep it confidential, feel free to use my contact info in my signature and we can talk about optimizing your newsletter marketing in private. Or you can use an example which is similar to you but not you guys and then everyone can work on it with you and you can then apply it to your real life newsletter.

thanks so much for the advice!!!
    that helped so much!!

Thanks for the article there. I want to read the rest of it when i get a chance, i want to make a great newsletter but i had been stuck for a while on what other things to add to it.

thanks so much for the advice!!!

Thanks for the article, im going to print it out and use it as a check list for the future

I agree with you that correct grammar is very important. It gets annoying when people use "your" instead of "you're" or "there" instead of "their" or vice versa. These little details show you care and are knowledgeable.

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    great tips.

I try to add in internet marketing advice & how to tips.

But I'll try adding some humor or industry news section that could help increase the open rate in general. Then just sending out the ongoing basic request to post these banners & coupons.

- Brian
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

I wanted to bump this thread because I have seen some pretty bad newsletters coming out lately with nothing for the end user in them. (Not just Affiliate Newsletters but different types in general.)

Thanks, Rollerblader, I can really use this advice. I will be going over my newsletters with a fine-tooth comb in the next few weeks.

Thanks Adam. Great post!
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread