I was just looking through the listings of those affiliated with parasites.. The main thing that occurred to me was that there are not that many, but they do seem to be the ones that most affiliates promote.

I have also discovered that for nearly every merchant associated with the parasites, there are quite a few others that aren't, which would act as very suitable replacements. A lot of these are private programs.

Having been hit hard lately C/R and EPC (and in the end my revenue) wise by this theft, I am coming to the conclusion that the merchants affiliated with the parasites are simply not worth the time of day. They accept my traffic and work for free, with little care as to the impact it has.

I say we simply dump them all. Look for suitable replacements, and when you find them, do the switch straight away. If the parasite world changes and they are forced to stop the hijacking, don't switch your links back to them either. Remember their lack of business ethics and reward them the way they treat you - by treating them like trash.

I say there is good money to be earned away from the parasite affiliated merchants. In the end, the non parasite affiliates make up the majority of targeted traffic moving around the net, and we all know this is the most valuable. Why do we choose to fill the pockets of those who treat us with contempt, when there are many other good companies out there who will welcome us with open arms and treat us like partners.

I just get the impression we'll all be making more money by taking out the trash.

Great post TK. I totally agree!

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Just another thought.. maybe we should develop a categorized list comprising of.. those affiliated with parasites.. those previously affiliated with parasites.. and suitable replacement merchants..

This way we could all select suitable replacements on the fly without everyone having to conduct the same research over and over again.. Need a replacement merchant to rid yourself of a parasite? Find it on the list.. It'd be a handy reference point.

ABW Ambassador
    Any affiliate can add "sub-accounts" to any Linkshare or CJ account at any time without further merchant approval.

Any and all merchants on CJ or Linkshare can be associated with parasitic affiliates without even knowing about it.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    TK and Jason....

While I fully understand the anger, animosity and outright fury as it applies to those who are directly affiliated with the parasites while knowing that they are what they are, let me try to interject some sense of balance here.

LS alone has well over 1,000,000 affiliates in their network. The number of active affiliates is confidential, and I never betray a confidence, but I will say that I am certain that it is higher than any of the other providers.

CJ also has hundreds of thousands of affiliates in their network - the great majority of them are also in LS, but for the sake of arguement, let's assume that 5% are not. At this point there are something like 1.3 million affiliates in varying networks around the world.

Of that number, ABW is curently the leading site dedicated to affiliates and the industry in general. Haiko has a little over 6800 members - a blip on the revenue model of many of the merchants who have embraced the parasites.

What I am trying to tell you is that you should indeed drop them for your own peace of mind. That said, chances are they will not miss you at all.

What 6800+ of Haiko's members can do is raise the roof however. That has been done, and is continuing to be done on a daily basis. This board; coupled with some pretty influential other folks, were the reason that four companies who absolutely hate one another got their executives together to try to slow down what can (and, I think will) be a growing landslide of empathy toward the affiliate population as a whole against a minority group of affiliates who are indeed ruining the industry by being greedy bastards.

This is more than just my opinion - it is an educated assumption.

Best,

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That said, chances are they will not miss you at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My post is not an attempt to change the habits of parasites or merchants. I am not interested in whether they miss me or not, although I am sure some of them will. It is my own personal belief that I and other affiliates can receive better returns by promoting those not affiliated with parasites.

Great post, Don.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What 6800+ of Haiko's members can do is raise the roof however. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There may be 6800+ members, but only a fraction of them are really active here. I don't think we really have the clout you suggest, but I like your thinking.

I'm tired of waiting for the big affilite companies to change things. They are more interested in getting money from their merchants they they are about getting money for us. I've spent the last few months recruiting independents and, WOW, has it payed off. Get rid of the middle man and both you and your independent merchant will make more profit. Plus, a one to one relationship with a merchant is a great thing. I've gotten many of them to donate gift certificates, etc, that I have given away at my sites. Many of the independents I am in contact with at least once a week by email.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

ObD what you say may be true but the vast majority of those affiliates are mom and pops with a site that gets visited once or twice by relatives. Many have joined programs and if they ever did put up a banner on their Tripod site, they long ago abandoned it. The affiliates here however, are workers who make money. In fact, I believe there are some very high earners here. Our numbers may be small but I would bet we as a group have a lot to do with the bottom line.

Additionally, there are quite a few other boards serving the affiliate community where the conversations are largely along the same line. Add their numbers to ours and you have a whole lot of affiliate power.

Uh, taking your number, if one out of every 200 that signs up to become an affiliate designs a producing site....that means there are only 6,500 ACTIVE affiliates! Uh is that right? Did I lose a 0 or something? Maybe, they had just better listen to ABW members.

Perhaps, we need to focus on identifying the 6,500 active producing affiliates and recruiting them to our cause.

We should be able to figure out who they are and how to contact them.

We need an affiliate outreach and education program.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[This message was edited by SSanf on December 04, 2002 at 11:34 PM.]

I am a "greedy bastard".

Post your alternative merchants so that other ABW's can sign up through your links.

In addition to parasite supporting merchants I am looking to replace the useless network jewelry & computer merchants as well as the zero day cookie time wasters.

ABW members maybe a drop in the oceon but so where the hacktivists that almost destroyed the value of etoys stocks and shares and besides that ABW members are the most active of affiliates and represent a huge recent gain in network profits. Don't be mislead or belittled, ABW members ARE a force to be reconed with and the strapped for cash networks ARE going to sit up and take notice if we decide we aren't going to promote these jokers any longer.

[This message was edited by Watermelon Armageddon on December 04, 2002 at 11:37 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    It would be nice to see a database with this type of information. Maintaining the accuracy of such a list would be a bear, especially when people have an economic incentive to post misinformation. Things also change extremely quickly; so the database will never be right.

I agree with Don on the banding together issue. ABW members banded together is not a tremendous economic force. My guess is that most serious affiliates aren't really the banding together type either....they want to make their own mark.

The main power of an open market is its openess.

BTW, the two main reasons that parasites choose program A over program B is because of the conversion rate. In some cases I am sure they are targetting number of affiliate (after all you can't parasite off a non-existant host.)

Protophoto - Short Stories

Great posting TK. I believe the only way for the affilate program to work and clear out the parasites is for us to own,manage and administrate our own network. Cut out the middleman. Then and only then will we have control over the bad merchants. There are enough of us here to make a differance. All we have to do is raise some money to operate our own program.
    We can have our own board of Directors,Ceo and so on.

Where Do You Want To Be Tomorrow?

Haiko said that some kind of lists are coming(merchants who are parasited and those who're not)

TK's idea is great but, it's diffucult to organize such action as it's has been seen in the past.

Convincing non-parasitic super affiliates like (Bizrate, FatWallet) and other shopping powerhouses like MSN's eShop and Yahoo! Shopping (it affects them), to tell their merchants to stop working with parasites or *else*. I believe that would have huge effect.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread