A question about email marketing
    Hi everyone,
    I've seen a few affiliate programs as of late that got me curious about the topic of email marketing. Some products that are available for sale make great niche sites, but i have no experience with making niche sites.
    So I suppose my question is two fold:
    1) Are there any models/examples for creating niche sites? I'm kind of embarrassed to say that his topic is completely foreign to me and would appreciate some guidance.
    2) how do you conduct a (legal) email marketing campaign? By that I mean, how do you gather email lists, how do you get people to sign up, how do you send out mass emails, and how does email marketing work in general? Is it profitable? Is it worthwhile?
    I hate to sound like such a newb but I'm not afraid to ask for help when I get stuck!

Thanks so much for your time!
    Last edited by cckid; June 6th, 2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: addition to question #2

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by cckid
    2) how do you conduct a (legal) email marketing campaign? By that I mean, how do you gather email lists, how do you get people to sign up, how do you send out mass emails, and how does email marketing work in general? Is it profitable? Is it worthwhile?
    The best way to do it is build your own list by collecting data on your site and having your readers opt-in.

You can buy e-mail lists but it is almost always a very sketchy thing to do.

1. They opted in to receiving news and offers and sometimes they never even knew they opted in.

2. You might want to look for a non-profit or association and buy some e-mail space or if they offer an e-mail to their members; buy that as they will be sending on your behalf and the people have opted in to recieving e-mails from vendors etc...

3. Make sure you are familiar with can-spam laws and regulations.

4. Make sure you are not violating any of your merchants terms of service.

5. You can always ask a list company to send an email on your behalf asking them to have their subscribers opt-in to just receiving information from you.

They will say they have a double opt-in policy so it is fine, but they will almost never (I haven't found one that will at least, neither have many of my peers) send the opt-in e-mail to your target audience and get a strictly opt-in for just you because you will find that there are very few people who will actually opt-in and they will not make money by cutting the list that drastically.

They will however say everyone has already double opted in, but IMO that is not enough. I want people who specifically say we want emails from so-and-so. If they are willing to go through that trouble and have the list cut down pretty far, then they might be a good company to go with.

Just be carefull with the company you choose and that you are following the law, the rules and the regulations.

You may also want to read about the basics and the voodoo practices like no red letters, be carefull on certain words in the subject, character counts for subjects, etc.....
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

This might be kind of a "duh", but just in case:

Couple very important things you'll need to get from the merchant in terms of being CAN-SPAM compliant:

1) Suppression List (those not to send to)

2) Unsubscribe Link

3) Physical address of the merchant you're promoting

You'll need to make sure the merchant your promoting is going to be able to provide these things or there's not much point in collecting lists or looking further into the campaign.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cckid
    1) Are there any models/examples for creating niche sites?
    This is a bit tricky!

One can build a niche site that is quite focused and unique, but the traffic is low.

One can build a niche site that is very big and extensive, but the competition is steep.

I am thinking build a site that is a collection of related niches and is moderately extensive. Ideally, mix content with products and use the content to get some free traffic.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Wow, this is a great step-by step list. thank you so much!
    This list is still quite nebulous to me so it'll take some time and learning to digest!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    The best way to do it is build your own list by collecting data on your site and having your readers opt-in.

You can buy e-mail lists but it is almost always a very sketchy thing to do.

1. They opted in to receiving news and offers and sometimes they never even knew they opted in.

2. You might want to look for a non-profit or association and buy some e-mail space or if they offer an e-mail to their members; buy that as they will be sending on your behalf and the people have opted in to recieving e-mails from vendors etc...

3. Make sure you are familiar with can-spam laws and regulations.

4. Make sure you are not violating any of your merchants terms of service.

5. You can always ask a list company to send an email on your behalf asking them to have their subscribers opt-in to just receiving information from you.

They will say they have a double opt-in policy so it is fine, but they will almost never (I haven't found one that will at least, neither have many of my peers) send the opt-in e-mail to your target audience and get a strictly opt-in for just you because you will find that there are very few people who will actually opt-in and they will not make money by cutting the list that drastically.

They will however say everyone has already double opted in, but IMO that is not enough. I want people who specifically say we want emails from so-and-so. If they are willing to go through that trouble and have the list cut down pretty far, then they might be a good company to go with.

Just be carefull with the company you choose and that you are following the law, the rules and the regulations.

You may also want to read about the basics and the voodoo practices like no red letters, be carefull on certain words in the subject, character counts for subjects, etc.....

Thank you for this - it does help!
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm very new to this email marketing concept.
    Say I want to promote item X from store Y.
    I contact store Y's affiliate manager and say "hi, I want to promote item X via email campaign, can you help by providing me with your client list?"
    Is that how to get the list in the first place?
    Thanks for your patience!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    This might be kind of a "duh", but just in case:

Couple very important things you'll need to get from the merchant in terms of being CAN-SPAM compliant:

1) Suppression List (those not to send to)

2) Unsubscribe Link

3) Physical address of the merchant you're promoting

You'll need to make sure the merchant your promoting is going to be able to provide these things or there's not much point in collecting lists or looking further into the campaign.

Cheesehead,
    Thanks!
    I got a domain today where I plan on promoting a certain product. The product belongs in a very large and deep industry so in addition to "the product", you recommend adding other things to it to help supplement the depth of the site so as to not make it a one page boring site?
    Again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    This is a bit tricky!

One can build a niche site that is quite focused and unique, but the traffic is low.

One can build a niche site that is very big and extensive, but the competition is steep.

I am thinking build a site that is a collection of related niches and is moderately extensive. Ideally, mix content with products and use the content to get some free traffic.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread