Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Just got spammed by a new affiliate - bub bye
    Two days ago, I noted that REMOVED signed up for our affiliate program. Today, they spammed us with what they labeled "An Exclusive Offer For SaS merchants" or something similar. Something about "broadening their horizons" past CJ and linkshare?

To their credit, they were Can Spam compliant. They provided an easy to use opt out link. That made it much easier to inform them that they have been terminated for violation of our TOS. Bub - bye
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 6th, 2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: privacy
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I got the same email. Perhaps they don't realize that merchants at SaS don't look too kindly on those who SPAM. I'm in the process now of letting them know how much I appreciated it.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    I got the same email. Perhaps they don't realize that merchants at SaS don't look too kindly on those who SPAM. I'm in the process now of letting them know how much I appreciated it.
    Makes you feel used doesn't it? Here I thought some big time, high producing couponer was joining us, only to find out it was a lead in to soliciting us... Oh well, out of sight, out of mind...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

LOL, you violated their privacy by posting their info, so I guess it's a wash.

BTW, I edited the post.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    Most of us just forwarded the email to shareasale and let them take care of it...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    LOL, you violated their privacy by posting their info, so I guess it's a wash. BTW, I edited the post.
    LOL, well heck, turnaround is fair play! Thanks for the heads up H.

"Most of us just forwarded the email to shareasale and let them take care of it..."

As did I...
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; June 6th, 2007 at 06:47 PM.

http and a telephoto
    The other ones I like are the ones with the autoresponder to the welcome email that sends us an email with their advertising rates and/or a request for a link exchange.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Once I got an autoresponse to a newsletter that sent me to a page pushing DFF. The page insinuated that I'd have to sign up with them in order to get on his site.

I didn't sign up.
    I'm betting it's no loss. The site didn't look like one too exciting to get on.

Funny how no big sites seem to do that kind of silliness. But newbs think that the one hit they'd send is going to be the one who would have bought $10 million worth of stuff and that merchants should be climbing over each other for that "stellar" coverage!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Strange I got the email too, how did they get all our email ids?
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Edit:

I DID get that email! I just didn't see it when I typed the original version of this post. That's what I get for looking for things when I'm supposed to be asleep.

"Unique Opportunity with ShareASale Publisher" was the title. It didn't click in when I opened it that it would really be from one of my affs, so I'd back-burnered reading it. (I never did get used to that CJ bull of calling affiliates "publishers"...)

I would guess they went down SAS's list of merchants, and either got the email addys right off our sites, or from the whois. Or maybe even the welcome email. I vaguely remember that sometimes the merchant's email address shows in correspondence that's actually come from SAS's email server.

For now, I'll apply my general rule: I make no serious decisions about anything in the m*rning. Tonight I'll give it a closer look.
    Last edited by Leader; June 7th, 2007 at 08:57 AM.

I got it too at my OPM email address.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

See my edit

clyderose asked: "how did they get all our email ids?"

Most emails sent through the SAS interface from merchants to affiliates use the merchant's return address, so the application-confirmation email, approval email, and decline email all include the merchant's email address as the "sender."

When I sent out the "closing down" email to the QuoteProducts affiliates this week, I received at least a dozen "bounce" messages because affiliates had not kept their email addresses current.

As an affiliate, my email program auto-sorts all the "generic" SAS merchant emails into separate folders (one for "application received" emails, another for "approved," and another for "declined," as well as folders for "newsletters," coupons" and "other SAS merchant emails"). Then, whenever I need to find the affiliate manager's contact email, I can just search those folders. (Alas, there are still some SAS merchants who don't realize that the "SAS contact emails" [sent from affiliates to merchants using the form at SAS] are getting filtered as spam.)

If I wanted to spam the merchants, I could easily select all the emails in one of those folders and "reply to all," or I could extract them into Excel or elsewhere. (Of course, I don't want to spam, and like others, when I receive such spams from SAS partners I forward them to SAS.)

Yesterday, I received a solicitation from an "SAS merchant" who just happened to work for another affiliate network, soliciting me to join that other network. In other words, the competing network set up an offer on SAS in order to capture affiliate contact info to "poach" those affiliates. I forwarded that email to SAS and hope they will take prompt action against that "merchant" and the competing network.

I would assume they got "some" of the addresses through welcome emails from merchants to whose programs they signed up? Is that the case with other merchants who have responded here?

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    I would assume they got "some" of the addresses through welcome emails from merchants to whose programs they signed up? Is that the case with other merchants who have responded here?
    I'm assuming so. It's easier than scraping my email address off of my website (thank you email obfusicator!), and I don't see them going through that amount of trouble.

It would be easy to apply to a large number of merchants indiscriminately and harvest the AM's email in that fashion.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

@ markwelch thankz for the detailed explanation

@ ALH ...Michael also stated that "Impossible to say for sure, but they most likely signed up for your program, and took the email address from the welcome email."

Anyway have a good day everyone!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by clyderose
    @ markwelch thankz for the detailed explanation

@ ALH ...Michael also stated that "Impossible to say for sure, but they most likely signed up for your program, and took the email address from the welcome email." Anyway have a good day everyone!
    Actually my opening post stated that they DID sign up for my program and that's where they got my address. I was curious about other merchants possibly noticing the same thing. Thanks.

Well, I got it at my OPM email address which is not the address I use for Metro Uniforms so they had to search for this one, most likely they got it here at ABW.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Affiliate Manager
    I got it yesterday as well, although he joined and quit my program, therefore no need for booting

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    The other ones I like are the ones with the autoresponder to the welcome email that sends us an email with their advertising rates and/or a request for a link exchange.
    That must be the most bothering ones, everytime you send a newsletter or something, you receive an email back ...

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread