ABW Ambassador
    I've never understood what is the benefit to the merchant of having affiliates that overwrite links when you were already getting the visitor. What i mean:

If a visitor comes to my site and clicks a link, that person who clicked the link is already on the way to the site. Thats the whole purpose right? For affiliates to deliver potential buyers to the merchants site. So why the interference? From what i read you're paying more commission and maybe getting that customer mad, having to go thru pop-ups, redirects, frames etc.

So what do merchants get out of it? The potential customer was already on the way.

Haiko, can you check your pm's, thanks

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They get two pissed off customers if they don't get paid. One is an affiliate who's commission got hijacked especially if he bought off his own link. The second one I'm sure has to beg to get paid their rebate if they are even aware they have an active account after joining ebates 1 year ago and turned off getting those spammy offers all the time.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on December 06, 2002 at 01:13 AM.]

Actually I've been pondering a similar thing.. but I'm also confused as to why a merchant would pay a commission on sales where the customer finds their way to the merchants site through ppc listings, search engines, directory listings, newsletters, etc.. What is the point??

Imagine paying for a customer to find your site through ppc bids, and then paying a commission on the sale as well for the priviledge of having a parasite as an affiliate.. The costs of doing business would skyrocket. I just don't understand why businesses choose to partner with these parasites.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Don't forget the monitizing direct URL type-ins from newpaper, radio and TV Ads. How about the lifetime cookie replacement built into MMM which makes repeat shopping by that eBates customer always pay out 8%. They buy from me and I only get 4% one time unless they return to my site to click. These guys have all the angles covered and still get the merchant's eating out of their hands. Love the trickery of placing the tiny logo on the PopS with a built-in click generating script so the parasites show a phoney impression and click stat for the stupid network compliance testing guys.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"

ABW Ambassador
    Don't understand it. I wouldn't have a problem with someone like Ebates have a shopping tool whereas a user chooses to download it and it only works if the user goes straight to the merchants site. Then it would be ok to do whatever, thats between the merchant and the affiliate. But how it is now, doesn't make much sense, it seems it would actually cost the merchant money by partnering with these types of affiliates. Paying for traffic that otherwise would be free by way of bookmark, or someone typing the url into the browser is just stupid. Also allowing interference by way of overwriting links or redirecting the person who clicked an affiliate link doesn't make any sense either since the person who clicked the link was already on the way.
    Maybe a merchant can fill me in. How's this benefit you?

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

ABW Ambassador
    I've wondered a lot about this as well, I actually wonder about deeper things such as why they parter with these incent affiliates at all..I partially know the answer to that, and, I'm sure wayne has a nice canned reason (and another reason to sell some of his warez to these guys), but, anyway thats a topic for another thread.

My only thoughts about why are:

Affiliate manager is ignorant and just does not understand the issues. He sees this super affiliate making a buttload of sales, and, so, wow that must be a valued partner. Hell, lets raise his commish level.

Affiliate manager knows the deal and realizes that the more sales which are generated through the affiliate channel (even if they are hijacked type-ins, etc) the better for him.

Affiliate manager does or doesn't know the deal but higher ups see this great partner who generates assloads of revenue, and, well try to explain all of this to those suits. Forget about it. AM doesn't have any spine and doesn't want to rock the boat/risk losing his job for the greater good, and so, keeps the partnership with (insert parasite here) active.

A few merchants have posted there answer to this in various threads.

Basically, they're trying to incentivise a sale, increase the chances of conversion.

It's a fair enough point - Joe Public visits each of the top 3 search results for the product he's after, 1 pops up a discount offer, the other 2 don't. Where's he going to buy?

Of course, this thinking is negated by the number of times the pre-sold, credit-card-clutching surfer is delivered by an affiliate at a product landing page, only to be swept up in a flurry of pop-ups back at the merchant's front door. Sale lost.

Are you Crazy?

BECAUSE:

Most of the merchants don't exactly know what's going on. The ones who do, like amazon.com, takes fast and fair action against them.

Who loses money to parasites:
    > Affiliates
    > Merchants - Not employees of the merchants bu the owners and investors

Who makes more money with parasites:
    > Parasites themselves
    > Networks
    > Some affiliate managers and outsourced affiliate consulting companies -

Most of the AMs and companies who provides affiliate consulting services gets bonuses and commissions depending on the affiliate generated revenue. So it's good for them that parasites convert non-affiliate sales like search engine traffic, repeating customers, newsletters etc.

Owners and investors of these stores are not really aware of the problem as we are.

THAT'S WHY.

I agree with all my astute fellow ABWers on the above points and add in one more.

The lazy affiliate managers who earn a paycheck for a few phone calls & e-mail blasts monthly, leaving their programs on auto pilot, would actually have to put in the hours of TigerDirects -Andy or Shawn from Overstock. I have some major merchants who haven't spent 4 hours all year on developing creatives and converting landing pages. Only efforts is to feed coupons and specials to the "incent" Dupers and parasites.

Firing 80% of the affiliate managers wouldn't effect affiliate linked sales by 5% ...pathetic fact.

WebMaster Mike

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread