Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Cendant Hotels - Linkshare at its Worst
    Yep. I was stupid enough to do a test run of the Cendant Hotel program.

Cendant became Wyndham Worldwide after a series of financial scandals. This company owns hotel brands including Super8, Days Inn, Ramada Inn, Travelodge, Howard Johnson, etc.. There are several posts talking about how this program is just a free traffic scam.

Not surprisingly, the program failed to convert any of the traffic I sent to it.

I received a report that the site was broken; So, I decided to test the program.

The links on this Cendant program go to a site called affiliate.roadtraveler.com. You browse through hotels on the http side of the site. To complete the order, you are supposed to go from http to https.

Guess what?

https://affiliate.roadtraveler.com is not even active.

It is not just unlikely that an affiliate will make a sale through this crap ass program. It is impossible for an affiliate to make a sale through the program.

When you place an order on the site, it goes from http to http, but then fails to get to the https site.

In other words, there is no way to make a sale on this program as it is impossible to get to the order screen.

There are, of course, several links on the site that go from affiliate.roadtraveler.com to www.roadtraveler.com. Wyndham Worldwide would still recover several of their sales. It is simply impossible for an affiliate to get a commission for a sale.

The site has been like this for at least a month.

The post is titled linkshare at its worst, not because the program is a scam, but because Linkshare has absolutely no tools to help affiliates separate the scams from the small number of legitimate programs offered by their service.

That $0.00 EPC that you see by most merchants in SaS tell you that the program will never make a sale. There should be something that tells Linkshare affiliates that a program like Cendant Hotel Group is a total bust.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; June 8th, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by yintercept

Cendant became Wyndham Worldwide after a series of financial scandals.
    I don't know about Cendant, but I do get sales recorded once in a while from Wyndham Worldwide(Fairfield Getaway?)

Cendant? Wyndham Worldwide? Fairfield Getaway? Are they the same company?
    Last edited by MichaelColey; June 8th, 2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote

ABW Ambassador
    Fairfield Getaway is a completely separate affiliate program, managed in-house by Eric Ewe.

ABW Ambassador
    The post is titled linkshare at its worst, not because the program is a scam, but because Linkshare has absolutely no tools to help affiliates separate the scams from the small number of legitimate programs offered by their service.
    The program IS a scam and Linkshare is aiding and abetting the scam because they manage the program and as evidenced in my original post linked, it's been going on for years.

Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    Cendant became Wyndham Worldwide after a series of financial scandals.
    It's actually quite convoluted.

In 2005, Cendant acquired Wyndham.

In 2006, Cendant split into four companies, including Wyndham Worldwide (which encompasses their hotel holdings).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I just confirmed that when attempting to book a room through a Linkshare affiliate link, the RESERVE button resolves to Page Cannot Be Displayed. Shame on you Linkshare for obviously paying absolutely no attention to this program.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Fairfield Getaway is a completely separate affiliate program, managed in-house by Eric Ewe.
    The reason why I get confused is because Fairfield Getaway also named as Wyndham Vacation Resorts.

I see, Wyndham Vacation Resorts and Wyndham Worldwide are two different programs.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by atonca
    The reason why I get confused is because Fairfield Getaway also named as Wyndham Vacation Resorts.
    These brands seem to changing hands regularly. There was a massive consolidation in the hotel industry in the 1980s and 1990s. A finanical scandal devalued the Cendant stock. So the properties are being bought up then spit out by private equity firms such as Blackstone.

Orbitz and Lodging.com were part of this conglomerate, along with Budget and Avis Rent A Car. Apparently Cendant also owned Century 21 Real Estate, Coldwell Banker and ERA Real Estate.

In these corporate games, you really never know which brands and properties will continue to be developed and which will be run into the ground.

It appears that this Cendant Hotel Group is one of those being run into the ground. The fact that things like this program fail is not a problem. I am upset that Linkshare does not provide sufficient information for affiliates to make rational choices when selecting programs.

SaS has a greater number of failed programs, but they report metrics so you can avoid the failures.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Most people are right when it comes to the Cendant information provided. Wyndham Vacation Resorts (previously Fairfield Resorts) was part of the Cendant Group in 2000-2001 until Cendent was successfully spun off to 4 groups in 2006-07. My company went to hotel group which is now Wyndham Worldwide. Even with the event that occured, my company was and is still a great place to work at. That being said, I have no control over the Cendant Hotel group and that is managed by Linkshare.

As to the Cendant Hotel chain affiliate program, I will see what can I do to help. I did try to reach out to Linkshare to assist in their program in Q1 2007 but I hit a brick wall. I will utilize my time to try to meet the AM that oversees the program during my trip to the NYC Symposium in 2 week.

I will keep everybody posted about things.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    I used to work for Cendant when it had an office in Knoxville, so I signed up with them. I agree. They don't convert at all. I have not yet dropped the program, but I will. I think the travel section of my site will be dropped next re-design anyway. There are other sites out there that are doing a much better job and a good reciprocal link is worth more to me than wasted e-realestate..

Thanks for the heads up! I don't ever have time for testing with all the other stuff I have to do, so I'm glad to have a few moments to check this forum....

Ouch, definitely not nice reading this. I had all of em on my site til now. Did the same and checked a few of them with the same page not found. Not nice at all. Have had clicks registering so wouldn't have known without this thread.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I just confirmed that when attempting to book a room through a Linkshare affiliate link, the RESERVE button resolves to Page Cannot Be Displayed. Shame on you Linkshare for obviously paying absolutely no attention to this program.
    Atleast they are consistent. They don't pay attention to anything else either.

ABW Ambassador
    A week later and there has been no change. This is a program fully managed by Linkshare. Bookings can still not be completed through a Linkshare affiliate link. Linkshare is still allowing new signups to the Cendant Affiliate program.

I would like to know when the last time you received a booking and/or a commission on your Linkshare reports if you are an affiliate of this program.

This speaks so poorly of Linkshare.

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare has terminated this affiliate program. Clicks on their affiliate links resolve to Page Cannot Be Displayed.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Got an email today from LS that Cendant is on hold. Heh.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Got an email today from LS that Cendant is on hold. Heh.
    I got the email too. What does "on hold" mean? Does it mean it will be back later?

ABW Ambassador
    I think "HOLD" in the email is a misnomer. If you look at your Merchant Status Update, you will see that Cendant has been discontinued. Could you please respond to what I asked last month?
    I would like to know when the last time you received a booking and/or a commission on your Linkshare reports if you are an affiliate of this program.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Quite often they are taken off hold. But based on this thread I am just removing them. Too many other viable options.

ABW Ambassador
    I think "HOLD" in the email is a misnomer. If you look at your Merchant Status Update, you will see that Cendant has been discontinued. Could you please respond to what I asked last month?
    Sorry snowman, were you asking me to response? I thought it was a general question to all Frankly, I haven't made any sales for this merchant yet

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, since you were one of their affiliates. How long did you have their links up on your site? I can't help but wonder if they ever paid any commissions.

I wish I had checked in here sooner. I've had Cendant links on my site for months and after getting the e-mail from Linkshare today, checked to see what my conversion had been. I was shocked to see all zeros... knew that had to be completely wrong, because I do great with all other hotel programs.

Now I know why. What a scam, and a waste of time.

I wonder if this thread is what got the program yanked. Go ABW!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by tomslickaff
    I wonder if this thread is what got the program yanked. Go ABW!
    I'm sure it is. Ranae, the Linkshare Moderator, reads all of the posts on this forum.

I'll say it again. Linkshare should be ashamed of themselves. Linkshare was fully responsible for the administration of the Cendant affiliate program yet it is abundantly clear that no one was monitoring it, evidenced by no sales being reported and nothing being done about it.

I would really like to know if anyone ever earned any commissions from it.

ABW Ambassador
    How long did you have their links up on your site?
    Probably for a few months? But never actively promote them much.

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to See the Program
    I am happy to see this broken program close.

I think Wyndham Hotels would do well if they had a program that did what this site promised to do.

Broken programs like this hurt all parties involved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast