Who's up for some RFDTV?
    Anybody else out there an "RFDTV" fan?

Well, I'm not really a "fan," but I just discovered this nifty little channel on our dish TV this evening. It's great.

I should have prefaced my remarks with some background: Six of the happiest years of our lives were spent early in our marriage living in small towns in South Dakota.

It was fun flipping channels and running onto RFDTV. Apparently they are located in Canada, at least that seems likely from the programming we saw.

Most interestingly, they had an hour-long program about prairie province farmers who did unusual crafts. There was a woman who painted drop-dead gorgeous landscapes on cut, polished stones. And there was a farmer's wife who used her husband's metalwork shop to create fantastic sculptures of horses, cattle, even farm wagons.

If you have satellite TV (maybe even on some cable packages?) you really ought to look around for RFDTV. It's a fascinating look at rural life -- and it was amazing the number of commercials which were farm-oriented that pushed online buying through the merchant's websites.
    Generate more fake news.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Home of Polka Joe

My Father-in-Law dealt with Polka Joe way back when he dealt in advertising in the 70's. He is still going strong.

I am not a Polka Joe fan but I am a rural-type person. I probably would enjoy much of the programming.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I don't need RFDTV, I live in RFD!

We even have RFD mail. A guy in a station wagon delivers it. We can't get a pizza delivered to our house and even though we live in New York we can't get home delivery of The New York Times. No one goes for a stroll on garbage night (bears) and if I gave you directions to my house I might use the goat farm around the corner as a landmark. There aren't any street lights for about three miles in any direction and we have a well and a septic tank and no...the grass is NOT greener over the septic field. Anyone who gets nostalgic for the Green Acres milieu is welcome to spend a day in my county.

Anyone else remember watching "The Farm Report" on TV back in the sixties? It was the first program broadcast each day. I've always been an early riser and I was addicted to that show as a kid.

Interesting you mentioned RFD. Now I won't worry when I somehow get mezmerized for 20 minutes watching cows get auctioned off. It happened to me just the other day. Sometimes, as you mentioned there is pretty interesting programing. Like I think there's and Outdoor cooking show.

I too get my snail mail delivered from a station wagon. It amazes me how she can drive that thing sitting in the passenger seat. But somehow she does it.

We get a mix of rural and city life here. It must be that big road over yonder.
    Keep watching RFD there's bound to be some good niche ideas in there.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Aw, gee! Now you guys are making me homesick for my childhood in Nebraska and the happy years we spent in South Dakota!

See what I started? Gotta go right now, though. RFDTV's showing a feature right now about a golf course with old farm machinery placed strategically in the roughs -- and the "Farm Bureau Today" program starts in just 15 minutes.
    Generate more fake news.

Being from East Texas, my wife and I love to watch "Texas Country Reporter". They find such interesting gems.
    There's nothing wrong with living in the country. We live "downtown" in a town with 1 store and a post office and still have woods behind the house.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread