Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Why Content is King
    I just started a new site as some of you know and the past 3 days or so I have seen a spike in traffic.

What’s funny is the traffic jump started June 6th about an hour after I posted some brand new content that Google got its hands on. My site is a PR 0 still it's just 1 and a half months old.

Google took my content and made it the number 1 result for a specific keyword.

Last night while watching TV I saw a commercial about what my content talked about, the commercial was by the company my content talked about, and a new upcoming service that company was about to offer later this month. At the end of the commercial it said Google "keyword" for more information.

I have been reaping the benefits.

Very nice! Got to love when that happens
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

That's great..its wonderful when a plan comes together!!

Joey

Encouraging!! Grats, Mike!

Geno

Rock on!

Congrats Mike!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Cool beans! Great job!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Good for you!

It's nice to feel the Google love.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Content isn't king of anything despite that; Revenue still is. Because without Revenue, it doesn't matter if you have all the traffic on the Internet!

BTW I also recently got a #1 with a c*ntent site I made during a period of boredom (it's PR0 as well, but much older). No nicely-timed ads, though.

So far the financial results are only serving to show me that my time in making that site would have been just as well served by playing a video game instead, or perhaps by mowing the lawn with nail clippers.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thank goodness Leader was around. Saved me asking the QUESTION myself: So, what benefit has the content-driven traffic been? Was the site designed to make revenue via affiliate sales -- and if so, has it worked? Was the site designed to make money via Adsense or other monetizing -- and if so, has it worked?

On a related note, I put together a couple of Squidoo "lenses" recently that I filled with content and peppered with a ton of affiliate links. (I wrote in more detail about this on the Web 2.0 forum.)

It was my first effort with Squidoo and I'd heard all sorts of things about the great traffic possibilities.

Within two days, I was ranked #1 for the keyword phrase in quotes and #6 without quotes on Google. Bang! Just like that -- content really worked.

That's been six days ago (five maybe, I forget.) My Squidoo lens -- OK, that's their lingo for one-page, content and link filled website -- still ranks the same in Google.

Results? I've had 15 visitors to the main website I was seeking traffic for via the Squidoo links; I've had 10 DTM clicks to the two merchants for which I put links all through the lens.

I've had ZERO sales.

There's content-driven traffic, then there's sales. I've not seen anything to convince me, yet, that content-driven traffic necessarily means much in relation to affiliate marketing.

Just my very, very limited observations.
    Generate more fake news.

Top ranking in any SE is of course subjective for the phrase and is no guarantee of traffic, nor is that traffic any guarantee of revenue.

However - content IS king.

Revenue alone is never the full story, content frequently is - that's what Hardwaregeek was proving.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    However - content IS king.

Revenue alone is never the full story, content frequently is - that's what Hardwaregeek was proving.
    OK, I think I get your point, as I've heard the phrase forever: "Content is King."

But really, what exactly does that MEAN??

Especially in relation to the next sentence: "Revenue alone is never the full story, content frequently is ..."

Are we not doing affiliate marketing and does not that mean we seek to generate revenue? I can see how "revenue alone is never the full story ..." might be a legitimate statement. But, in the context of affiliate marketing -- "... content frequently is ..." means nothing, really.

If you mean in the context of a hobby, or a news site, or an information source of any kind, I certainly understand content being king -- and I would agree that "content frequently is ..." the whole story might be true.

But if we are talking about affiliate marketing -- or any kind of marketing, really -- then content WITHOUT revenue, which is what your statement seems to mean, never works. Content without revenue being produced as an end result, or as SOME part of the process, simply brings browsers -- and BUYERS would seem to be the main goal of affiliate marketing or any marketing.

I've got some blogs which are about 80% (just a guesstimate) content, with another 10%-20% ads, affiliate links, etc. I don't really do them for marketing; I do them for content. But I certainly wouldn't say they were marketing sites.

I've never said much when these "content is king" threads pop up, and perhaps I got carried away here. Sorry.

EDITED TO FIX QUOTE FORMAT
    Last edited by writerguy; June 9th, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Content isn't king of anything despite that; Revenue still is. Because without Revenue, it doesn't matter if you have all the traffic on the Internet!
    And without content you won't get any repeat traffic. So it's really a balance of content and monetization. Too much monetization and people won't return. Too little monetization and you'll have a revenue problem. But there really isn't such thing as too much content unless you're somehow losing money on it.

But again "content" is a very broad term and can mean anything from song lyrics to buying guides to merchant reviews. The value of the content is just as important as how well you monetize it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    "Last night while watching TV I saw a commercial about what my content talked about, the commercial was by the company my content talked about, and a new upcoming service that company was about to offer later this month."

So I would think he could makes lots of money once the service comes out later this month and they had an affiliate program or another way to make money from it. Don't know any of the details. Or if you get that kind of traffic from content and there was already a program and you had links up, I think you could make good money.

BTW I also recently got a #1 with a c*ntent site I made during a period of boredom (it's PR0 as well, but much older). No nicely-timed ads, though.

So far the financial results are only serving to show me that my time in making that site would have been just as well served by playing a video game instead, or perhaps by mowing the lawn with nail clippers.
    You can't get revenue with out some form of Content.

sadly it's a free srvice the company is offering to users of their product

It's a soda, and the service relates to text messaging etc.

ABW Ambassador
    And without content you won't get any repeat traffic
    I think with 20, 30 and 40+% bookmarks in a month, there will be some repeat traffic. Especially when a % of sales turn up at SAS that you know came in off cookies.

There's a page or two of content on a particular site not worth bookmarking (which is about to be seriously modified), the pulls on favicon.ico come off sales pages.

Congrats, Mike - good job of it and if nothing else that traffic surge can possibly help avoid the sandbox pit after the initial Google honeymoon for new sites is over.

Try to squeeze intra-site navigating and pageviews out of it, but you probably already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    You can't get revenue with out some form of Content.
    That's technically incorrect (there's direct-to-merchant PPC, and link-only domain-park pages, to name two obvious exceptions).
    And even when c*ntent is present, it's not the King:

1) A site without ongoing Revenue will surely die, unless it leeches money off of something else to pay for its hosting costs. And as soon as its owner is sick of subsidizing it, the Revenueless site is history.

2) Yet a site does NOT need ongoing infusions of c*ntent to live. Some sites are set up for getting more, but it's not an inherent need of sites in general.

Hence, Revenue is King. The presence of peasants (content) in a Kingdom does not make them the king of anything. Even if they do manage to serve their King well, they are still mere peasants, for without King Revenue, there will soon be no kingdom!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    It's irrelevant whether Revenue's the "full" story or not. He said c*ntent was KING. It most decidedly is not.

And it's content that never is the full story. Just try to run a content site without any revenue from anywhere! Your host will quickly boot you for nonpayment.

If you pay up, then you indeed put REVENUE (from somewhere, even if not from the content site) into the picture, and have also acknowleged its kingliness.

If you try to get around that with a free host, you will note the ads they show on "your" site, which are paying the bills for your moochery--and, which show that Revenue is indeed still King. If they don't seem to show any, then expect to be bombarded with ads for their paid hosting and/or domain reg--still, King Revenue is in charge.

There simply IS no "story" without King Revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    But there really isn't such thing as too much content unless you're somehow losing money on it.
    First, I'll have to disagree a bit: I'd say there's too much content if it's reducing revenue--even when it's not so extreme as to be causing you to go into the red. If you could make more money with less content, you have too much content.

But my site that I was talking about in my first post in this thread definitely has "too much" content by your definition--it takes a portion of the server space, and therefore a proportional amount of the server cost, but it isn't yet making any sales. In fact, the only thing that's saved it from its impending nonrenewal is the fact that it suddenly got rank (for no apparent reason). Now I'll give it one more chance to prove its worthiness to the real King. King Revenue.

If a proper sales site held that same rank, I would have known it immediately by my sales stats at CJ--NOT by having to go and look for its position on Google. There would've been sales attributed to it the day the SERPs changed, if that was a Revenue site with the only "content" on it being pure sales pitches!

No link campaign, no other promo, no updates in 3 years, it's PR0. Yet the other day they manage to find it anyway.

Now I'm irked that G chose to rank THAT THING up instead of one of my worthy, sales, sites! I think their algo division is run by Murphy himself!

I'll probably stick a real store onto the back of it. If the site then deranks, all I have to lose is moochers. And if it doesn't, and the store ranks well too, then suddenly the other part will be more tolerable.
    Too much monetization and people won't return.
    I see no reason to think that would be truer for an affiliate site than a merchant site. And it's certainly not true for a merchant site!

People walk/click into a store expecting 100% monetization, and as long as they're not ever given any reason to expect otherwise, it's fine.

How the monetization is done is important, though. There's selling stuff--and then there's going way overboard by having so darn many aff links, paid links, in-context links, PPC blocks from every possible engine, banners, etc. crammed on a page that it's just overwhelming.

Most of what I see called "too much" monetization is really just awfully-done monetization.

Quote Originally Posted by Writerguy
    Content without revenue being produced as an end result, or as SOME part of the process, simply brings browsers -- and BUYERS would seem to be the main goal of affiliate marketing or any marketing.
    Not just "seem." Getting Buyers IS the point of affiliate marketing!

Selling ads (CPM or just ad placements), links, etc. is not affiliate marketing (although even with that, Revenue is still king. If nobody'd buy an ad and bring in revenue, see how fast those "eyeball" sites would dry up!)

And if those ad-buyers realize that they're not getting any product/service buyers out of those placements...they'll stop being ad-buyers. It can take a while for them to clue up, however.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

And it's content that never is the full story. Just try to run a content site without any revenue from anywhere! Your host will quickly boot you for nonpayment.
    There are some exceptions to this. Youtube wasn't monetized before they were sold for a cool $1.6 billion. Yes, they did have some VC funding paying for their bandwidth and storage, but in the end their content is what made them rich.

When it comes down to it though any traffic can be monetized. Even if the content isn't sales oriented you can run AdSense or YPN to more than pay the bills. I'd say the real king is traffic.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Raising venture capital is monetizing a site, make no mistake about it. So then, how about let's all try to raise some VC to monetize our content sites and see how far we get.

Congrats Mike!

WTG

Good Content around a profitable niche with good page ranks are key to success!

Cheers,

Paul

I'd say the real king is traffic.
    I'd go as far as to call traffic Queen. But without revenue, even loads of traffic cannot keep a site alive (in fact, without revenue, loads of traffic will just increase the bills, and therefore kill the revenue-less site faster!). And, like WebWorker said, VC money is still money. So, Revenue is still King.

But without traffic, and the right kind of it, the revenue tends to dry up. So traffic's right there in the throne room, as the Queen of King Revenue.

There are different kind of 'shoppers' who can be targeted:
    - ppl who are ready to buy: they just look for a 'buy link', so for those a pure shopping site will do
    - the undecided: people in general are by nature lazy, so when it comes to making a buying decision they look for short cuts. Instead of doing product research themselves they look for review sites, that saves them the work.

While Leader seems to focus on the ready buyers others, me included, (also) try to entice the undecided to make their purchases thru our affiliate links. To get them to do so we provide content, i.e. product reviews etc. I suppose this was something Mike was referring to in his initial post. No content -> no click -> no revenue.

In other words, for the ready buyer the ‘buy link’ is king, for the undecided it will be the info they need before they get ready to hit the ‘buy link’.

I agree, traffic is like the queen that stands behind every successful king...

Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Taking Leader's comments one step further, perhaps "Profit Is King".

Profit = Traffic x Monetization - Expenses

Whether it's high traffic (which typically has low monetization), high monetization (which typically has low traffic), PPC (which has high expenses), or SEO (which can have unreliable traffic but virtually no expenses), there's lots of ways to make affiliate marketing (or web sites in general) work.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast