Angry Why is it so hard for merchants to categorize content
    I have a decent amount of traffic and I would really like to add more merchants to offer a better selection to my visitors, but I have only found one merchant and that is Vita Springs, that has their content categorized outside of personal care and health.

If you sell herbs and vitamins and the like why can't you take the time and categorize your feeds properly? This really pisses me off. You have 8k frikin' products and none of them are categorized properly, WTF

No one can do anything with that crap. Get a grip merchants and start acting like you really want affiliates to succeed.

If you sell herbs or vitamins categorize them properly: In case you don't know how to here goes.

If you have herbs your main cat should be HERBS and your sub-cat should be the type of herb. They should not all fall under personal care and health. THEY NEED TO BE CATEGORIZED!

If you have vitamins your main cat should be VITAMINS and your sub-cat should be the type of vitamin. They should not all fall under personal care and health. THEY NEED TO BE CATEGORIZED!

If you can't do it, pay me and I will do your feeds for you, because it really needs to get better than this. SAS should have some type of policy that tells merchants that the affiliates need FULLY CATEGORIZED feeds. I hope these merchants do not run their business like their feeds look.

I am going to have a drink because I am PISSED!

I could not agree more with what you say. It is not only the herb and vitamin vendors, plenty others are giving worthless datafeeds. It takes a lot of time for me to categorize a feed so generally I don't promote that merchant but find another that offers a feed that will take me less work.

Jean

Angry So true!
    It also in my regard, includes most baby merchants and lingerie merchants.

Baby merchants seem to think that everything goes under Gifts/Specialty and Baby/Infant. This is really ridiculous.

And what is up with the data feeds that have not been updated since 2006, we are halfway through 2007. Then if you add it to your site and check some of the links the products are gone or the price is different, and that makes it look bad on my end, so I don't bother with them, but I want to so my visitors have a huge selection to choose from.

I'm really anal about providing a great user experience for my visitors and some merchants really do not make that easy.

on categories I have to think that alot of that is our work as affiliates...how does it fit into your site? regarding outdated feeds...no excuse plain out lazy and bad business

Categories
    So are you saying that if someone has 3-8k products that are not categorized that we are supposed to do that line by line? The merchants have the products categorized on their sites, sometimes 3 levels of categories, so why can't their feed be categorized.

Maybe it's just me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are looking to just import an entire feed and have it all ready to fit your site. That's never going to happen.

Some merchants do provide additional categories, you just have to do a little work to get them to fit into your site. Some don't offer additional categories. It's then up to the affiliates skills to make those feeds usable. It's what we are supposed to do.

You need to consider the network limitations as well as the merchants site. Just because the merchant has detailed categories, it doesn't mean it's compatible with the same structure the network that provides them to you uses. They either export/import, and may even manually massage the feeds to get them updated. It's not a simple process. SaS recently changed up the data feed formats and everyone hasn't had the opportunity to update the additional fields.

As for feeds that never get updated, as long as the information is current, that's what really counts. What's important is that the prices are correct, the images are there, and the links go to the correct pages. Some merchants don't update what doesn't need to be updated.

Quote Originally Posted by success469
    If you sell herbs and vitamins and the like why can't you take the time and categorize your feeds properly? This really pisses me off. You have 8k frikin' products and none of them are categorized properly, WTF
    Define properly. That's like trying to define normal. I'm guessing that to you properly means for your site. Does it look the same as my site? Doubtful.

The merchants need to pick the least common denominator and make it work for everyone, not just one affiliate. Like you said, they sell 8k products. Do you think the categories just jump in there by themselves?

Or do you think that professional affiliates have the required skills to massage the feeds and extrapolate what they need in the format that best fits into their marketing strategies.

There are room for improvements is some merchants feeds.

if your doing it line by line you should rethink how you work and maybe the easy feeds are best for you...then again your going to look like everyone else too

Hi Success

Have you checked the Custom2 and Custom3 fields in the data feed. They appear to contain more useful information than Category and Subcategory.

Properly To Me Means....
    If you sell baby products the main categories for this area are:
    Strollers
    Baby Clothes
    Baby Toys
    Safety
    Car Seats
    Health Care
    Feeding
    Playtime or Learning
    Strollers
    Nursing/Feeding

Not Infant/Baby and Gifts/Specialty

No,
    I am not just looking to import an entire feed and have it all ready to fit my site, even though that would be great I guess it really depends on what type of site one has. In regard to some merchants having categories I am quite aware of this and these are the ones I use. But it limits my visitors search for certain products.

In regard to your comment stating "The merchants need to pick the least common denominator and make it work for everyone, not just one affiliate". I am not asking for anything special but what I am saying does make complete sense, and the categories I listed above should be used, I am only asking for things to be categorized on one level not 3 deep or anything like that. I would hope that no one has a baby affiliate site and they list everything under Gifts/Specialty, Baby/Infants. I am just asking for 1st level categories, I can handle the rest. Is that too much to ask for?

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    You're going to like our datafeed (I hope) 2,600 categories
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I don't think anyone is looking for the 'perfect' feed. We all have our ways of doing things and how we use them. Typically I spend around 10 hours changing things to suit my site. However, a feed with many thousands of products with no original structure in place is going to take me days to sort through.

It is those cases that we are talking about. My time is worth money to me so I use it where it has best effect and that isn't sorting datafeeds it is marketing my sites.

Jean

Bob,

I am looking forward to this. You seem like someone who truly understands that affiliates should be spending their time promoting.

Jean

P.S. Every one of my email addresses seems to be being rejected as Spam.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm certainly not looking for an entire feed to use, but when it's all thrown in there like one big data dump and you want to pick out several products for each category page on your site, it isn't even possible to find any without categories. Like Target's feed at Performics now.

Like mentioned above - baby gifts. Will it be a gift of a furniture set for $500 or a package of onesies for $15?

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I'm not sure what this guy means for Vitasprings they have categories in the feed.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    [QUOTE=success469]It also in my regard, includes most baby merchants and lingerie merchants.
    [QUOTE]

Hi Success,

We have 28 different subcategories(double strollers, strollers, toilet training, cribs, baby carriers, just to name a few) for our baby feed. Drop me a line if you would like more info.

thanks,
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

ABW Ambassador
    What make it even worse is that after you spend hours and hours customize the feed, then you find out all the buy url go to their home page or some pages not even close to the cat/subcat

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    That's inexcusable!
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Not sure what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    I'm not sure what this guy means for Vitasprings they have categories in the feed.
    You may want to read the 1st paragraph again...slowly, in my initial post.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread