Question Is Content Management System needed for a blog-type of website
    Can CMS be used for a blog-type of website. It's basically just a site I would like to put my articles on. The only problem I'm seeing is archiving. Any suggestions?

I also checked word-press but I don't want it to look like a typical blog-site, since I'll also put some of my artworks in it not just articles.

It's a personal site. I'll probably just put adsense and a few banners but not really make it a business.

suggestions are very much appriciated.

you can modify your blog template on wordpless to suit your needs.

A CMS is probably overkill.

Google for "wordpress skins" or "wordpress themes" you should be able to find ones that you like.

http and a telephoto
    Wordpress is a great "light" alternative to a CMS. I have used many in the past and they were hacked and were overkill. You can set up Wordpress to have a static front page instead of your posts, your posts can go into archives, plus you can make static pages as well. And there are tons of templates now so that it doesn't have to look like wordpress at all. I even know of a few sites using Wordpress as a links directory, and it doesn't look at all like a Wordpress site. (No I don't know how she's doing it, lol, but the site looks lovely).
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Another vote for wordpress. The themes are highly customizable, and there are a ton of great plugins to help you do all sorts of things. Check out wp-plugins.net for some ideas.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Yep, another vote for WordPress. A big advantage of WordPress over other blogging systems is that it allows you to create multiple categories, so you can submit posts to several categories to leverage your content.

Another vote for wordpress. I've been converting a couple domains and sites to it and agree that it can be considered a type of cms itself. Picking and tweaking the template to how you want it to look seems the biggest challenge. Once you have that set it's go time.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Affiliate Manager
    One more vote for wordpress.

alexking.org has a pretty thorough discussion of converting his site and the plugins he chose. very helpful to get the ball rolling for me. he actually wrote a few plugins that are free there as well.

there is also a plugin that eludes me that purely lets you have a static homepage and flip-flop the home/blog names to create a nicely done homepage even though wordpress is your cms. you can google "how to use wordpress as a cms" or something close to that and find the plugin pretty quickly.

http and a telephoto
    Gregg, it is built into the latest version of WordPress... no plugin required.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    very cool. i actually just installed the new version to convert a joomla site that i totally botched(too much power for a relatively simple site=i went overboard with the stupid modules). i look forward to playing with this.

Thanks for the reply... So that means I can design my own website (template) and have wordpress in it rather than going for Joomla.
    Does anyone know how to do that? Or a link perhaps? I looked at wordpress and its all bloggish template. But I'd have to agree its good for blogging. I'm driving myself nuts in checking programs like a kid in a candy store.

The way I usually design templates, I find some prebuilt one that is the closest to what I'm looking to have when I'm done and start from there. Basically, wordpress templates use straight HTML and CSS code with some PHP snippets to include the wordpress output. Here's a good start:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Thanks! I guess I'd throw my Joomla manual LOL

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread