Unintentional ranking on Google
    I was just looking through the webmaster tools on Google and saw that one of my websites was being ranked very highly for a specific keyword. Looked through the logs, and am getting some decent traffic on it.

Here is the problem, the keyword is misspelled. It's actually a word that still relates to the content, but because of the misspelling it is a different word than I meant.

I know, proof read things, but sometimes I just don't catch them. I did it here earlier tonight. Typed the word "do" when I meant the word "due". Same thing on the website.

My question, should I change it? What would you do, knowing that it's actually the only keyword/phrase for which the site is ranking in the top 5 on Google.

ABW Ambassador
    If it's traffic for something a merchant sells or you can make money with, I'd leave it.

Um no. I can't tell you the number of people who spell my site name CLEAVERMOMS... So many, I had to buy the domain and point it. One day I will do a spoof site that redirects, in an effort to educate the many people who think Clever is spelled CLEAVER.... but no need to throw away good traffic. People who can't spell shop too.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

I agree that the traffic is good to have and people who can't spell certainly do still conduct transactions... (especially since I'm one of them!)

What concerns me is how those who arrive at the site through a means that didn't require the misspelling view the site. If they got there through ppc or direct type in and see this misspelling does it invoke a sense of distrust?

Would it affect you? Would you simply think it was an honest error, or would you think "how unprofessional, I'd never do business with someone who presents themselves this way."

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I agree that the traffic is good to have and people who can't spell certainly do still conduct transactions... (especially since I'm one of them!)

What concerns me is how those who arrive at the site through a means that didn't require the misspelling view the site. If they got there through ppc or direct type in and see this misspelling does it invoke a sense of distrust?

Would it affect you? Would you simply think it was an honest error, or would you think "how unprofessional, I'd never do business with someone who presents themselves this way."
    There is a really old marketing book called, "Don't make me think," about online marketing.... People don't want to think and anything we can do to make that task easier is a plus...

If I have customers who can't spell coming to my site, I want to screen them anyway and keep only the ones with a heightened sense of humor. So if the others leave after seeing the future cleaver spoof page, then so be it!

Affiliate Manager davidscookies's Avatar
    It really depends on how important branding is for your particular business model. Some sites need to really tighten up their language while others can get away with misspellings because of their audience. Personally, I like to keep a hub site nice and clean, while building some satellite sites to capitalize on the added traffic and rankings.

In your case, the error is already on the page, and it's already pulling traffic. So you need to do a few things:
    1) Find out exactly how much traffic it's pulling (5, 50, 500 visitors a day?)
    2) Measure how well that traffic is converting - are these people making a buying decision, or clicking through links on the page?

This will give you a cost:benefits ratio of sorts that can help in the decision making process. If you're getting 5 clicks a day, and after 6 months you haven't made a sale and no one's clicked through the links on your page, then maybe you should fix the typo.

If you're getting 50 clicks a day and that converts into a sale a week, then maybe you want to keep it...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What would you do, knowing that it's actually the only keyword/phrase for which the site is ranking in the top 5 on Google.
    I wouldn't even consider "fixing" it!!!

If they got there through ppc or direct type in and see this misspelling does it invoke a sense of distrust?
    I'd say it depends on how glaring the error is. If it's buried in the middle of a paragraph, many probably won't even notice it.

Other than that, it depends on the viewer's particular quirks. But from my experience, there aren't all that many spelling nazis. Usually, I would say there's not enough of those! I even find obvious errors in respectable newspapers!

On the other hand, when I find that a misspelling or typo on my own site is bringing me money, I absolutely leave it alone. Revenue is King, and people who can't spell often bring a lot of it.

If it's a merchant name, and you stick affiliate links in there, they might get mad. If it's just a product thats misspelled, then get all you can off it!

I noticed something, if you get a high keyword rank on Google, and you noticed an error and you edit it. Google drops you off the top 10 (Static Pages only Dynamic Pages this doesn't happen)

As long as the misspelled keyword is not misleading, i.e. the correct one relates to baby nappies and the misspelled one relates to used cars, than itís ok to leave it. Also, if this is the only typo in the page I donít see a problem with credibility. As Leader pointed out, even big newspapers with a multitude of editorial levels have typos sneak in.

Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread