"Pay per print" coupon deals?
    Do such things exist, ie the affiliate gets paid when the consumer prints a coupon?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Not sure about that but, consumers buy coupons on eBay, all the time.

http and a telephoto
    How would the merchant know the coupon was actually printed?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ValueClick had a LensCrafters coupon months back that we ran. The print page was pixeled. So they do exist. Didn't perform too well though.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

I'm not sure about "pay per print" but I know some folks have worked out "pay per redemption" deals, if the coupon is used in a retail store.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I'm not sure about "pay per print" but I know some folks have worked out "pay per redemption" deals, if the coupon is used in a retail store.

That would be an interesting study in trust. How could this be tracked?

seems like most of those printable coupon sites have lots of banners & other ads. I assume most of the $ comes that way.

http and a telephoto
    In the 90's there were a lot of printable coupons and there was so much counterfeiting that went on that the coupons were banned by many local brick and mortar stores.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for the input all, and the links Michael. I should know better to search first...a year here and I'm still a moron.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    That would be an interesting study in trust. How could this be tracked?
    I would imagine using unique promo codes. Each affiliate would have a unique coupon promo code that the user would have to enter to redeem the coupon.

That would be my guess. I'm not too familiar with those type offers.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Someone wrote that "pay-per-redemption" "would be an interesting study in trust. How could this be tracked?: <

First, when I say "pay-per-redemption," I am referring to the use of a coupon at the checkout in a retail store, although I am also aware of situations where coupons are delivered to drive traffic to an online store (for example, Retailer A might include, with its shipments, a coupon for Retailer B, with the coupon code entered by the consumer to get a discount on B's web site, and the coupon code triggering the affiliate commission back to retailer A).

You're right that the "coupon redeemed in retail store" requires a reasonable amount of trust in the retailer, who must track and report the sales. In practice, it requires that the retailer track coupons pretty much in the same way as cash; if the store clerk just keys in a 10% discount and discards the coupon, the tracking is lost, and unless the clerk is absolutely required to keep the coupon to balance the cash drawer, the coupon will disappear. (An example: we call at least once a month to order a pizza from Mountain Mike's Pizza, and we often use a printable coupon from their web site to get a better price; but the person taking the phone order doesn't ask for the coupon ID, and the delivery person never actually takes the coupon, so they don't actually know if we were redeeming a coupon from the newspaper, a postal mailer, or the web.)

Even if the coupon makes it into the retailer's "cash register stream," the affiliate must also rely on the retailer actually reporting the coupon's redemption, which will require another step to manually type in the coupon code somewhere -- some unscrupulous retailers might not do this, and even honest retailers are likely to defer this task for some time, so the reporting is likely to lag by at least a week and possibly several months.

As someone else suggested, the coupon would be encoded, at least with with the affiliate ID, but potentially with a longer coupon number that could actually be tracked back to a specific clickthough and visitor so that the affiliate could determine the source of the referral.

My experience is that the combination of "retail clerk indifference" and "extra work for the store owner" is enough to prevent 99% of couponing opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    My experience is that the combination of "retail clerk indifference" and "extra work for the store owner" is enough to prevent 99% of couponing opportunities.
    This is the real problem with pay per redemption. Aside from the point made by Loxly about the fraud from the 90's driving businesses away from printable online coupons.

The creating and tracking of a coupon itself is pretty straight forward. I've been working on it for over a year for local merchants using a custom php script I wrote.

At this point my solution is simply a 'pay to post' system, but a way to do it on a 'pay per redemption' system would open many opportunities. This would provide a proof of concept without risk to the business owner. No doubt it would certainly encourage greater concept adoption from the small to mid sized businesses to which it is targeted.

I've considered charging on a pay per print, which is also easy to implement, but this doesn't give the merchant any safe guard against fraud.

Hi there,

We were running an pay per coupon print offer. However, overall performance was low due to an active x control warning. If the user did not have the active x downloaded correctly, the coupon would not print, therefore no conversions were recorded. We are currently working on an in house solution that does not require active x and is easily trackable. Hope this helps!

Please tell Denise to get in touch with me!

Thanks, have a great day all.
    Missy Barnstein

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread