Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Hey gang, I am curious. How long do you wait to toss a merchant that isn't converting? I am talking about a new merchant you have decided to try out.

~Michelle

200 click throughs or 1000 impressions, unless it is a higher ticket item, then I would probably double that.

Ditto

Another consideration may be checking if the merchant is a more seasonal type store. I have some merchants I do squat for most of the year, but holidays, mother's day, valentines day, etc make up for it.

Before I remove a merchant I may try a few different things, changing placement, changing my wording to see if maybe it is something on my end.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Combo of all of the above. 200 clicks and no
    sale is definite reason for a pull. But I
    agree with Connie that some stores do far better on a seasonal basis.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

As soon as I find another merchant that produces better results for me.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree around the 200 mark I'm very leery and have had a few go further but keep in mind that a merchant who isn't converting may just be parasite ridden and have all kinds of shannenigans with reporting going on.

I used to have OS and generated a 20% click thru rate on very targeted items so obviously, I had some great marketing for them but could not manage to get a sale from them even after 600 clicks. My sister made a purchase and it never showed. After waiting a couple of days I gave notification and complained. Two days later, three sales for the day in question showed up (they had no way of knowing which order was my sisters). Very fishy yes? I ended up pulling OS and here is the important reason why you don't wait 1000 clicks - sales started showing up for the other merchants in the mix as spoon as OS was pulled.

It's bad enough to have a merchant not reporting sales but when they are taking sales away from other merchants who would report a sales it's doubly bad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Usually I don't remove any merchants except for a yearly sweep-out! I used to, but came to the conclusion that there's really no point in it unless (like Happypoon said) their presence is interfering with getting sales at other merchants. I just keep piling on new merchants and pages, and stop updating the losers. Losers filter to the bottom of the SEs and to backwater links on my sites, simply because they end up underneath the newer stuff.

One of the exceptions is, if I find out the merchant is a crook (usually determined when I buy something, but a commish doesn't show up--but there have been some really out-there crook things like, no way to enter the merchant site and just a number on the front page!). Links also disappear real quick if some Affiliate "Manager" comes on here (ABW) with a total-jerk attitude!

That's about it, though--no set amount of clicks or traffic go into the determination.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

As Leader Said, I would stop updating the underperforming merchants And they obviously would land in the depth. I would rather weed them out in my yearly maintenance schedule.

Having Said that i didn't lose time removing over 500 OverStock Pages.

ABW Ambassador
    "taking traffic away from the other merchants in the mix" (to paraphrase)

I agree with the strategy of removing underperforming merchant's links if they seem to be drawing away from other offers, but....

The flip side of the same token is that sometimes terms and phrases that appear in a particlur ad/creative can be helping to drive traffic to a page, resulting in more sales for the merchants who do perform for you.

It pays to remove first, then watch traffic and sales trends after the next SE update of the page, then weigh your options. If traffic and/or sales to the pages that links were dropped from declines noticeably, then it may be just as well to replace the underperforming links.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> but there have been some really out-there crook things <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My favorite "crook thing" is when you inquire about a test purchase that did not show up in reports, and they ask you to send them the info so they can credit you for the sale, all the while insisting that everything is "tracking OK" or some other such nonsense.

This way they get to sweep the issue under the carpet for the cost of one commission, and still not credit you for the sales that you did not know about.

If any merchant/AM ever asks for this type of information, tell them to just credit you for ALL of your sales! Not just the ones that YOU know about!

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks for the input!

I am going to mull over the different ideas and suggestions and figure out what I want to do.

~Michelle

ABW Ambassador
    I find myself more inclined to think about rewarding good merchants than in "punishing" bad ones.

If I have a page that is delivering several thousand page views a month, I will probably turn placement on that page into a reward for a good merchant. I guess that ends up punishing bad ones. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I do know that hundreds of clicks really isn't a good enough test to determine if a program is bad, but is more than enough to show a program is good.

Protophoto - Short Stories

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread