Stats on Shareasale.
    I am more than a little puzzled by the stats on SAS.

If they are to be believed - according to the 7/30 day EPC - most merchants have never, ever sold anything!

Am I missing something?

Ray

Some haven't, and some may not have sold anything within the 7 or 30 days.

In any case it's a pretty useless stat. One way to look at a zero is that there's very little competition on that merchant, another is that they don't convert, but more than likely they just haven't received much traffic.

I'd pay more attention to what you think you can sell, and what you think of the merchant's site. If the product is something you have some ideas for and the merchants site is clean, free of leaks and looks like it'll convert well for you, throw EPC out the window.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Thanks Eathan,

Most helpful reply. I appreciate it.

Ray

ABW Ambassador
    "One way to look at a zero is that there's very little competition on that merchant, another is that they don't convert, but more than likely they just haven't received much traffic."

That's one way to look at it. Another way is there could be a problem somewhere. Check if the merchant still exists, check if the merchant is online and on autodeposit, do a search for the merchant on this board to see if anybody else was having problems etc. Email the merchant and see if you get a reply, check things out first before you invest any time or money into the merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    Another way to interpret the same might be this merchant's products or offerings are of no substantial interest to "consumers".

I commented on the meaning of EPC figures in another thread a few days ago, but the short answer is "yes," many of the merchants on ShareASale really did generate zero affiliate sales in the past 30 days, and I would certainly not be surprised if fewer than half of all SAS merchants have had affiliate-driven sales in the past 30 days.

Quite frankly, this is because the majority of merchants in the SAS system are crappy merchants, and many of those programs are inactive/dormant/abandoned/forgotten by the merchants. Personally, I wish SAS were more pro-active in "pushing out" inactive and defunct merchants, and in educating the "clueless" merchants, but their economic model doesn't really lend itself to very much handholding (not that higher fees at CJ or LS result in any more handholding).

Note that a zero EPC on the merchant's site does not mean the merchant isn't selling anything -- only that the merchant isn't generating sales through the SAS affiliate channel. As others note, a zero EPC could mean that the merchant's tracking is no longer working, but usually it just means that no orders were placed by any customers who were directed to the merchant's site by an affiliate.

For an "affiliate project" I've been working on, I have created a spreadsheet of SAS merchants, and I've flagged about 75% of those merchants to be excluded from any consideration for my project (because of absurdly low commissions, toll-free numbers on the home page, google adsense ads or affiliate links to other sites, incredibly bad site design, and a number of other reasons). Remember, there are 3,000 merchants in the SAS system, but even if I were able to work full-time on my project, I'd never find any reason to create links for more than about 200 of them.

[edit to say this was posted in reply to redtagdeals. Mark and I posted at the same time]

Read it how you like, but I go back to what works for you. The last $0 EPC merchant I thought I could promote is now at $129 EPC for me. If I had read a lot into the stat, I wouldn't be making that money.

Trust is right about investigating a mercahant before you jump, but I don't much agree with the idea that a merchant's product offering might be "...of no substantial interest to consumers." The fact is, they wouldn't be a merchant if nobody bought their wares.

A terrible website that won't convert is another matter entirely, as is a marketing strategy that won't work for a given merchant, but rest assured that somebody buys what they're selliing.

There's an interesting thread on the Midnight Cafe:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=90782

Notice that most of the potential reasons given for dropping EPC are not on the merchant side. While not specific to $0 EPC it does illustrate some of the things affecting a merchant's EPC - changing seasons, how affiliates market, etc.

The same is true for high EPCs. This could mean the merchant converts great, could mean they have good affiliates, could mean they get rid of affiliates falling below their target, could mean a lot of things. That's why I go back to what I think I can sell and if I think the merchant site will do what I want with the traffic I send.

I'm not always right, but it's better than making decisions based on EPC.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I'm not always right, but it's better than making decisions based on EPC.
    In agreement with Eathan and Trust here.

The biggest red flag for me is the Last Commisionable Sale Date. If that's over 30 days I'll be looking elsewhere. It would depend on the product catagory and the time of year also. If it's toys in December he better have no more than a couple of days of blanks.

One of my favorite merchants will occasional go 7 days without an affiliate sale then his EPC zeros. He doesn't have many affiliates cause it's usually my sale that breaks the ice. That can be a good thing.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread