Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Was just checking out the discussion boards over at Amazon and checked the Associates Program Policy Updates and this was posted Nov.26

http://forums.prosperotechnologies.c...msg=23.1&ctx=0

1) Policy:

Amazon.com Associates are prohibited from any attempt to intercept or re-direct traffic or referral fees from any web site of another Associate.

1.1) Official Language in Op Agreement (section 4)

“In addition, you may not: … (h) attempt to intercept or re-direct (including, without limitation, via user-installed software) traffic from or on, or divert referral fees from, any web site that participates in the Program;”

Does Ebates violate this policy?

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

TrustNo1 wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Does Ebates violate this policy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure sounds like it to me. Amazon has been one of the leaders in protecting the rights of its affiliates. I wish a few more merchants would do so.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I think Amazon's leadership in this is going to be pretty important. They will help form opinions about what's "right" and what's "wrong" more effectively than LinkShare, BeFree or anyone else involved, IMO. I'm *very* glad they're doing the right thing.

- Ed

ABW Ambassador
    I checked the ebates site and amazon is still there. I don't think they are aware of the problem. Maybe someone from Amazon can take a look. I'm curious if they think it is a violation of their policy.

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Amazon is listed as a coupon only merchant with ebates. This means that ebates is restricted from having Amazon as part of their MMM and ebates only receives commissions when someone has clicked through from their site.

Amazon did a test with ebates to determine if they were going to allow these types of "affiliates" The decision following the test period was no.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    There was a decision made?

I thought the trial ran out..but.. I never saw any "decision" ...

hmm..

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Joseph,

See here http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...221#3516081221

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

In my preliminary testing, eBates does not pop-up at all on Amazon or through amazon links.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Interestingly enough, since Amazon has taken a stand against the predatorial type programs, I've personally seen a steady increase in the conversion ratio, and clicks, from the few links to Amazon I had on a few of our sites.

Seeing this trend, I mixed in a few more keyword links within our content and have seen a steady average for keyword clicks to conversions on our sites at over 20% conversion rate.

I've since made the move to using Amazon as my only affiliate program provider. To me they have earned the right to have that exclusivity given their stance on predators.

They speak to their affiliates via the discussion boards. They answer emails promptly. They have backbone when it comes to predatorial programs. The networks don't, it's that simple. It's one thing to pay lip service, it's quite another to prove it with quick results and resolutions to problems. Amazon gets my vote.

That's just my 2 cents, but I am seeing higher conversions and a heck of a lot more shipped sales and, more importantly, revenues with Amazon, than I have with the networks for a long time.

Amazon has emerged as the true leader in this regard while the networks are playing with affiliate's livelihood.

Are you the same Robert from CJU that posted about using the Anaconda script?

If so, I truly thank you. I don't use Anaconda, I use Cusimano's amazon.pl, but with great results.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Webmistress,

Yes, I am the same Robert. And no problem. Either script can be used quite effectively for building your own keywords inside content.

Works well, huh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I have never tried either of the scripts. Which of the two is the easiest for a novice?
    cazzie

Cazzie, I've personally not installed the Cusimano script, though I've seen it in action and understand how it works. From my limited experience with it, I'd venture to say that the Cusimano script would likely be easiest for the novice as opposed to the Anaconda one.

I find the Anaconda one easy to use for the simply reason I've used it for so long (a few years) so I have the customizing stuff down pretty good.

As an aside, Amazon themselves empower affiliates with some pretty useful copy/paste tools.

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH,
    Thanks.

I was kind of referring to Lisa's saying: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Our test with ebates concludes Oct 1, 2002. After that date, our current policy of not allowing Associates sites to offer rebates to individual consumers will stand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just took that to mean that after the test they'd rever to their old position of no rebate sites. Then they'd work on crunching the data and at some time in the future decide whether it was in their benefir to partner with them or not to. Hopefully, they'll continue this policy. I wish more merchants would go so far as not just to say no parasites, but, also NO rebate sites. I just checked ebates.com earlier and it appears that amazon is coupons only, which afaik, means no rebate, which means no amzn partnership. YAY!

--

ABW Ambassador
    I guess I'm one of those funny people. I promote amazon only in a select few places and mostly is just for books.

I actually view amazon and companies like overstock, catalog city.com as my competiton.

I do not want my users getting to familiar with or to me sending them to a site for everything I promote. You see - after a while it would become very hard for me to build loyalty with my own site if I did that. Eventually, they just bypass me and go directly to the competition.

Maybe others don't have this opinion but not to long ago overstock was getting email addresses from every user that came to their site before they even put an item in the cart. Why would they or any other merchant do this? To cut your butt out of the picture on future sales and to bombard them with specials.

I suggest extreme caution when merchants use the above tactics and certainly don't recommend you to put all of your eggs in one basket.

ABW Ambassador
    Not funny. That makes perfect sense. I hated when overstock did (does?) that. Amazon sells EVERYTHING now.. Its definitely something to consider.

--

Affiliate Manager
    We give 14 Return Days. Overstock.com, like many other Merchant sites, have a spot for folks to "opt-in" to our newsletters. If you send Overstock.com traffic and someone opts-in to our newsletters, then yes, we begin sending them information about our specials. If they buy within 14 days, you get commission...

How is that bad?

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

ABW Ambassador
    Shawn, you need to watch yourself.

I personally view your previous statement and your terms of agreements as an outright lie (unless you've dropped your parasite relationships which I'm not aware of)!

You fail to mention you are partnered with parasites that will likely steal an affiliates commissions enabling them the possibilities of making $0 for promoting your company.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I personally view your previous statement and your terms of agreements as an outright lie (unless you've dropped your parasite relationships which I'm not aware of)!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I have no idea what you are talking about, happypoon. The only person we currently partner with that is considered "parasiteware" is eBates and they are releasing software that would make them not parasitic. I have been told that the new software does not pop-up when traffic is generated from an affiliate website. In my testing so far, I have found this to be true.

Am I missing something?

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

ABW Ambassador
    You've been partened with the parasites while they openely diverted in the past and they continue to "slip up".

Shall I point them to the screenshot of MMM popping up on overstock.com just last week?

Affiliate Manager
    I'm not looking at the past, happypoon.

Right now, we are partnered with eBates. Right now, their NEW software appears to be OK, in that it does not appear to be issuing pop-ups over affiliate-generated traffic.

If I learn otherwise, we will take action.

Right now, we are not working with anyone else that I would consider "ParasiteWare".

Have a great day,

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

ABW Ambassador
    Shawn,

Just as a heads up, in the future when you are testing for compliance, you might want to do it on a machine that is not from your on domain.

I'd suggest dedicating a laptop with dialin access and let that PC remain unknown to ebates or any other parasite as being associated with OS at all.

It would be very easy for the parasites to isolate and identify machines on your domain and not divert in that case. In that way, you never would see or detect diversions from your end.

Affiliate Manager
    happypoon, I do all of my testing from one of my home PCs. I never test from Overstock.com's domain.

I understand the point that you just raised. That's why I do my testing on my personal computers...

Thanks,

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn@Overstock.com:
    Right now, their NEW software appears to be OK, in that it does not appear to be issuing pop-ups over affiliate-generated traffic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] hums "the boxer"

lie, lie, lie,
    lie, lie, lie,
    lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie,
    lie, lie, lie,
    such are promises, all lies and jest
    still a man hears what he wants to hear and disreguards the rest.....

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

[This message was edited by Vicki on December 09, 2002 at 01:54 PM.]

Affiliate Manager
    All I can go on is what I see for myself. With the new version, I can't see a problem w/ eBates. If I am wrong, please email shawn@overstock.com with your test results and details.

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast