Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    a lot of visits no sales
    Hi,
    I turned to the merchandiser program as I work with datafeeds. Now there are a lot of visitors but no sales. I made an inquiery weeks ago at linkshare helpdesk, but no answer since today. I tested tracking and I believe that there is everything ok. Thousands of visitors an no sales. I hardly can believe this.

roland

ABW Ambassador
    Thousands of visitors a day or a month? Are they clicking through to the merchants site? I have some merchants that convert on about 1 sale for every 25 clicks, others are about 1 in 250.

If you want to share more info, perhaps we can brainstorm the issues.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Lily,
    sorry my fault.
    Thousands a week and these are clickthroughs. I have to mention that the clickthrough rate is about 2% and that is usually with other aff. progs also my conversion rate.

roland

it depends on the merchant. wait a week more.
    how do you get the traffic?

Maybe try placing a small test order.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I agree with Greg, place a small test order to see if it tracks. I had a problem awhile back with a merchant, and after about 300 clickthroughs and no sales, I placed a test order and it didn't track. I contacted the merchant and they fixed the problem (something in their tracking code). Ever since then, if I join a merchant and don't see a sale in the first couple hundreds of clicks, I'll do a test transaction. If tracking is working, then I look at other possible reasons why there hasn't been a conversion. Maybe the traffic isn't targeted enough, or maybe the merchants site isn't very user friendly and hard to navigate around. It could be many different reasons, but to have that many clicks and no transactions, something doesn't seem right.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Are you sure they aren't robot clicks? Mine have been way high lately and I know they can't be right. You would think the networks would be able to filter these out.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    Are you sure they aren't robot clicks? Mine have been way high lately and I know they can't be right. You would think the networks would be able to filter these out.
    How about pre-appending a jump.php?link=<aff link> or bounce.php?link=<aff link> to all your affiliate links and then place jump.php or bounce.php in your robots.txt file?

Affiliate Manager davidscookies's Avatar
    A few questions that might help out:

Where does your traffic come from?
    Is your traffic targeted to the program you're promoting?
    Have you clicked through the links to confirm that they work & show up in your stats in Linkshare?
    Are there any factors that might hurt conversions, like slow page load times?

There are some great suggestions above. Another option is to build a full page ad (FPA) and link to that from the page that your traffic comes in on. Then one more click thru directly to the buy page of the merchant website. You'll at least be able to tell if it's an issue with the traffic or an issue with the merchant site if you do that.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi, thanks to all,

the traffic comes mainly from bookmarks and search engines and is highly targeted. As I work with datafeeds I use a jump.php, and if I compare with my tracking the clicks are real clicks.
    The best I can do is to place a test order, I think.

I keep you informed.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi,

I executed a test sale and the sale was not tracked. I informed the merchant ( yoox.com ) and also customer support at linkshare. This was the only source of finding help at linkshare.com. Does anybody know if this is the right place for tracking probs or is there any other place to send an inquiery?

roland

I think you did about all you can do now. Let's see if you get a reply from either.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Hi,

I executed a test sale and the sale was not tracked. I informed the merchant ( yoox.com ) and also customer support at linkshare. This was the only source of finding help at linkshare.com. Does anybody know if this is the right place for tracking probs or is there any other place to send an inquiery?

roland
    Ackkkkkkkkkkkk - I feel your pain Roland. Happens to me quite regularly.

Try switching the merchants with similar ones on other networks. Bet you'll see a huge difference.

As affiliates, we have NO transparency and have no idea what happens to clicks once they leave our site. This is one of my biggest gripes with affiliate marketing. I want to know WTF my visitors are doing once they click through to the merchant if not BUYING.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Yoox is a clothing merchant. There's lots of products from other merchants you can put on those pages while you wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    There's lots of products from other merchants you can put on those pages while you wait.
    Or other networks......

ABW Ambassador
    I'd bet that I will not hear anything from both, linkshare and yoox.

rolli

ABW Ambassador
    Yoox.com confirms that the links are not my links they provided with the datafeed and puts the responsibility to me. And as said linkshare did not answer anything.
    I left cj.com because such things happened a lot of times. Now I think I must leave linkshare too.

roland

Yoox.com confirms that the links are not my links they provided with the datafeed and puts the responsibility to me. And as said linkshare did not answer anything.
    I left cj.com because such things happened a lot of times. Now I think I must leave linkshare too.

roland
    Roland, are you able to actually see the clicks in the Linkshare reports? If so I can't imagine why they would be able to track the clicks but not the sales.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    As affiliates, we have NO transparency and have no idea what happens to clicks once they leave our site. This is one of my biggest gripes with affiliate marketing. I want to know WTF my visitors are doing once they click through to the merchant if not BUYING.
    That would be a nice report to have indeed. Affiliates would then be able to atleast open up one of our eyes. Right now, we are totally blind.

I had a similar experience with Wireless Emporium on CJ - I was generating 30 to 50 clicks a day on their Motorola PhoneTools after starting a page in early May, 2007 and got a few sales each week. Not much to shout about, but encouraging just the same.

Then for some reason in June the sales just stopped. Clicks kept coming in at the same rate, but no sales.

After 2 weeks of no sales, I switched to using Amazon for the same product and sold 4 that first day! Granted, the price was a little lower with Amazon (and likewise the commission) but at least they started selling again, and I've been selling 1 to 5 a day ever since I switched over.

CJ sales have been very low this month, but I'm not convinced it's a system-wide problem. For example, my brother started a new business and needed a web site, so I sold him a Hostmonster account through on of my links. It tracked just fine and I made $90 commissions. I also had a couple sales from Dotster for $100 in commissions.

But there's been nothing else the whole month from CJ, even though I've generated 544 clicks from 31,874 impressions so far this month (June 23rd today).

Oops - just realized I was rambling on and on about CJ in a LS forum.

Sorry about that. I guess I've been away too long, and this is an embarrassing way to jump back in!

As far as LS goes though, I never sell anything with them. I've generated 5,595 impressions this month from LS ads, and 158 clicks - and zero sales. In fact, the only thing I've sold from LS this entire year has been the flowers I bought my wife for Mother's Day.

Hard to believe they got the recent awards!

ABW Ambassador
    No answer at all. Not from yoox and not from linkshare.

roland

Talking

roland
    That should tell you all that you need to know. Get rid of them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

roland
    Well maybe you're not getting a response [from LS or the particular merchant] because basically the message is "I'm sending lots of traffic without any sales."

I had a serious problem once with LS [and this is related to your question in terms of my experience with dealing with LS and their not so open communication] because they accidentally deleted me as an affiliate to my most important programs -- I was desperate for help.
    I received some good advice from the LS Mod in this forum but when I called Linkshare I did not get a call back; however, the problem was solved in the end when I was mysteriously reinstated -- Linkshare works in mysterious ways.

Back to your original question, be glad you are sending lots of traffic [unless you are paying per click, then thousands of clicks will become expensive].

Greg's idea with a small test order is a very good idea.

Otherwise, I know that one of my "hot products that I am selling" is getting close to 400 clicks before a sale of this product [that I have sold more than one of].

You have to think of reasons why people click. Some are curious, some want a bigger pic or more info ... Some people buy on the spot but many will say "I'll be back."

If you are not paying per click, what's the worry?
    If your traffic is organic, then at least be happy that you are driving traffic.

edit: I've written so many posts that I get swamped by my own posts but here's one problem that a few people had:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ight=Linkshare

Check this out & the entire thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=29

Look, problems finally were resolved.
    I don't "dump merchants" officially, I keep them on the books.
    If you announce to a merchant "I divorce thee" 3X, you've crossed the Rubicon -- it's better to keep them dangling even if you have 2nd thoughts on them. That only works for organic traffic [the only type I do] -- if you are loosing $$$ in ppc, stop promoting the merchant via ppc.

Here's the famous post:
    I was told that my "account has been voluntarily deactivated" --gag me with a spoon!

I would never voluntarily deactivate my account!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other posts I have eulogized Linkshare -- especially their advanced poduct link creatives generator -- but this is ridiculous!!

I did not voluntarily deactivate any channel I have with them! Especially now that we are entering the Holiday Season.

This type of thing really annoys me!!
    and this one:
    Tracking is affected because my links are pointing to:
    http://localhost/error.html

As in Shakespeare's Macbeth:
    Quote:
    "fair is foul and foul is fair" (1.1.13)

Something is deeply wrong and troubling!!
    They deactivated me from my best merchants & blamed it on me -- that's a serious problem -- but I did "ride out the wave" and now the problems have been solved.

Don't be too hasty or do anything rash that you'll regret later.

You can make good sales with LS merchants but it doesn't happen all at once right away. Be patient if your expenses are software, hardware, hosting ...
    If you are spending money promoting merchants, don't be a sucker
    Last edited by Rhia7; June 28th, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I feel your pain Roland. Happens to me quite regularly.
    I feel the pain too, but "no pain, no gain."
    Try switching the merchants with similar ones on other networks. Bet you'll see a huge difference.
    I say diversify and find similar merchants but don't drop the original merchant unless the merchant was a total sleezeball.
    Keep the merchant but also branch out.
    As affiliates, we have NO transparency and have no idea what happens to clicks once they leave our site.
    True

This is one of my biggest gripes with affiliate marketing. I want to know WTF my visitors are doing once they click through to the merchant if not BUYING.
    Psychology: they're lookers and they're "bebacks."

Do you buy every dress you try on in the dressing room of a department store?
    No?!? Gasp!!! What were you doing?

Some people will buy on the spot, some people want to think it over.
    I hate to say it, but some people click for kicks, for entertainment.
    Some people want to see bigger/clearer pictures, maybe more pictures of the product ... etc...

I like people who buy right on the click
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast