More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Search multiple databases/tables?
    I would like to be able to search multiple tables from a mysql database (or from different databases) using PHP. All tables have the same structure.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Selecting data from 2 different tables within the same database is no problem

Just use the mysql_query with the different table names

PHP Code:
    $result1=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table1"); 
    or
    $result2=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table2"); 
    Using two different databases you will have to connect to both databases:

PHP Code:
     $link1 mysql_connect("DB_SERVER""DB_USERNAME","DB_PASSWORD")
       or die(
    "Could not connect : " mysql_error());

mysql_select_db("DB_DATABASE1",$link1);

$link2 mysql_connect("DB_SERVER""DB_USERNAME2","DB_PASSWORD2")
       or die(
    "Could not connect : " mysql_error());

mysql_select_db("DB_DATABASE2",$link2); 
    Then in the query you will have indicate which database you are using

PHP Code:
    $result1=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table1",$link1); 
    or
    $result2=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table2",$link2); 

If they all have the same structure, it would probably be better to have them all in the same table with an extra column for whatever is unique about them. For instance, if the tables are products from datafeeds and you're thinking about a separate table for each merchant, just create a single product table and add a merchant field.

If you're trying to combine data from multiple, normalized tabled, you'll want to look at the JOIN command.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks guys! It sounds like there are several good options.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I agree with Michael. It's definitely best to put all the data in a single table. You could write a PHP script that will combine all your tables into a single table. This script can execute nightly after all of your individual tables are updated. That way your front end isn't affected by your back end updates. I keep my raw datafeed data separate from my front end, searchable, optimized data.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

[QUOTE=SnibThat way your front end isn't affected by your back end updates. I keep my raw datafeed data separate from my front end, searchable, optimized data.

- Scott[/QUOTE]

So the raw datafeed is the "back end"? Is the "front end" another datafeed table that has been optimized?

How could your "front end" be affected by some other type of update?

I assume you use some sort of cron job to automatically revise the large table made up of other tables?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    So the raw datafeed is the "back end"? Is the "front end" another datafeed table that has been optimized?

How could your "front end" be affected by some other type of update?

I assume you use some sort of cron job to automatically revise the large table made up of other tables?
    I've actually got two tables. One table holds every product from every datafeed while the other holds every in-stock, unique product. So the raw datafeed table might have 20 rows for a particular product from 20 different merchants, but the front end table only has one row for that product because it's only one unique product. Then I use the raw datafeed table to show all the prices from all the merchants when a user views that particular product.

The raw datafeed table is optimized for product imports while the front end table is optimized for product searching and browsing. And yes I've got a number of crontab scripts running to keep everything current.

- Scott

Thanks Scott! Slowly, this is all starting to make sense. Slowly.

I have a ways to go.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    The problem for me is if I use one table only then it kills my server load LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    The problem for me is if I use one table only then it kills my server load LOL
    It shouldn't if you index your tables properly. A properly indexed table should be able to handle upwards of 1 million rows with at least 1gb of ram.

- Scott

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I have indexes on both the name and category fields, the two fields I usually call up the most

A MySQL database, if properly configured, indexed, and designed, can handle a tremendous amount of data and queries quite quickly. I have multiple tables with millions of records, and usually have hundreds of database accesses per second, all without the load being excessive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    I have indexes on both the name and category fields, the two fields I usually call up the most
    If you're experiencing high loads because of a large number or rows, you're most likely missing some necessary indexes.

- Scott

Are you experiencing high loads from database queries, or database updates. Indexes help queries, but updates are a different beast altogether.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread