http://www.msnbc.com/news/844175.asp

Good Article , but the most interesting sentence is in the 5th paragraph from the end -

"Coming next are special searches for products and quotations "

This send chill in my spines [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] .... maybe we will be comfortable thinking that this is a rumour...But guys i am sure they are workin on something and you know this have a lot of potential to take the bread out of the mouth for a lot of affiliates [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

$> cd /pub
    $> more beer

ABW Ambassador
    It will not load for me. I even tried by clicking on the link on http://www.msnbc.com. The popups load just fine though. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Yup, that is scary. That rumour has been around awhile and the fact that it keeps coming up......

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Hopefully they'll stretch themselves too thin and realize that they should just stick to web searches...

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    It is inevitable I'm afraid. Eventually, every company will get greedy, or will "adapt" to business opportunities. Especially the top companies. Because if you're not growing, you're dieing.

I'm interested in what everyone thinks this might mean? Take your best guess, and we'll revisit this thread in 6 months if something does happen.

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

The product search rumour first started 3-4 months before and discussed extensively in the other SE forrum....

Most want to believe it as just a rumour ....But i think product search is technically feasible (that too with an army of 50 Ph.d's) . I guess they will be quitely working on it under the radar ...

If succesful the revenue from this "Mother of all affiliates" program will dwarf the mere 100 million/yr it rakes from adwords [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I dont want to sound too pessimistic , but can't avoid it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What will be the first target you think , Books and CD's ...its very easy to do with those ISBN standards [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ....beware amazon associates.

$> cd /pub
    $> more beer

ABW Ambassador
    There was a time where I thought that there was no way search engines would get in the affiliate game but now it's likely going to come about.

My initial thoughts were "they would be crazy" to turn in PPC ad's which are a sure thing in lieu of profits from affiliates advertising. I felt that if they offered dedicated search results that affiliates using ppc would surely stop.

I continually see my sales dropping off despite increasing traffic - It's rediculus! I've cut way back on my PPC advertising and I can only guess that others are too. As more and more affiliates continue to reduce PPC advertising, companies like google have much less to lose if they did implement their own version of affiliate links on results page.

Of course, they would be astounded at how much is being stolen by parasites.

I personally think they stand to benefit by taking a stronger stance against parasites either way and hopefully they will recognize this and take actions themselve's.

Imagine if google developed a pop up blocker and a BHO anti-venom and put it in the google toolbar.
    Woooooooooooooooooo!

I don't think it's that scary for affiliates. Because Google already does "product searches" from BizRate, Amazon, and most of the merchants we promote. We usually get the traffic what's left of them.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread