Tips for design?
    Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering what the "community at large" uses for website and database design / maintenance. I'm currently building and working on a few different sites and am kind of unhappy with the databases and designs that I have made.
    I've seen some people say that they use phpnuke or xoops but I think those might be overkill.
    I'm really looking for something that would work on a coupon site and another product site that would
    1) be search-able (findable)
    2) allow me to enter new links with expirations
    3) be somewhat customizable.

My main problem right now is that the data is not easy to enter and the site is not very dynamic. I want something a bit more flashy and easier to maintain, as well as something robust.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this.
    Thanks!
    cckid

Are you interested in a Content Management System (CMS)?
    You mentioned phpnuke and xoops. I haven't used either, I was searching for feedback in other forums for Joomla. During in the course of my search/discussions someone gave praise to xoops: he said he had successfully worked with xoops for many years (his site had not been hacked), the support community for xoops is very helpful and he encouraged me to try it.

I haven't tried any of the above mentioned yet but I like to read feedback from those who have. On the other hand, some criticize open source CMSs (I think I listened to the critics but a curiosity still lingers).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

well, i guess that my hangup is actually with the content. i currently have a product 'deals' blog that i run with wordpress and am happy with the easy of use, but i find it a bit cumbersome because i have to:
    1) insert the links and deal descriptions into my db
    2) write some php code
    3) insert it into wordpress

well, i can live with that. the real problem is that users can't search for my deals on the site b/c the deals are not located in the wordpress database, but in my own DB. therefore i don't think that search engines can search and spider my site, and i feel as though wordpress is really at a disadvantage.
    i just wonder what others use to manage their many affiliate links. i'm just starting with a niche site and feel as though a CMS might be a bit more robust for that site, but with the products site...i just have to wonder.
    does everyone develop their own "CMS" for those kinds of sites? Did I miss out on affiliate marketing 101? ... as my friend says, "oy vey"...!

I built my own CMS. Custom is definitely the way to go if you've got the resources.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

hello cckid mail me on opportunityis@gmail.com i can help you i have done quite a few sites like that for my clients.

what does your CMS do? I guess my problem is that I don't have anything to base mine off of, so it's a shot in the dark.
    Mine is very plain and I really wouldn't call it a CMS but rather a link entry system. Can you show me what yours includes and does? I have the skill/resources, but not the knowledge of what it should be.
    As a reference, my entry system looks like this .
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cckid
    what does your CMS do? I guess my problem is that I don't have anything to base mine off of, so it's a shot in the dark.
    Mine is very plain and I really wouldn't call it a CMS but rather a link entry system. Can you show me what yours includes and does? I have the skill/resources, but not the knowledge of what it should be.
    As a reference, my entry system looks like this .
    Thanks!
    You're not going to find anybody around here who will show you their system so you can copy it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I wasn't asking someone to show me theirs so that I can copy it - sorry if you understood it that way. I am just interested in bettering myself as a webmaster and programmer and I think it would be a terribly painful (if not impossible) to do this if I'm starting off in the wrong track. That's why I started this post - to get an idea of what the right track should sound like so that I can recognize it when I'm near it.
    -cckid

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    You're not going to find anybody around here who will show you their system so you can copy it.

- Scott

Just my 2 cents worth:

If anyone's interested in working with a little-known but growing CMS, google the "Website Baker" CMS. It's a fascinating little system that I actually found pretty intuitive (unlike Joomla and most of the others).

I mention Website Baker because I fiddled around with it, put up a sort of demo on a new domain I had, plugged in a GoldenCAN multiple merchant, then actually failed to get back to it.

I mean, I really hadn't even taken out the "footer goes here" sort of information in one of the sample templates.

But the week after I put up the site and had abandoned it, my stats started showing people -- only one or two a week -- were going there and I even had a couple of Adsense clicks.

I only said all that to say this: It might be something useful for quickie sites and seems to get a trickle of traffic with no work at all.

Wonder what would happen if I actually put something serious up with it??
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks for the tip! I'm checking out the 'baker tonight and will fiddle with it this weekend!

You mentioned you use WordPress and that you are also looking to better yourself as a programmer.

Why not make WP do what you want it to do? It's actually super easy with just a little bit of code modification.

From what I understand, you have links and groups of links and you want to categorize those and make them searchable? Check out category templates: http://codex.wordpress.org/Category_Templates or more info on working with templates: http://codex.wordpress.org/Stepping_Into_Templates You'll also need to throw in a little bit of Custom Fields.

i have used WP as a links database by using those very techniques. check out mathshortcut dot com to get an idea of what i am talking about.

I am a big proponent of using WP to accomplish small to medium sized sites because with core WP and all the plugins available for it, you can really build a powerful website. Also, it's pretty lightweight and easy to use, as you know.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Can anyone point out a site built with Word Press that does not look like a blog?

We are playing with it now as we brainstorm a site that will have around 1500 pages all dynamically built from databases.

I have heard from lots of folks how much they like WP but all the sites seem to look like blogs and not shopping or consumer websites. Would love to see what some people have done with it without know how or anything I wouldn't see if I did not stumble across the site.

Word press has an option of whether you want the main page of your site to be a static page or a blog page. So when you ask for an example of a site that does not look like a blog, do you just mean a page that has static front page content?

Or do you mean a site that does not use one of thecommon blog templates?

Here is a site with a static front page and a top menu bar that lets you access the blog. It is done with WP by a friend of mine (no affiliate links here!)

http://www.padgett.biz/

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread