Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going RVing! Help on where to go please...

Outsourced Program Manager
    Going RVing! Help on where to go please...
    Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving on an RV trip starting on Sunday, June 17 2007. If you need me, please email me but know that my replies may be delayed.

Now, for the interesting part. I have no idea where I'm going. I figure I'm going to just go up the East Coast, but only know where our first stop will be in St. Augustine.

Any recommendations? Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, and New York are all in play. Other suggestions still welcome.

It's going to be 2 adults, a 12 year old and a 6 year old. Swimming, Beaches, Historic Locations, Scenic Routes are desired.

Anybody done this before? Tips? Tricks?

Thanks!

-Mike

Watch the movie RV before you go.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    Take the state highway instead of I-95. It is slower, but it is much more scenic and depending on what you are driving the Interstate can be a challenge. On mine, when I am in the right lane and an 18-wheeler blows past me, his initial wind pushes me right, then when he completes the pass the tendancy is to get sucked in behind him. It is easily handled, just takes a little practice. When you drive a motorhome, just as when you drive an 18-Wheeler, people will always pass you only to jump in front of you and slam on their brakes to take the exit. Be ready for that.

Keep lots of room in front of you. It won't stop like your car will.

As for where to go, the Raliegh area is nice. The Smoky Mountains are beautiful and stay out of Alabama...lol, although there are some great historical sites there. Atlanta is fun!

Remember that WalMart welcomes overnight RVs unless posted otherwise. Park off to the the side somewhere and you will have security. This is great for just a quick sleep but only if you are self-contained. You will most likely want to stay in parks with things for the kids to do. When we are moving from point a to b, we often crash at Walmart and get up early and leave.

If you go through VA/DC, remember the traffic is horrible 100% of the time.

I joined the Rv.net forum. There is lots of good info there.

What kind of rig is it?

Tax Paying Member
    Very scenic, but slow.....Hwy 17 from St Augustine along the coast to the Chesapeake area. Lots of places to see and lots of history.

This road passes throught Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington.....and then to the real stuff

When you get to New Bern NC,(Blackbeard hung out in these parts, married a local lady) detour over to Morehead City/Beaufort area. Go east from Beaufort, take the ferry over to Cape Hatteras. North to Manteo, Kill Devil Hill. Take a left across the bridge and you will find Hwy 17 again.

North to Norfolk. Continue to Williamsburg and over to Yorktown. North from here to Annapolis and Washington.

This is a short version. There is enough for at least a whole summer.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    No tips to share but have a fun trip, Michael!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Not sure about putting an rv there but downtown Savanahah on the waterfront is a beautiful place. Big weeping willow trees might make it hard on driving the rv, a few miles from Savanahah is Tybee Island which has one of the nicest beaches I have ever seen. I just looked on their site and they have a section on RV http://www.tybeeisland.com/

Virginia beach (taken from my travel site)
    Virginia beach has some of the best beaches in America. Their beaches are one place the kids and you don't want to miss. With a three mile boardwalk and so much to do your whole vacation might be spent here.
    Hershey, Pennsylvania: This place will be an appropriate choice if you are a chocolate lover. The chocolate capital of US is famous Hersheyís Chocolate world where you can have the wonderful experience of knowing A to Z of chocolate production. Do not forget to visit the amusement park and garden called Hershey Park. Go to see the grand stalactite formation at Indian Echo Caverns.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    You need to get a copy of Frommers guide, they have every spot.

Try around St Mary's GA, I think there a boat you can take to Jeckle Island, this is a very private the horses are running it's on my list of spots to do.
    This is where the Kennedy's were married, I saw a clip on the travel channel, WOW!!!

The best spot going north is Edesdo (sp) Beach on the ocean a state park.

What kind of rig do you have.

One other idea is go to rv.net, and ask them folks, you will get 100 ideas quick.

I'm headed to GA next week then onto the Keys after the 4th, why am I going where it's hot as hell???
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Michael,

Lol, I've seen it twice.

----------------

Scott,

Thanks for the driving tips! It's a 28 footer, I wanted a smaller one for my first trip. What is the "state highway"? A1A? I mentioned your smokey mountains suggestion to Lisette and she's all over it.

----------------

Witzer,

Thanks! We're starting in St. Augustine so this is perfect. Will this route take us through the Smokey Mountains?

----------------

Rexanne,

Thanks, we will .

----------------

Thanks Vinny. Tybee Island looks nice, and it should be a fun stop. We really liked the idea of the Caverns. I'm not sure if we'll make it that far north, but it will be a definite stop if we do.

----------------

Bob,

Frommers, lol, I should have thought of that. We kept saying we should pick up a book, but Frommers never came to mind, Thanks. Have fun at the Keys!

-Mike

Michael - have a great trip! The Smoky Mountain area is one of our favorites. We discovered the Pidgeon Forge area by accident - it's on the TN side. This time of year the traffic into town will be gridlock, but if you can stop near Knoxville and study the back roads into town or into Gatlinburg, there are plenty of family oriented campgrounds.

Gatlinburg has a some elevation, so actually going up into the park might not be an option. The town of Pidgeon Forge is sort of like Branson - continuous tourist strip with hotels, campgrounds, go-carts, teeshirts, icecream, etc. Plenty of food and music stops. Some campgrounds provide a shuttle into town and then there's a trolley.

The North Carolina side of the Smokeys would be more peaceful, altho I'm sure there's plenty of tourist traffic this time of year. Still, with a magazine or tourist guide, you could hook up with plenty of good history lessons presented near a craft mall or fudge shop.

Family travel advice: Dad shouldn't be the only one who decides when you stop for a break or when you start out in the morning. Divide up the responsibilities (ice, sandwiches, picking a town, choosing lunchtime, etc.) and put one of the kids in charge of keeping track who's turn it is. And always have the camera loaded and handy. The best shots are usually somewhere other than where you planned.

Hey Michael I just found a cool video on tybee and downtown Savanahah. Kids can go up in a light house. its 5 minutes long but worth it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZVcaqCgZD4
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Internet Cowboy
    I forget the highway Michael. Is it 17? Look on the map and you will see a smaller highway that runs along with I-95. It is the same through most states up to NC and further I am sure. It will take you away from 95 at points but it will basically stay with I-95. It is just an alt. to the interstate.
    I actually never drove my RV on this road, but we were coming back from NC once and there was a wreck every 10 miles it seemed, so we got off in SC and followed it down to the FL border. It was a very nice drive. And yes, Savanah is a nice town too.
    You'll have a blast.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Have a great time Michael and keep it between the lines!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    On to NY... you going up through VA / DC or taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to the DelMarVa pennisula?

Either way is great - former has old town williamsburg, nearby busch gardens (http://www.buschgardens.com/BGW/) and the smithsonian in DC... latter has the wild horses of assateague and chincoteague islands and some marvelous coastal small towns very worth exploring, plus it's an easier and shorter drive to eastern parts of NY.

So after you come up through Norfolk, are you...

taking the short Hampton Road Bridge Tunnel to Newport News / Hampton VA and continuing inland towards Williamsburg and DC...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampton..._Bridge-Tunnel

or are you taking the much longer Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel continuing along the Atlantic coast to the DelMarVa pennisula?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesape..._Bridge-Tunnel

Not sure how far north you may end up, but you should check out Hershey, Pennsylvania. You get free Chocolate at the factory!! Plus tooooooooons of stuff to do. The 12 and 6 year old will loooooooooove it, the chocolate, the amusement park, and tons tons more. Check it out!

http://www.hersheypa.com/

and it has ..

Antique Auto Museum (In Association with the Smithsonian Institution)
    http://www.aacamuseum.org/

The Appalachian Trail in PA or any of the other Northern States around there. My folks just got back from New Jersey for my cousins wedding and went on it for the Second time and loved it! Goes from Maine to Georgia ...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...nnsylvania.htm

Have a blast!!!!!
    KK

I didn't think you were thinking about the Smokies, I stayed at Elkmont, backed up to roaring stream, really nice area. A stones throw to town.

Heading north from there the Blue Ridge Pkwy is tempting but if your tow V isn't upto pulling steep hills don't do it.

In some places the shoulders on the road are 12" then straight down.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Thanks Judy, I think we'll hit the "peacefull side". I've been to gatlinburg. I'm pretty laid back on the breaks, wake up times and destinations. Actually, I wish I was getting more input.

-------------

Thanks for the video Vin.

-------------

Cool, thanks Scoot. 95 goes through Savannah, We'll check that out.

-------------

Thanks Alan! If we like RVing, next we are going to fly to Denver and RV to the Grand Canyon.

-------------

Donuts, not sure. Busch Gardens doesn't sound appealing, but Old Town Williamsburg does. I think we'll take the longer Chesapeke Tunnel.

-------------

Thanks Kristin. I REALLY like the sound of Hershey, I'm just not sure if we'll make it that far.

-------------

Lisette really wants to see a cave ever since I mentioned it, anyone know of some closer to the South East?

Ok, here's the plan so far (for those of you who are interested). We've decided to stick to the south, otherwise we'll have to rush through everything. We'll eventually get the other parts, and all the suggestions of Hershey have made me really want to go there eventually.

Tomorrow, we're going to drive straight through to Charleston, SC stopping in St. Augustine for Lunch and Savannah for Dinner and stay here: http://www.ccprc.com/index.asp. There seems to be plenty to do in Charleston, so we'll stay tomorrow night and maybe even Monday night.

Monday night or Tuesday morning we're going to make our way over to Charlotte to eat lunch, and then on to Tennesee to see the Smoky Mountains and the Caves below them. I found this place online, but am open to any suggestions: http://www.forbiddencavern.com/.

After the caves, we're going to pack it up and head down to Hiawassee, GA to stay Tuesday Night and Wednesday day at the Enota Mountain Retreat. They have beautiful waterfalls, in ground trampolines, and what seems like some beautiful trails.

Wednesday night or Thursday morning we'll start heading back down towards florida, stopping in Atlanta for the Coca Cola Factory Tour, and stay in the pan handle, probably here at St. Joseph's. We'll stay there Thursday night, then head back down and stay at Ft. De Soto on Friday night, before heading back to Orlando on Saturday.

Ok, now that we have our route, anyone want to suggest things to see? Lol.

See the whole route here

Ok, at Hiawassee, GA, there are great RV state parks also we stayed right on Lake Hiawassee, at the state fairgrounds park, very nice.

Heading to the panhandle you have to lookup Topsail state park, on the ocean, fantastic perhaps one of the top 10 in the USA.

Ft. De Soto, havenít been there myself but heard many good reports itís a quite retreat Iím told.

----

I'll be in Perry GA, next week with about 1200 other Airstreams at a rally.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Cool, a rally for what?

Ok about 5 blocks from the Coke thing in Atlanta is the Georgia aquarium. It is on the north side of centenial park. http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/ its very close to the highway.

The coke thing is located in/near underground Atlanta in the five points section. Its really cool as the whole mall (if you can call it that) is under the street and you wouldnt know it was there unless someone told you.

I see you are not sure if you are going to do this during the day or at night. I would go during the day. The place at night reminds me of the Bronx in the late 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nunez
    Cool, a rally for what?
    Thru out the year groups of Airstream owners form a together or rally, it cam be 30-40 owners to a few hundred depending on the event.

I went to one in February there was about 550 Airstreams in Sarasota, one in PA a few weeks ago had 135. this one coming up will be the big one with 1200+ attending from all over the states and Canada. Some folks travel from all parts of the globe to be at this International event.

Years ago in the Ď50ís and Ď60ís Iím told there would be as many as 7,000 attending these events, but that was a different world.

Organized Airstream trailer Gatherings ("Rally") are the core of what the Vintage Airstream Club and the Wally Byam Club International are all about. The rally concept is an early one from the vintage era of the 1950's -a chance to use what Wally Byam intended his Airstream trailers to do - hit the road, travel and explore our country, sharing discoveries and great places with other fellow Airstreamers.

Next year thereís a caravan Rally from South Africa to Cairo.

So Airstreams have the largest organized RV club in the world, there are about 60,000 on the road, and a few thousand being built every year.

At the rallys they have many choices from seminars; travel, maintenance, restoration, local tours.

What ever your interest is thereís plenty to do, or do nothing hang out.

Most folks break down in their own age bracket to some degree, we have great happy hours, barbecues, canoeing whatever.

There are also local chapters throughout the US.

History of the club

The new ones

Bob Pets Warehouse

Michael right outside Atlanta is Stone mountain. Think a confederate mount rushmore. They have a train that goes around the thing and up the mountain. I did the train around the mountain. Really cool stuff, they have firewerks shows and stuff for kids.

http and a telephoto
    Glad I can work from anywhere, I see some places I now need to visit Thanks guys.... (I think!)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Debbie, you're correct, my wife and I are just starting to discover the USA.

I only started this hobby this year but we are enjoying traveling here at home more than we did overseas.

RV'ing is a great hobby, for some it's a way of life working from a laptop or for others when they retire.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast