View Poll Results: Webinars, Do you love them, hate them or not care!

24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love them, bring 'em on!

5 20.83%
  • I hate them, big waste of time

10 41.67%
  • I like them when there are a variety of merchants involved

0 0%
  • I like a focused presentation of one merchant

1 4.17%
  • I like open webinars where I can ask direct questions

2 8.33%
  • I like moderated webinars where everyone asks question in a chat

0 0%
  • What's a webinar?

6 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    http and a telephoto
    Webinars - Love them, Hate them, or Don't Care?
    Webinars, I love them. I like being able to communicate live with a group of affiliates or potential affiliates and show them how to utilize a merchant. But do affiliates like them? Do you promote a merchant more after you attend one? Is it a waste of everyone's time?
    Deborah Carney

Washington D.C. Metro Area
    Great poll, loxly!!

I see one "What's a webinar?" vote.

Webopedia defines it as a "Short for Web-based seminar, a presentation, lecture, workshop or seminar that is transmitted over the Web. A key feature of a Webinar is its interactive elements -- the ability to give, receive and discuss information. Contrast with Webcast, in which the data transmission is one way and does not allow interaction between the presenter and the audience."

I am hooked on the free IQ ones. Very informative stuff that I will use.

Off the subject a bit I despise teleseminars especially when you get a bill on your phone for $5 for a free seminar. I can honestly say I will never attend another one ever again
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Fort Wayne, IN

Don't be discouraged by the "hate 'em" votes. The good news is they won't participate.

We have done a few for various reasons in different departments and the results have ranged from decent to unbelievable.

For the little time they take to set-up (2-3 hours with PowerPoint) and low cost, even the decent ones were WELL worth it!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Love em, love em, love em, love em. I try to listen to as many of em as I possibly can. Posted about him once somewhere here before after I checked to make sure it was ok but can't remember now what they're called and kinda in a hurry. Think his name is John Marshall maybe? He actually has a stats product but there's no pushing the product or anything. (It's mentioned but there's no requirement to buy it or anything ) and he has guests, also. He's done several on seo and learning how to read your stats, etc. Nice thing is I can work while having another window with him on it. I listen (don't have to call in, listen to it right on the computer) to him and I can also see his presentation. He's been very helpful.

I listen to podcasts all the time while working, too. Ok, granted I'm extremely booooring lol There's so much to learn and I love being able to try to learn it. Wish I did a better job at learning it, but after a while I do. lol So, yeap....definitely love em.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I said "Hate 'em" but that's because it was the only negative option. The term 'hate' is a bit stronger than my actual opinion, although I can't see myself attending one.

I've never attended one and don't intend to because:

1) They're usually scheduled for times I'm not awake
    1b) Even if I am awake at the time, I usually forget all about the thing being on anyway
    1c) They're scheduled, period. That's a no-sale. I do things whenever, and if you're not a doctor or dentist the chance of getting me to be at any scheduled event is approximately nil.

2) Regular physical seminars are usually boring...and a webinar just sounds like it'd be Dullness 2.0.

3) Regular free seminars are also nothing but long ads in disguise--even if they have a bit of useful info, it's just to entice people to buy/do something, and I expect the same of webinars. While I don't mind regular 30-second TV ads (in fact I like many of them)...I DON'T want to spend 1/2 hour or more (sometimes much more) on an ad.

4) The last thing I want to do is spend time listening to an extended merchant pitch, in particular. OMG that'd be so dull! Remember that unlike some AMs, affiliates aren't paid for pretending to be as excited as the owner. We dumped that type of charade upon leaving empl*yment. Of course, to the owner, The Business is the most exciting thing on planet Earth! But to everyone else...zzzzzz! They're one more set of links to put up, and a "webinar" of hype isn't going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxly
    show them how to utilize a merchant.
    Which brings me to Reason #5.

5) Most of these -inars are aimed at newbs, and either just tell obvious common-sense "secrets," or stuff that a newb would find out themselves in fairly short order anyway (at least, they will realize it if they bother to fire a few neurons).

After physical seminars they would try to sell the book to get at the more advanced info. Chances are, you're going to say "join Merchant X's program and we'll be glad to give detailed help..."

http and a telephoto
    Interesting mix of answers. The webinars I am asking specifically about are the ones that merchants have been presenting, but knowing which ones are informative is very helpful. And knowing that having them aimed at specific skill levels is helpful, as is knowing that they would need to be promoted as NOT being sales pitches, but being real information and discussion with the affiliate manager and merchant(s).

Lots of food for thought. Additional ideas and impressions welcome!!!
    Deborah Carney

Orlando, Florida
    Webinars or just conference meetings like GoToMeeting are a great tool for affiliate managers. I will often have a group of affiliates asking the same questions so I will host a GoTo Meeting where it's a small group (5 or 6) and I'll go through a tour of OneSource with details about the affiliate program and leave plenty of room for questions before during and after. I find affiliates will then feed off the questions and get I get some great questions rolling from it. It gives me away as a merchant to interact to give a personal touch to our product and get to know more affiliates. I of course give individual tours as well. so yes!!!! I love webinars too, but I like the ones where you can get/give direct questions and are smaller in size.

Port Hueneme, CA
    I missed this last week, just so ya know! I LOVE EM!
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread