2 2.08%
  • Apple

17 17.71%
  • Other (Specify)

24 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    What Brand Desktop Do You Own
    Emphasis on desktop, not laptop. I have a Toshiba laptop that works fine. I've had emachines in the past but my current one is jacked up so I want to buy a new desktop in the next few days, time for an upgrade anyway. I pretty much know what configuration I want, just wondering what brand you guys have. And if you like that brand. And I don't want to build one piece by piece

Emachines have worked fine for me but they have a limit to how powerful that can get.

My new one I want

at least 250 G hard drive, don't need much, my current is only 40
    Dual core, I heard is good
    2G ram since new computers have Vista

Not sure what else. Right now I'm looking at Dell, HP and Gateway.

Cool
    whitebox -- evolves (kinda) as new stuff shows up.

http and a telephoto
    I love my 3 year old HP desktop and am lookiing at adding a new upgraded one. Was at Circuit City yesterday looking at them. I have a great monitor, so just need a new box. I would still keep using this one, but want one with more space and power. It buy another desktop or add a couple more external drives, and the cost is competitive for either Might as well add more memory and dual processing
    Last edited by loxly; June 16th, 2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: realized computer is older than i thought!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    BTW, my son had Dells and one he toasted the power supply and hard drives on, the other is also 3 years old and a still a workhorse. My daughter is using it now.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    My parents have had Gateways and never a problem.

I'm looking at HPs at Circuit City now as you just posted about it and it looks like they have great deals-

HP Pavilion Desktop PC (A6130N)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
    400GB hard drive
    LightScribe-enabled 3GB of DDR2 memory
    Burns DVDs and CDs
    Windows Vista Home Premium

$729.99

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

I don't own a desktop, only a laptop for me

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    If you use a $350 off $999 Dell Coupon Code (available on many coupon sites), you can get a great dimension for $649 and up (999 - 350).

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    HP that is FAAAAST!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    HP that is FAAAAST!
    Are you talking about the one I linked too or one you have? I know I want dual processing and at least 2 GB ram for the new Vista. When asking about Vista when it first came out, Mike from Hardware geeks said at least 1.5GB ram and AMD dual core or Intel Core 2 Duo dual core.

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    If you use a $350 off $999 Dell Coupon Code (available on many coupon sites), you can get a great dimension for $649 and up (999 - 350).
    I've seen that coupon. Was checking out the Dimension E521 which seems to be the major seller/one that's getting reviewed. It looks great but what's holding me back is wondering if the myway search bar is still being bundled with it and sometimes I've read of power supply issues, something like that. Was just checking if anybody has a Dell and if they have those problems.

I got a frankenslice parts from here parts from there...

Asus board (raid ready)
    WD Sata HD

ABW Ambassador
    I have heard good things about Dell Dimension E521 from a friend who got it recently. I think all Dells are shipped with Dell branded Google home page in IE (which can be changed easily) but not sure about the myway search bar ..

With $350 coupon, it is hard to find a better deal elsewhere. My friend got 22" Flat Monitor + Dell Dimension (not sure if it is E520 or E521 or someother model) with AMD Athlon Dual Core + 2 GB ram + 250 GB disk + Vista Premium and other whistles like dual drives etc. for $649 (999 - 350).

Good luck with your selection.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I have a home made desktop. Smoking Fast AMD x2 3800 overclocked to 4500ish, way over kill for most work but it nevers bogs.

I never have bought a manufacturers desktop, only laptops.

O wait I did have a Commodore 64 when I was a kid, but that doesnt count, does it?

But making them is not cheaper really anymore, I just like controlling what is in my computer, hardware and software.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Mine's a VPR Matrix; it's 6 or 7 years old. That was BestBuy's own brand. But I don't know if they make them anymore. What set it apart from other "off-brand" machines was the power. It had what was, at the time, a lot of power! And cheap, compared to comparable machines. (But quite expensive compared to an eMachines, of course!)

I love mine, and it handled lots of gaming as well as general all-night usage before any major problems. Most issues were plain wear-and-tear on moving parts caused by games: Both CD/DVD drives eventually failed, also it's gone through 2 CPU fans. And a failed graphics card fan killed the original card. (Games often make the fans run faster = more wear/faster fan death). The power supply that died wasn't the OEM part, so I can't fault the computer brand for that.

BUT! I've read that there were basically 2 levels of quality that have been sold as "VPR Matrix." There were the original ones--mine's one of them--that were high quality.

Then BestBuy realized they weren't making any money by selling (what was then) high-end computers for cheap (half the price of a Dell, and with more power)--and started producing total junk, sold under the same "VPR Matrix" name. The junk versions are reputedly very prone to breakdown, less powerful, etc. etc.

So based on that, IF they're still making them at all, I'd say to stay away from the brand now.

The other computers in the house are eMachines.

As for my next computer, I intend to build my own. After all the part-replacing I've done on this one, I can't see dealing with some of the issues that come with predone ones. They all have some kind of quirk to 'em. This one's quirk is its odd-sized CPU fan, which hardly anybody makes anymore. I've read stories of other brands that are far worse. For instance, I've read that Dell computers only recognize official (and expensive) Dell replacement parts! No way would I ever buy a Dell, for that reason!

If I build my own, it won't have any such quirks, and as a bonus, I won't have to uninstall a bunch of crapware.

Also I won't house it in a case that weighs at least 30 lbs! This comp weighs 50 lbs, according to the UPS label on the box when it came. And after looking inside? There's 15 or 20lbs of computer parts, tops. So the rest of the weight has got to be the darned steel case it's in. I don't need or want that! It's not like I'm going to use it as a football!!!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I just bought a Dell Dimension E520 at a local Computer Show (= special price):

- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6420
    - x16 Radeon X1399 Pro w/TV-out
    - 20" wide screen monitor
    - 320 GB HD
    - 1 GB 667 MHz SDRAM
    - Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced
    - 16x DVD R/W with dual layer write capabilities

So far I like it, with two exceptions:
    - the 'premium' keyboard comes with 2 USB hubs, a feature I found very useful. Turns out the hubs don't get enough power to even put a thumb drive into it, which is pretty dull.
    - I choose the Vista version (could have got the XP version for the same price, which I should have done). Vista didn't recognize half my external hardware, and I had to do the run-around to get new drivers for my router, scanner and printer. It looks pretty but is (with the 1GB RAM) incredibly slow. I should have gone with the Windows XP version, not as pretty but much more efficient...

I don't have the myway search bar or any other funny things (except the Dell specific stuff) installed, but then again mine is not a US version.

The box is quiet, no sound from the fans or drives. I don't have any power issues, even with 2 external HDs and my USB-powered scanner plugged in.

If you consider Dell don't get the premium keyboard (rather get an aftermarket one), and think hard if you really want Vista. Of course you can load in 2GB of RAM, it may work better then.

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Was checking out the Dimension E521 which seems to be the major seller/one that's getting reviewed. It looks great but what's holding me back is wondering if the myway search bar is still being bundled with it and sometimes I've read of power supply issues, something like that. Was just checking if anybody has a Dell and if they have those problems.
    I've been using an E521 as my primary pc since the beginning of the year and its been rock solid.

No issue with the power supply but the os/installed software (as it has always been with Dell) is a pain. Although it's not generally practical, I've always reinstalled the os to get around this.

On the other hand, David Ulevitch had recently worked out an elegant solution for the Dell/Google part of this, with more technical discussions here.

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

We have three active desktops, but mainly use laptops, all Dell. I like to use a KVM switch to dock with all the desktops so everything is current on my laptop, yet I have the convenience of the destop keyboard and mouse.

I've always had the repair contact with Dell where they come to me and the service has been excellent the few times I have had to call them over the last 10 years. Down time is something I can't afford and the Dell tech's that have come out have gone above and beyond what they needed to do.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the responses.

"With $350 coupon, it is hard to find a better deal elsewhere. My friend got 22" Flat Monitor + Dell Dimension (not sure if it is E520 or E521 or someother model) with AMD Athlon Dual Core + 2 GB ram + 250 GB disk + Vista Premium and other whistles like dual drives etc. for $649 (999 - 350)."

Last night I was going thru the customizations on the main Dell, HP and Gateway sites and with that $350 coupon, you can get a lot like you said, wasn't even close.

"If you consider Dell don't get the premium keyboard (rather get an aftermarket one), and think hard if you really want Vista. Of course you can load in 2GB of RAM, it may work better then."

I have a great keyboard right now so that part won't be an issue. With Vista, I would get minimum 2GB. You could probably run Basic with less than that but with Premium and using Aero you need more memory to run smoothly. So any system I get would be at least 2GB.

And then reading about Vista compatability issues and I know there are some here and there, I also asked my forum about it and it made me feel better about it, some responses/paraphrased:

Had it 4 months, and no trouble so far. At first, some online plugins had trouble working with the new version of Internet Explorer, but have caught up. Updating process is a lot more streamlined on the Vista computer and enjoying the faster processing speed of the new computer.

Someone else had Vista Basic and said McAfee was slowing it down and switched to AVG and it's good. AVG is what I use now, don't like McAfee so that's good.

Another - I bought a new desktop about a month ago and am loving Vista. Some bugs but they seem to be getting them worked out pretty quickly.

And they're all loving the dual processing on their new computers. And so far in the votes, Dell and HP seem to be the favorites which would go along with them being 1/2 as far as sales. Think HP took over as #1 recently, think I remember reading that.

Thanks again for all the replies, will go over it some more today while I'm wide awake and not having computer issues.

Am a bit late here, too. Think mine must be similar to what LearnAbout said, except I got the basic keyboard and the cheapest speakers. I didn't get vista, have the xp and read through this quickly but no strange toolbar on it. Do have the thingie for the dual whatever that was mentioned and I've always got at least 3 different browsers open with 6 or 7 tabs on mozilla and ie both and constantly jumping back and forth between windows so that part works great Will have to tell ya a bit later about any fan noise. Personally I'm liking that feature cos I'm down in a basement with no air cond. and gets really hot in the summer, so am hoping their fan helps the computer with that. If I put my ear next to it I hear it, but it's not loud.

Trust - Get a video card that will take 2 monitors while you are at it. You won't be sorry.

Bad timing for Trust I 'm sure, but I always do my computer upgrades in December as Dell seem sot offer discounts on every model, not just a few like they do during the rest of the year. Just something for everyone considering a Dell in the future to consider.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have to get it right now, I was kind of freaking out yesterday with my computer problems but it is time for a new one anyway. As far as Dell later in the year, good to know. But right now with that coupon, I don't think they'll have one bigger than the $350 off $999. Just tried one configuration:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
    Dual Drives: 16X DVD ROM Drive and 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
    Integrated Sound BlasterAudigy HD Software Edition
    Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
    13 in 1 Media Card Reader
    56K PCI Data Fax Modem

For $654 total. I can't find a configuration that would beat that from the others.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TLE
    I've been using an E521 as my primary pc since the beginning of the year and its been rock solid.

No issue with the power supply but the os/installed software (as it has always been with Dell) is a pain. Although it's not generally practical, I've always reinstalled the os to get around this.

On the other hand, David Ulevitch had recently worked out an elegant solution for the Dell/Google part of this, with more technical discussions here.

Tuan
    I was just watching a video on all the "bloatware" that comes with computers:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/video/whi...ted-269425.php

From the link you posted, I was checking out:

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/howitworks

I wonder if something as simple as that will take of it?

Just watching that video again and it looks like Gateway does the same thing as Dell.

All laptop for me too!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

If you can't wait for the Decemeber, this ain't a bad time to buy computer either. It's the end of 2nd fiscal quarter where they are in a rush to make the earning revenue numbers for shareholders.

I love building my own desktops. You can usually buy more PC from Dell than you could build yourself for the same money, but I guess I do it more out of fun than practicallity.

Regardless, I highly recomend buying Windows separately. Get an OEM version or buy straight from Microsoft. Those pre-installed HP/Dell versions of Windows are usually pooched up and loaded with memory resident tools you don't want or need.

I do a rolling upgrade currently:
    Asus P4PE800X Mobo
    P4 3.2 GHz
    1 GB Ram (I think PC3200?)
    160 GB Seagate HDD w/15 GB Maxtor slave (from an old Compaq that s*** the bed)

I'd also recomend trying to find a case with a top vent and getting an aftermarket heatsink, it'll stay much cooler.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast