laptop back from computer store
    I have an old windows 98 machine that I use when I travel. I sent it into the puter shop for a reinstall because I didnt feel like doing it and wasting my time.

I get the thing back like new BUT in the favorites is websites that they had to put in their favorite site which redirects to upromise with an obvious affiliate number. Lovely huh

Looks like I am gonna have fun deleting stuff off this thing today - He isn't gonna have a good day when I see him. I am sure this practice has to be illegal
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Prolly not illegal, but definitely unethical.

BTW, out of curiousity, how much did you have to pay them to reinstall Windows?

Michael

$75 - So far I am finding a bunch of weird stuff Most I can't explain here
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    IMHO they need to re-do the job with a clean re-install this time, without the junk.

Was the person an employee or the owner?

Prolly not illegal, but definitely unethical.
    And certainly sleazy!
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

well like they say what comes around goes around. I dont know if the owner did it or not it could have been an employee. Its been so long since I have messed with win98 I have to retrain myself. I dont want to give any more info right now

ABW Ambassador
    So you ask them to install a specific program, and they also install junk to make money from!

Of course it is illegal. You just don't throw stuff on someone's property to make money without asking permission.

Any computer consultant that threw that crap on my computer would be told to take it off, never be used again, and be reported to the Better Business Bureau etc. They'd also be a topic of conversation at my chamber meetings.

you can buy new OEM disks w/key for that price. I just found that out Friday when an old desktop in the workshop gave me trouble and system restore removed the Windows 98SE so I could find out that my backup disk was corrupted..gaaaaah.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread