View Poll Results: Which networks have good tools to search for categories?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • AffiliateFuture

1 6.67%
  • AvantLink

3 20.00%
  • Commission Junction

11 73.33%
  • LinkShare

1 6.67%
  • Performics

1 6.67%
  • Shareasale

5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Which network has the best merchant category search features?
    This poll is a little research I'm doing to see what affiliates feel is the best networks out there for finding merchants by category. For example, let's say you want to find all merchants related to anything Automotive, how would you rate the various networks in the way they have it set up for affiliates to find them?

You can vote on more than one if you feel they equally provide good searching.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

In this poll, I think CJ wins hands down
    The "Search Products" mechanism (visible at the top of the "Advertiser Categories" page) really assists the category angle at CJ because the affiliate thinks in terms of narrower categories for each page of a site. As an affiliate I will often become aware of affiliate merchants I had not thought of when I type in a keyword of interest into the "Search Products" mechanism.

Shareasale's "make-a-page" feature used to cut across all related affiliate merchants and wasn't restricted to just one. I learned about merchants I would not have considered otherwise. It's too bad that each "make-a-page" session is now related to just one merchant at a time.

Just one extra function can enhance a page of categories, otherwise they all include broad categories like "Accessories."
    Such a feature could be important if affiliate merchants represent businesses whose names are not well known.
    Linkshare just groups the affiliate merchants under broad categories without any "Search Products" mechanism but at least many of Linkshare's merchants are name brand merchants most people recognize.

A product link search could enhance any 3rd party affiliate's category page as well.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    CJ - hands down, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Others:
    SAS, loads of them all lumped together in broad categories, it takes forever to go through them and there's mostly no way to to tell without actually visit the sites. Finding what you really want can be an all-day affair. A little topical sub-categorization would go a long way. Example:

Home & Garden
    Bed & Bath, Bridal, Home Appliances, Pets, Kitchen, etc.

Huh? pet stuff and kids crafts and rugs and shower curtains (one of the leakiest in the network, ironic with the topic. Adsense on every page), and phone cards, etc., etc., etc. - all are the same category? This one takes the cake: reddragonswords.com - what in the world are video game swords doing in the same category as dog houses?

LS, comes up with a list with most that are completely irrelevant, it's like many merchants list themselves in unrelated categories just for exposure and branding - which doesn't speak well of their attitude.

PFX - probably the best of their features, since the rest of the interface is so incredibly clunky and hard to use.

CJ = easy and quick to find specific niches and product lines that you need. Some inaccuracies, but it's the minority.
    Last edited by webworker; June 17th, 2007 at 09:17 PM.

I have never searched a network by category - always a keyword.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    SAS, loads of them all lumped together in broad categories, it takes forever to go through them and there's mostly no way to to tell without actually visit the sites. Finding what you really want can be an all-day affair. A little topical sub-categorization would go a long way. Example:

Home & Garden

Huh? pet stuff and kids crafts and rugs and shower curtains This one takes the cake: reddragonswords.com - what in the world are video game swords doing in the same category as dog houses?
    Each subcategory ie: Bed & Bath, Bridal, Home Appliances, Pets, Kitchen, etc. should have it's own category link!

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Each subcategory ie: Bed & Bath, Bridal, Home Appliances, Pets, Kitchen, etc. should have it's own category link!
    In full agreement, but sub-categories would be just fine, with the main sub-cats linked to from the main cat list, underneath and all of them listed in a main category section one hop in.

[Dang, it gets more tempting every day to do something with pets. So much temptation, so litttle time.]

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Cj is the only network that has this feature IMO

All the rest need to get on the bandwagon and adopt it

I don't tend to use the networks themselves to find merchants in this way. If I'm looking for something I will search in Popshops ... it's much easier to do so there and it's across 4 networks too

Sue.

Just bumping this up since for the morning crowd in the US. Thanks for the comments and votes so far. Much as I thought but was wondering how others felt.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread