Are Yahoo stats for their ads delayed or real time?
    Don't have much experience with this stuff at all. So.....experimenting by starting very slowly. I've got clicks at SAS which I think is in realtime (think that's the proper terminology but not sure) but definitely not the same amount of clicks showing at Yahoo. So......I guess I could try to find out looking at google analytics or something with the pages but figure somebody here might know.

Could somebody please tell me if clicks are recorded right away or least pretty soon after they happen in the yahoo account or are they delayed by a day.
    Thank you ahead of time to whichever nice person decides to answer this.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Don't have much experience with this stuff at all. So.....experimenting by starting very slowly. I've got clicks at SAS which I think is in realtime (think that's the proper terminology but not sure) but definitely not the same amount of clicks showing at Yahoo. So......I guess I could try to find out looking at google analytics or something with the pages but figure somebody here might know.

Could somebody please tell me if clicks are recorded right away or least pretty soon after they happen in the yahoo account or are they delayed by a day.
    Thank you ahead of time to whichever nice person decides to answer this.
    Hey Purple,

Clicks at Y are delayed generally from a couple to several hours. I usually do a final verification the next day. Google and MSN are delayed also, so not to worry. You can always find the final numbers the next morning.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thank you very much Alan for answering my question. Was thinking since it was getting clicks but no sales lol (ummm am a real patient one lol What do ya mean there's already been a few clicks and no sales yet? lol Just kidding, I'm not quite that bad, probably not far from it lol but not quite.) maybe that meant the ad just was really bad or I should be targeting the keywords to be even more specific so they didn't get wasted. So, clicks would be close to what SAS has probably, so I will wait til the morning to see which keywords were clicked then try to target them more specifically.

Thank you again very much for answering my question. Really appreciate it..speedy little fella, too.

Back atcha Purp (not to be confused with PERP)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Hey purplebear,

Welcome to PPC!! I knew ya'd break down and try it eventually.

When you look at "Dashboard" and "Campaigns" for Yahoo's PPC, I think the default is to show the last two weeks of click/cost data, up until yesterday. Mine says "6/5/07 to 6/18/07" in small but bright blue font on the right side of the screen, with a tiny little calendar icon next to it. By clicking on this, you can choose the start and end dates for the data you see. Change the "custom date range" dropdown box to Yesterday (or Last 7 days, Month to date, etc) to see how you did in total yesterday (or other dates).

You can find out how you're doing in (almost) real time. Change the start date and end date by hand in this same area by clicking on today's date (6/19) for both. There doesn't seem to be a "Today" in "custom date range"; bummer, but just do it manually. I think today's click data is only delayed 1 or 2 hours max; you can even see that it says "Incomplete data: The data for this report is complete through Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:30:00 AM EDT" for example. This is a 45 min delay in my case, so pretty up to date. Annoyingly, when I log out and log in again, the date range goes back to 6/5/07 to 6/18/07. So you'll probably have to change the dates each time you log in. Google's PPC is much nicer and easier to work with than this, but at least in Yahoo you can now see today's data.

I'd recommend you keep a close eye on things, purplebear. PPC costs can be much higher than you expect and quickly mount. Set an Account-wide daily spending limit!! It's nice that Yahoo has this feature, as the other two (Google, MSN) do not have this "shutoff valve" on the account level. They have campaign-specific limits but not account-specific, so you have to make sure your total combined limits across all your campaigns is not more than you can afford each day.

Also, set campaign-specific daily spending limits and if you want certain better-paying campaigns to be getting the larger share of clicks, set their limits higher than other campaigns. Start with low limits for your new campaigns until you've seen how they perform. Sometimes there's a not-very-relevant broad term you have that gets a huge number of clicks and it ends up being a bad/nonconverting keyword, and you don't want to blow your budget on that. With PPC you really have to watch it closely.

Of course the opposite effect happens too; I often have spending limits on each campaign that the clicks never get anywhere close to because I am not willing to bid enough to get high volume. There's so much PPC competition that this happens on most popular keyword terms. Get a feel for how well your PPC clicks are converting, then adjust your bids carefully so that you can keep a profit margin. It's not easy but can be very worthwhile. Hope this helps, purplebear.

If you're really going to dive into PPC whole hog (whole... bear?), check out Google AdWords if you have some cash to burn. But watch out for their landing page quality score updates! They don't automatically make you spend a ton more, but they can effectively halt your Google PPC ads from being shown, no matter how well you were doing. In my experience Google AdWords converts better than Yahoo Sponsored Search and the interface is so much nicer. Also check out MSN adCenter; it does very well conversion-wise but its volume is much lower than Google's and a bit lower than Yahoo's. Ugh, the MSN interface is horrible but once you get used to it it's at least workable.

Good luck!! Donuts will quickly become your best friend if you do PPC. Check out some of the threads in the Google and PPC Search Engines forums in ABW that he contributed to.

I smiled at the comment that purple "would eventually break down and try ppc." It's a versatile tool on several levels.

A few more hints on yahoo also purple.

1. Do not do auto - replenishment on the account until and unless you become comfortable with the clicks, conversions, roi etc. Y uses a moving daily average and it can be tricky at first. They auto charge your card for what they calculate is needed to fund your account for three days in advance based on the moving average, and it can be a real eye - opener to a new user, so keep it on "manual" replenishment until you get more familiar with it.

2. they have been having some system behavior problems the past five months. It does not necessarily affect all advertisers, but it does affect some and there is presently no ryhmm or reason that they have shared with advertisers. I've been speaking with them weekly by phone now for five months and they do indeed confirm that it is an issue they are working on. They said that it is not affecting all ads, but may randomly affect an advertiser in no particular order.

In my converation with them last week, they again confirmed that engineering has identified what they feel is the cause, and that they are working to resolve it. The problem (for those affected) is that there is a strange Y system behavior problem that can stop them from triggering impressions on and advertisers ads. (I emphasize that this is only IF your account is affected by the behavior problem) If you note a sharp drop in impressions and clicks, a temporary fix on this is to tweak bids up or down a penny on keywords, and for some reason it triggers their system. Strange, but true.

Also they sometimes have a quirk on the balance they show on your admin account panel, and what the updated true balance may actually be. To check this, note when you navigate through your account whether the account balance changes notably after you have performed an action on another panel. For instance, you log in and note that under the "admin" page that it says your account balance is $1,013.00. You go into a campaign, adjust a few bids, and then come back to the admin panel and your balance now says $710. If you notice this, don't be alarmed. Indeed the lower amount is your updated true balance at time of viewing but for some reason (which they assure me is being corrected soon) this can happen. What I do presently to verify true balance is go in and adjust a few bids, and then come back to the admin to verify the balance showing.

3.) day parting. Y does not presently offer day parting (the ability to schedule your ads to run at chosen times) nor do they presently offer bid parting (where you can adjust the % of bid you want to apply during certain times of day or night, weekends etc). In most cases I have found, running your ads through the night does little if any good, and generally increases your ppc cost / decreases ROI. Until they have these parting features (which they tell me is coming soon) I go in and manually turn it off at a given hour of the evening, then manually restart in the morning. Kind of a pain in the rear, but it helps ROI.

Alternately, if you know you have good traffic during certain day hours (such as 7 am to 6 pm) and about how many clicks you average during those times, you can set your daily budget somewhat within guestimate range to run out in the evening, but that is a little trickier and can vary. It will be nice when they make the parting features available.

Finally (for now) on the issue of true stats, we use our own internal tracking in addition to Y's stats and have found that your total clicks for the day can be delayed up to 3 - 4 hours. Their system does display current day stats if you manually set the begin and end days at today's date, but it will not be a reliable figure. In our case, we have tracking in house that gives us stats from each source, so I have a true click count etc in real time. Y may show my clicks at 3 pm to be 192 while my in house stats show 238, so if you rely on their stats when you view current day clicks, allow 3 - 4 hours delay. That's why I check mine first thing each morning for "yesterday" as the final figures are then there. They explained to me that manually entering today as the begin and end will give you partial numbers but they will be off a bit.

There are other things to come also, but for now that should be a little more info. I would suggest that you also write Y to keep the pressure on them to bring up the day parting etc features. They did announce it would be added soon, but the more requests they get from advertisers, the better it will motivate them. They tell me that day parting, bid parting is the number one request they have been getting from advertisers, so let's keep it up front as an issue for them.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Oh boy, oh boy lol is my printer gonna be busy. In a hurry right now but gonna come back and print out all that both of you have said
    Hi ya spacedog

spacedog and Alan: thank you, thank you to both of you for taking the time to explain what ya have to me...really, really appreciate it.

Alan - Back atcha Purp (not to be confused with PERP)
    lol

As to purplebear "I knew ya'd break down and try it eventually."
    ummmm kinda right and kinda not. lol Google was nice enough to give me a credit so have used some of it...msn did the same thing (only got a teeny, weeny bit from them left) I'll tell ya....if something weird is gonna happen, it'll happen to me. I actually ended up with somebody else's ad campaign in my account. lol They put a stop to it and finally it got deleted. Not sure what happened to the person's ad that it was.

Yahoo was nice enough to mail me a credit, too. So.....even tho I don't really have a clue as to what I'm doin.....stupid I'm not lol There's no way I was gonna pass up the opportunity if they were paying for it.....so I've kinda been experimenting. I've even become a big spender lol I went from $1 a day to now a $2 a day spending limit. lol Stop laughing at me. lol Just trying to take it very slowly so I can try to learn before I get clobbered and don't have anymore of the credit left.

Will say it again....thank you very much to both of you for taking the time to explain it to me. Very much appreciate it.

oh about the system errors. I made up an ad this morning and went through filling in all the info...got a system error and had to start all over again.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Hi purplebear, glad to see you're having fun experimenting. You're doing it right by starting out with small daily spending limits.

About the system errors, I mostly get those in Yahoo and MSN, while Google is more stable (though even it will sometimes error out). In Yahoo, I don't even try to use Internet Explorer any more. It was just too frustrating having IE crash when I was in the middle of adding campaigns or changing bids. So for Yahoo I always use Firefox 2.0, and it's worked for me very well.

Great that you're using the free credits too. I'm established in all three PPCs so I can't use those any more.

[QUOTE=purplebear - oh about the system errors. I made up an ad this morning and went through filling in all the info...got a system error and had to start all over again. [/QUOTE]

It's called "welcome to yahoo" I agree with space - google is a lot more reliable with very few hiccups. I think in 7 years of ppc with google, I've had less than a handful of Y-type problems. Have fun with it, but figure it'll take you at least a month before you replace Donuts as the resident ppc swami.

Figure I'll just keep adding to this one and if I don't get any takers I'll make a new one.

Umm spacedog said: "glad to see you're having fun experimenting"
    Me: uhhh not. lol Uhhh remember that system error I was tellin ya about....now they've got two of the same ads only they're different names. Still says tho under the alert and some little box with a red somethin on it that it's unfinished...if that were the case why does it say there's 2 ads. rrrrgghh. lol
    Ok, dummy question. It doesn't let me check the one's box so ummm how do I get rid of it?? And here I thought since I had survived Google, this one wouldn't be too bad....not. lol

Alan said: " It's called "welcome to yahoo" [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I agree with space - google is a lot more reliable with very few hiccups."
    Me: Do ya think I could ask Google very nicely if I could trade them my yahoo credit for another Google credit?? lol

Don't think I really ever had a problem with google except for the incident of somedbody else's ad in my account but their support people were very nice. I'm not enjoying myself yet with Yahoo. lol

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread