Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yahoo CEO stepping down.
    Just on the wire: Yahoo says CEO Terry Semel to step down & Jerry Yang to replace him.

Interesting?

ABW Ambassador
    Yang be da MAN

Online Marketing Consultant
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070618/yahoo_semel.html?.v=2 here is the story since noone posted it above.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Semel really held the company back, he was good at the time - but not anymore. His response about acquisitions the other day was a tell tale sign that it was time. I wouldn't be surprised to see some nice pick ups and growth.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

BoYah - Step down before he was fired is probably more like it.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Agree w/ Haiko: "His response about acquisitions the other day was a tell tale sign that it was time."

Interesting that the article (btw Liquidate, thanks for the link to a story -- it was only a newswire headline when I started the thread!) notes that [quote] "Semel assured shareholders attending Yahoo's annual meeting last week that he had the fortitude to lead a comeback." Makes you think CEOs aren't always telling the whole truth...

http and a telephoto
    BoYah is right.... will be watching cNBC in a half hour...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Interesting speculation here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19296384/

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    heard he's retiring to Panama... hahahahaaa.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I was going to post this thread this morning, but I've harped so much on the record reverse speed that Y has been in for the past two years that I just didn't want to beat the horse any more.

I was thrilled to see that Semel is history. I hope Yang will be able to straighten things up and move the company in the right direction, but his problems go far deeper than aligning quality partner networks.

Their advertiser PPC platform (though better than MSN) is still stone age, and they are still having widespread system behavior problems that they have not resolved.

The PPC God's know I am rooting for Y. All who PPC would welcome a competitively priced, effective competitor to G.

If they actually do improve their traffic quality, partner networks, search and content networks, system problems etc, I know they will love the sound of that big bang when their heads pop out of their rear ends! LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    BoYah is right.... will be watching cNBC in a half hour...
    Was just listening, talking about NewCorp or something about MySpace or Facebook and Yahoo. Maybe Yahoo will go after one of those? Said Panama isn't working. Talking about eyeballs now. Need more eyeballs. MySpace, Facebook has eyeballs. It's about the eyeballs Throwing around numbers, 10 billion for MySpace.

play by play courtesy of Trust Inc.

http and a telephoto
    Yahoo and MySpace is the buzz...
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Now they are laughing about Facebook buying Yahoo instead of the other way around. Sounds like everyone agrees that Semel was in the way of a deal of some kind and that Yang is transitional.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, Google is just more agressive and open to taking risks. And it's been working for them. So Yahoo is probably going to do something big soon.

And those Google employees are loving their job. Not too many places where you can work at the bar or in a massage chair and all those endless perks. Well there's affiliate marketing

those people talking have no clue what is going on with the eyeballs comments on tv. I laughed through that whole segment.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Yahoo needs Donuts to take over---donuts looks like a suit and tie guy! And for 7 figures why not!

well, Semel earned 71M, that's 8 figs... suit and tie's gonna cost 'em 9 figs.

they were betting a ton on Panama, shame to see it failing. i still argue that the changes they did make benefit the little guy more than the biggies, but it's clear the changes overall were more like a facelift - the patient has cancer, still does - facelift ain't the answer.

to have thrown that much money, time, hype / press, real talent and brain power at their platform and to have it still perform nowhere near G, shows Semel had to go. the money to be made, or lost, on search, is enormous. shuffling Semel to another seat within Y isn't going to be sufficient to soothe shareholders, his removal as ceo is just the start of change, in my opinion.

i do think they'll actually take a very serious look at syndicating G's ads... short term, that's great for the hoards already humming at G, but long term, we need real competition.

G is so far ahead now... G's obsessing with ad quality and site relevancy... Y's switching their ads from long text to short, like G's had for years.

Y and MS have shown neither can do it alone... together, they'd be a giant clusterfrack. I think Y is a portals and MS is a portal plus an O/S & software company, and they're trying to win the search war, which isn't the primary thing that they do... at least MS has both the browser and O/S aspects to battle as search moves further towards the desktop... Y doesn't have that inherent advantage, so they'll buy traffic share through partnerships but will continue to have mediocre results in their efforts to monetize it, which means they continue to slide...

i think the balance needs something new, or the trends are fairly clear and predictable... G continues to whip Y and MSN in search...

seeing things that upset the balance and change the course of the future, in advance, is just guessing... maybe apple's safari browser (and iphone and mac O/S) brings Apple into search, at first in partnership with G, then later not... maybe MS figures much better ways to leverage their browser, O/S and Office apps into search loyalty (but i doubt it because active x and adware/spyware explosion they caused is real and MS has done nothing to slow it down, makes people sick)...

Y has no browser, desktop influence, O/S - they're a content portal. that won't win you the search war. so, no matter what, I see Y as toast, in the long run. they had the lead with overture years ago and blew it badly. they are just as handicapped and unfocused on how to succeed in the search war today than ever... and their leaders are now in flux... i'm very sure people aren't walking around the halls of their headquarters saying "yahoo" about Semel's change... they're scratching their heads and buying G stock for their retirement funds.

ABW Ambassador
    In fact, one idea that News Corp. has been studying, according to sources, would involve the sale of its MySpace division to Yahoo for a significant stake in the company.

Bankers believe MySpace could be worth as much as $10 billion in such a deal, meaning News Corp. might be able to have as much as a 25% stake in Yahoo. The deal, which again is in its early stages, would also involve Yahoo outsourcing its search to Google, which currently plays that role for MySpace. News Corp. officials declined comment and its unclear whether News Corp has yet to broach the idea with Yahoo.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/19290999

I hope myspace isn't worth $10 billion! I think it's one of the most terrible websites out there, and this is coming from someone who has to use it a lot for marketing and such. It especially lags in the advertising department. Most of the ads are for incentivized traffic, chock full of malware and adware, or dating sites. I don't see how any advertiser can get decent ROI advertising on myspace. It it's eyeballs yahoo wants, I guess myspace is a good way to get them, but I'd rather see them build out in their strengths with their portals, like Donuts mentioned.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

MySpace / News Corp knows the power of G's ads at monetizing visitors... they'd love to sell their company for shares in Yahoo, but know that Yahoo must do better with their ads...

This will create more pressure on Panama.

Once investors realize how much more Yahoo would be worth if they properly served ads, either Panama will get fixed or dumped. Either way, the sooner the better.

News corp is genuis with this... if they get $10B worth of Yahoo ownership, then Y uses G's ads, monetizes their traffic better and starts making a lot more cash... Y stock goes up and News corp gets even more than $10B because their shares in Y grow in value... from this angle, they might be getting $15-17B in future value for their deal.

What do you think about the timing of this announcement? I realize it nears the end of Q2, maybe bracing for another less than stellar 10Q report and trying to offset by showing they have changed management? If they changed their interface and allowed easier utilization for all, they would get much more advertising revenue. I don't think JY will stay long in the role, maybe until they lure some big name to take over the helm.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Interesting follow-up from cnnmoney.com:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/19/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

At the end of the artilcle, there is a reference to criticism from ex-employess that Y has spent too much energy and resources on search marketing to the detriment of the rest of the company.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Y's switching their ads from long text to short, like G's had for years.
    Y's copying all the stuff that only *looks like* it's working at G, but actually sucks badly!

What Y needs is more traffic (preferably buyers...no desire to pay PPC for nonbuyers!), not Googlian BS that should have been dumped in the planning stages, like making the text length so small that advertisers can't get a coherent message out. Yahoo doesn't seem to realize that G doing something doesn't make it good or smart to do, it just shows that G's got enough momentum to override the idiocies that have snuck into their ad system.

I see Y as toast, in the long run.
    That makes me smile; I remember when people thought Y was either invincible or the one to beat, just like a lot of people think G is now.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    It's a start:

Yahoo acquires U.S. sports media site Rivals.com

http://uk.reuters.com/article/techno...1?pageNumber=1

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Never browsed the internet before being CEO?
    An interesting piece of investor news regarding Mr Semel...

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...C4980796F37%7D

I especially enjoyed hearing that before he was hired as CEO he had not browsed the internet or used email before? Yikes..... And I wondered why Y has problems
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast