Instantly Declined by merchant on CJ
    I was hoping to hear from merchants as to why any merchant would set up an auto decline. I just applied to what I thought would be a great fit for a new site I've been working on, the merchant declined me automatically.

Could I get some insight into what criteria merchants use to set auto decline? Is it based on earnings, conversions, site category?

I'm certainly not a CJ performer, yet, but I've got 2 bars and have kept at that level for some time. So, it's not like I don't convert anything. I've added the new site to my site list with an appropriate category for this merchant.

I wouldn't have an issue with being declined if the merchant looked at the site and decided they didn't want to partner with it, but the arbitrary manner has really put me off.

Just for the record, I also applied at some competitors at the same time, 2 auto-approved, 3 awaiting review. While I can appreciate the need to review a site and have no problem with those merchants, guess which ones will be the first I add to this site and get the most attention from me?

Which is exactly the reason I auto-approve and then check out the affiliate's web site. If I have concerns, I'll contact the affiliate to see if things can't be worked out. If not, well, I still have the power to boot affiliates out of my program.

There has been some discussion on ABW about this type of merchant practice. I think the majority of people here would agree with me that this practice makes very little sense.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by knight01

Could I get some insight into what criteria merchants use to set auto decline? Is it based on earnings, conversions, site category
    Could be.. also, location, just not adding new affiliates, previously declined... I haven't found any good way to tell.. Usually if it happens to me, I email them, and they let me in, but never tell me why it was declined at 1st?

Online Marketing Consultant
    you could be declined on location, the type of business you are, if you have an incentive, certain categories might not be accepted into a program and a million more reasons.

If being declined bothers you, you can always write to the merchant and ask them to let you in.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

our products are targetted to us residents only so we manually approve applications from canada, us, and a few other countries.

We auto-declined most of the asia countries as they have high rate for frauds. our licenses can be at risk, which is a big concern for us.

I would suggest emailing the merchants you would like to work with and explain to them why you think your website(s) are good fit their products and services. Be sure to share with the merchants if you offer incentives or not to consumers.

if you do not hear back from them, you probably don't want to work with them.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I was hoping to hear from merchants as to why any merchant would set up an auto decline. I just applied to what I thought would be a great fit for a new site I've been working on, the merchant declined me automatically.

Could I get some insight into what criteria merchants use to set auto decline? Is it based on earnings, conversions, site category?

I'm certainly not a CJ performer, yet, but I've got 2 bars and have kept at that level for some time. So, it's not like I don't convert anything. I've added the new site to my site list with an appropriate category for this merchant.

I wouldn't have an issue with being declined if the merchant looked at the site and decided they didn't want to partner with it, but the arbitrary manner has really put me off.

Just for the record, I also applied at some competitors at the same time, 2 auto-approved, 3 awaiting review. While I can appreciate the need to review a site and have no problem with those merchants, guess which ones will be the first I add to this site and get the most attention from me?

Yes, emailing the merchants usually works. There is a "mail" link just near the "Run Reports". I contacted about 10 of them which auto declined me than 3 of them review the site and accept my application. Other 7 haven't replied yet but who cares. 30% is much better than 0%

Often I get declined just because of location, as I live outside the United States. And I only have sites targeted towards American visitors. Often when I get declined I send the merchant an email asking why. 8 Out of 10 times I don't get a reply. I just hate that.

I do want to mention that some affiliate programs are on auto pilot so your email might not be read by the affiliate managers. If you can get responses from 3 out 10, that is good enough and they are probably the ones you want to work with and build stronger relationships with.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanieyang
    I do want to mention that some affiliate programs are on auto pilot so your email might not be read by the affiliate managers. If you can get responses from 3 out 10, that is good enough and they are probably the ones you want to work with and build stronger relationships with.

Exactly as you said! 3 merchants which replied were the ones which I wanted most. May be it was just my luck.

Anyway, I will not use CJ as an affiliate in a long term because it's not tracking any leads and no one seems to care about this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by matlok
    Often I get declined just because of location, as I live outside the United States. And I only have sites targeted towards American visitors. Often when I get declined I send the merchant an email asking why. 8 Out of 10 times I don't get a reply. I just hate that.
    Instead of asking why, I would just automatically assume that it's because of your non-US location and let them know about your sites and their US audiences when you email them. You'll probably do better that way than your current 20% response rate.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Online Marketing Consultant
    There is also this thread about ways to approach and to try to get into programs that have denied or declined you.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=87594
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread