Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Calling all Mac Users
    My first desktop computer was an Apple but since then I've only owned PCs. Hubby needs a new desktop computer and is lobbying heavily for a Mac. We could really use a Mac because we both do a lot of graphics work for our various home businesses.

So.

Where did you guys buy your Mac desktops and where can I get the best price? I don't want to spend more than $1,000.

Muchos!

ABW Ambassador

Thanks, Adam!

It looks like the iMac is cheapest at $1,199. Is it possible to get a machine cheaper than that? Does anyone sell refurbished Macs?

Mac Mini's are the cheapest macs available.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...sktop/mac_mini

http://www.cdw.com/webcontent/hubs/M...ly/macmini.asp

They are good machines and work well for an average desktop. I wouldn't recommend anything refurbished unless you happen to find an Intel based one refurbed (not likely).

I have had a Mac Mini for a couple of years now (non-intel based), MacBook Pro, and we recently added a Mac Pro to our video editing room. I love 'em!

And yes, I have had a Mac since 1985.

(just not great for gaming)

Internet Cowboy
    I too am going Mac on my next machine. I am eyeballing the Macbook Pro with a few upgrades. That should be a real screamer of a machine.

Keep in mind that with the Mac mini you need to supply your own monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc... If you have all that stuff from your PC days, then you should be fine. They are indeed fast and fun machines, and cheap too. If you don't have all that stuff, then add up the prices, the iMac might be a better bet, even though it is slightly more than $1000.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I highly recommend springing for an iMac. They are great machines. Worth the extra money. And you know they run Windows software these days too.

The plus with the Mini is that you can use different monitors and peripherals but the minus is expandability. Be careful not to paint yourself into a corner.

Of course if you can go for a desktop machine like a G5 you can have all the advantages of expandibility and flexibility. I love being able to use 2 monitors.

You won't regret switching!

You can get a 19" LCD monitor for $170, and keyboard/mouse are pretty cheap.

You actually have more flexibility than with an iMac.

As for expanding it's rare to expand your Mac, or have a real need to do so. The Mac Mini has firewire/usb and pretty much anything I have ever needed to hook up to it I have done so without a hitch.

Just make sure you stick with an Intel-Mac as you will need it when OSX 10.5 comes out in October.

Very good advice, guys, thank you so much. I will definitely look into the mini. Hubby has a Harmon Kardan sound system which he would want to port to the Mac and I assume that will work, right? (Otherwise I'll get it for my PC, oh boo-hoo!)

Years ago when I designed exhibits for a nature center I made all our indoor signs on a Mac with Photoshop and I also built multimedia exhibits for the public and interactive educational programs for our old Mac Classics, which were great for our educational programs because you don't want to give kids access to really expensive machines (especially in a combo wet/dry lab environment). My boss was great. He always made sure I had the top-of-the-line Mac in my office. But I wasn't paying for it, so it was all golden.

And I also had a Windows machine for everything else I did. I had three desktops in my office configured in an "L" and I could swivel between the three machines. It was so cool. My only real problem was remembering which machine I was working on! But I was younger then and the synapses worked better, you know?

And if I recall correctly there are much better games available for the Mac. Not that I have time to play games, mind you.

Yes, he can use the Harmon Kardan speakers on the Mini.

Better games for the Mac? Unfortunately, no. There are games available, but basically just for the occasional gamer.

Though any intel based Mac can also run windows using bootcamp (or some other stuff).

If you have a teacher in the family or a freind who is a teacher you can get an Apple discount - either online or at an Apple retail store. It's not much, but an extra 5 or 10% can't hurt.

I'm about to buy a new iBook. The 12" one I have now is absolutely great to travel with, but it has the older chip AND the letters have worn off many of the keys. You can easily tell I use it a LOT.

Most likely I'll make that move shortly after we return home from Affiliate Summit. So "ol trusty" will be with me in Miami.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Oh Beachy I could kiss you! Hubby isn't a teacher but he does work for a school, and he's been able to get teacher discounts for other things with his employee ID card.

Awesome!

You guys know more good stuff!

Rhea, you are certainly welcome.

ABW is a treasure-trove of information - and all ya gotta do is ask. I know I have learned a LOT in the short while I've been here.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Do they even make an iBook anymore? There is the low-end MacBook which is a decent unit.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Do they even make an iBook anymore? There is the low-end MacBook which is a decent unit.
    Oops...you're correct. It's the MacBook that replaced the iBook. That's the one I have been playing with at a couple of local Apple Stores.

They recently upgraded to a full megabyte of ram which will save me a few bucks. I only need the lower end unit to replace this ol' iBook - don't need the SupreDrive, just the plain ol' Combo.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I've been using Macs forever, and just over a year ago I bought two new Imacs just after the intel processor versions were introduced. You can't go wrong there.

Macwarehouse, Macmall, etc. all advertise about the same deals at the same times, but if you go to an Apple dealer store, you can usually chisel the price on a package deal. They won't reduce the price on the hardware, but they will throw in some freebees.

If there is an Apple store close to you, I recommend getting ProCare. That gives you a one-on-one session where an Apple expert will explain any aspect of using your Mac and answer whatever questions you have regarding anything related to Apple hardware, software, applications, etc. one hour per week for a year. But, you have to go into the store, it's in person only, not on line or on the telephone. It also includes additional perks, including priority for repairs.

Also, the Educational discounts apply to software as well (Mrs. Hound use to teach years ago and we got that discount in the past, but unfortunately, no more) For example Microsoft Office for Mac: Standard Ed reg price - $399, Student Ed, reg price - $149.00. (note - new 2008 edition is due out soon).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I bought my wife the MacBook with the Superdrive (the $1299 version) and she loves it.

Her brother bought the Black MacBook (at my recommendation) for his college studies and when he went to the Apple store they threw in the 3-year AppleCare program, an iPod (not sure what version), and a AIO printer for about $1600 before tax.

My MAC is a PowerBook G4 I purchased in 2004 and it still runs as if it were brand new. It has never crashed or frozen on me and no virus has invaded it up to now. I love the large screen and it is very easy to carry to presentations or conferences. It also impressed customers and other MAC enthusiasts when they see it.

It is worth every penny!

Good Luck,
    Annie
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Hubby's been doing a little research and found this machine on Amazon. I hate Amazon but what the heck, the price is right and hubby says the machine has everything he wants.

Apple iMac Desktop with 17" Display MA710LL/A (1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive)

What do you guys think? Is this good? Bad? Eh? Can we do better price-wise (the price is $999 and there's a $75 rebate, too)?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Desktop-...B000EPHT14/ref=

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Hubby's been doing a little research and found this machine on Amazon. I hate Amazon but what the heck, the price is right and hubby says the machine has everything he wants.

Apple iMac Desktop with 17" Display MA710LL/A (1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive)

What do you guys think? Is this good? Bad? Eh? Can we do better price-wise (the price is $999 and there's a $75 rebate, too)?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Desktop-...B000EPHT14/ref=
    Macmall has that configuration for $994 before the $75 mail-in rebate. I would still try an Apple store to see what they might throw in.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Darling, keep searching for good prices. A Mac is a mac is a mac! They are all good! I still have a 20 yr old mac in perfect working order. They never die!!

Enjoy!
    Annie
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by southbeachannie
    Darling, keep searching for good prices. A Mac is a mac is a mac! They are all good! I still have a 20 yr old mac in perfect working order. They never die!!

Enjoy!
    Annie
    You haven't seen my previous one. May it rest in peace. (It did endure constant use for several years.)

Heh, I still have my Mac Plus from 1985. It still runs and works great.

The only thing I would keep in mind is to make sure you buy an Intel Mac, not a G4 or G5. But that price doesn't look half bad, really.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Okay, I have to ask. What's wrong with the G4 and G5 machines? I'm pretty sure hubby has mentioned that they have them where he works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast