ABW Ambassador
    I think I need some easy way to keep track of changes i make to my pages with respect to optimisation. I have so far kept a folder on my computer with all the versions and positions in the SEs of every page I changed - very useful when Google drops my page from #1 to #30+.

I figure I need a software program that can show me the HTML for a page that achieved x position in y search engine. Possibly with notes about how I changed it for the better, and maybe linked to a newer version, with the position of the new page etc. A sort of history for every web page I optimise.

Is there such a software beast? If not, I intend to write one. Does anyone else think this would be useful? If you would like to be involved in the development with your ideas, please let me know. You will of course get a free copy. The final version may be free anyway, but not sure how this project will develop or whether there is a market for such a progam.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

There are many different tools available to handle version control. We tend to use MS Visual SourceSafe for most of the VB code we write.

Do a search on version control and see what you can come up with?

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. A huge amount of sites in Google for that search term. Much of what I have seen is over-kill for what I want. Maybe I will just write something to suit my needs.

Andy Williams

Sorry about that. I am guessing SourceSafe is overkill for what you want to do.

If you do write something. You could then offer it to all of the members of ABW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

ABW Ambassador
    Well all I really want is to have some easy way to keep maybe 10 different versions of a page on file together with the position each version held in each particular search engine I am optimizing for. Maybe some notes to to describe the progression of each page to the next.

Andy Williams

Merant produces some great software that does everything you need plus a lot more.
    However, Version Manager would be even more overkill than SourceSafe for your requirements.
    They also produce Collage for web content management.
    But, these are very expensive solutions.
    There's a free version control utility with most Unix and Linux distributions, CVS (concurrent version systems) but it isn't exactly user-friendly.

Colin
    mozart-heals

ABW Ambassador
    VSS would work fine for your needs. It has complete version control, and you can assign notes to each version. This could fulfill your documentation needs.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replies. However, everything I have seen is much too (a) expensive, (b) overkill for what I need, or both.

I have written a simple program to keep track of my versions. It is just a database application that keeps a copy of the HTML page, version number, notes, date etc. Organised as projects. Each page given its own project name. When working on a page, you can filter out just that project and quickly see all versions and notes associated with them.

If anyone else want a cheap (FREE) way to keep backups of HTML files that you edit, PM me. I'll send you a copy.

There is no help file, but if anyone wants to try it, I'll write a quick txt file with everything you need to know for using it. Probably not everyones cup of tea - I tend to do things in a strange way.

Andy Williams

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by colinh:
    There's a free version control utility with most Unix and Linux distributions, CVS (concurrent version systems) but it isn't exactly user-friendly.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not entirely user friendly on its own, but there are several good free frontends that are available with most distributions, and there's ports for several of them to the windows platform as well..

ABW Ambassador
    cvs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread