Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    501 and 505 errors....
    Can something be done about the incessant 501 and 505 error codes when trying to log in or move through the site? It's really maddening.

I don't have any pop up blockers but get a 501 error code at least once when trying to log in and too many times to count throughout a session while I'm trying to get links. When creating custom links, it's especially frustrating when I've got everything set up the way I need it and I'll click to get the link, get the dreaded 501 or 505 error message end up having to log in all over again. At that point, the information I've entered to create the custom link is gone and I have to do it all over again. Arghhhhhhhhhh
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i access SAS from 3 different computers regularly, in two locations (different parts of town) and i use my laptop from hotels and much more. i've never seen a 501 or 505 error while visiting SAS. not even once.

a 501 is a syntax error, usually caused by a script failing to run (or to be located). this is often caused by settings within the user's browser, and has nothing to do with the server-side of things (at SAS).

rexanne, read this and check your browser's http 1.1 setting:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811262

might also be something that's an add-on to your browser that's causing it - can you list your tool bars and we can see if others using them also have the issue?

and, what browser and version are you running?

Brian, check the bottom of your server logs for 501 errors and see where she's getting tripped up... let us know if the location's repeatable for her and other here can try and replicate to confirm and isolate...

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Rexanne,

I split this so it could be discussed...

Can you provide some details on your browsing environement....and anyone else getting these errors please do so as well.

501 would indicate that your computer is not accepting cookies from ShareASale.... you may be able to help this by going into your browser settings and telling your browser to always accept all cookies from ShareASale, etc....
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Not sure what error I get but it oftentakes up to 5-6 times to login via Firefox

Thanks for the explanation, Donuts!

I'm using Firefox, have Goog toolbar installed, had site advisor but it's now McAfee something or other and NOD32 anti virus. No other tool bars.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm using Firefox, have Goog toolbar installed, had site advisor but it's now McAfee something or other and NOD32 anti virus. No other tool bars.

I'll look at my cookie settings. Thanks!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Rexanne,

Donut's explanation was referring to an HTTP error which would be a white screen with black letters typcially that said in big bold 501...

The error I assume you are having is a little red error above the login box....coming from ShareASale. This has to do with cookies....

Any of the things you have.... Google, McAffee, or NOD could be causing the problem... but you may be able to get around it by putting ShareASale.com onto your safelists in ALL of those applications.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

I enabled cookies specifically from SAS in my FF browser settings and didn't get the 501 or 505 error when I just logged in so hopefully that'll fix it. Can't believe I've been dealing with this for so long. Figured it was an issue with SAS. LOL

Thanks!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm getting login errors but the error code I get is 604. This usually happens when I login for the first time of the day. If I later login to a different merchant account, without logging out, it works fine. If I logout then login to a different account I usually get the error.

I'm using Netscape 7.2 which has the login info saved so it's the same login info with each attempt. The first login of the day can take 2-6 attempts before I get in. No toolbars or plugins on this browser.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ackkkkkkkkkkk - just took me 5 attempts to log in again - same 501 error. It's on the SAS log in page, small black letters, left side of the page.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

It does eventually login which makes no sense to me because it always says login is incorrect

Can something be done about the incessant 501 and 505 error codes when trying to log in or move through the site? It's really maddening.
    PUT THAT BACK!

Attached Images Attached Images

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I just started getting those errors today on my FF browser.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I've had no problems using Safari.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

yep it is a 501 error code

Just saw this thread. This happens to me severasl times per week (sometimes per day). So, to give a down-n-dirty test I just logged out, closed the browser window, opened a new window and tried to log back in. Here is the result...

" You have entered an invalid login. Please try again.

NOTE: Some Ad-blocking and Popup Blocking software such as Norton, McAffe, ZoneAlarm, etc... can interfere with the login process. If you are having trouble logging in you may have success after you turn that software off or edit the settings to allow or "whitelist" ShareASale.com.

PLEASE NOTE: You are on the Affiliate Login page - If you are a Merchant, please visit the Merchant Login page

Error Code: 501
    "

This morning I am using my PC and FireFox (1.8?). However, it doesn't seem to matter - I frequently use my Mac with FireFox and get the same results. The "Invalid Login" message happens several times per week.

Once in a while it only shows up one time before I can successfully log in, but sometimes it takes four or five tires.

No toolbars on either computer and no cookie probs with any other site logins.

Location? For me it happens here (Ocean City, MD) with Comcast Cable Modem and at our other home (Baltimore) with Verizon DSL.

No "big" problem, just a bit annoying.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Check to see if you have any FireFox extensions / Addons installed (FF users). I think it is under the "Tools" menu, "Add-ons"
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Never mentioned this before but have always had the same thing happen to me as the others have said. Exact message Beachy posted is what I get. As far as I know it only happens using the Firefox but like others said the weird thing is that sometimes it only takes a couple times to log in and I'll get in.....sometimes might take 6, 7 or more times to finally get in. As far as I can remember there's never been a time I didn't eventually get in, just a bit frustrating at times.

Not exactly sure what's considered a Firefox add on or extension is but if I think I know what you mean, Sage is the only thing....but had the problem waaay before I added it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Check to see if you have any FireFox extensions / Addons installed (FF users). I think it is under the "Tools" menu, "Add-ons"
    No FireFox Extensions or Addons on either my PC or my Mac. I like to keep a lean, mean, surfin' machine in front of me. (Speaking of lean-n-mean...I recently downloaded Safari for PC and may soon be switching to that for my primary surfing browser.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    If you're getting the red text error message on the actual SAS affiliate login page (like Beachy's post, #16 in this thread), it probably has to do with whether you've accessed any SAS pages, while logged in, in a certain amount of time. This is an inactivity timeout. SAS automatically logs you out of the system after... I don't know the actual time, maybe an hour of inactivity (Brian can you confirm the timeout period please?).

So what might be happening is if you at some time were already logged into the system and bookmarked that page, then you go back to the bookmark every time you want to log in, the red text error will come up if it's been over an hour since your last activity in SAS. I actually have it bookmarked on the internal SAS account manager URL as stated above, to save a bit of time. This makes it easy to go back to the account manager, after I've gone to other sites, and not have to type my username and password every time. But of course if it's been more than the inactivity timeout period, I get that red text and I simply login again.

You can either do what I do and login again when you see the red message (realizing that you've timed out), or I suppose to avoid some confusion you can re-bookmark SAS to be the non-logged-in URL of the affiliate login:

http://www.shareasale.com/a-login.cfm

You'll never get the red text error if you always use the above URL as your bookmark. But the tradeoff is that even if it's been less than the timeout period and you come back to SAS (using this bookmark) after using your browser to go elsewhere, you'll have to login again.

I prefer just ignoring the red message and logging in again if I have to, so the URL I've bookmarked for SAS is the already-logged-in account management URL:

http://www.shareasale.com/a-main.cfm

NOTE: What I've described is not necessarily what's going on with everyone; there may be a cookie settings problem that some on this thread may be having. But I think it's more confusion than an actual problem for many people. Error messages don't always mean that there's an actual problem. The SAS red text error message is simply telling you that you're not logged in, whether it's due to inactivity timeout or cookie reasons. That being said, the error message "You have entered an invalid login. Please try again. ..." is misleading. It would be nice if the system could detect whether it's actually an invalid login or a timeout. Many web interfaces that require logins are much clearer than this when you try to go to a page on the site and are not logged in due to inactivity (they say "logged out due to inactivity" or similar).

This is the message I get when logging in to SAS through a book mark (colors exactly as they appear):

You have entered an invalid login. Please try again.

NOTE: Some Ad-blocking and Popup Blocking software such as Norton, McAffe, ZoneAlarm, etc... can interfere with the login process. If you are having trouble logging in you may have success after you turn that software off or edit the settings to allow or "whitelist" ShareASale.com.

PLEASE NOTE: You are on the Affiliate Login page - If you are a Merchant, please visit the Merchant Login page
    (link to merchant login not included here)

Error Code: 501
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Yes Rexie, that's the message I was referring to. Read my post right above yours and hopefully you'll be able to get past the confusion. Since you apparently bookmarked an internal URL (i.e., a page you can only see after you log in), you'll get this message a lot if you've timed out due to inactivity, and just need to login again. Is that what's happening?

If you log into SAS, then go to a completely different site in the same browser window, then hit your SAS bookmark to go back to SAS and it hasn't been something like an hour since you last clicked something within SAS, this message should not come up; you should automatically go back into your SAS account interface. Although I don't know what you have bookmarked. Can you copy&paste to this thread the URL your bookmark goes to? (assuming it doesn't somehow have sensitive info in it like your username and password)

As for 505 errors in SAS, I've never seen them.

I'm using FF 2.0.04 and have seen the problem off and on, but only first thing in the morning. I just close the browser, hit RoboForm and I'm usually in.

Add-ons? Yep gobs. I count 34 that are active.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this entire thread has ME pretty much confused.

(But most folks would tell you I'm pretty easily confused.)

I use Firefox -- current update I have is 2.0.0.4, I believe. I've had this red-text error (501? 504? whatever it takes) for several months now. I think I even mentioned it somewhere on the forum when I first noticed it. Has to be at least 5 or 6 months?

Here's the deal, after reading this thread. I have NO IDEA what the problem is or what should/must/ought to be done to solve it. I've got my FF browser set to accept all cookies and keep them until they expire. I have tons of add-ons installed, to echo bumpaw.

No where in this thread have I read what difference it makes whether or not I have add-ons, what to do about it, etc.

Mr. Sal mentioned that it's a cookie problem. I have all cookies allowed and I don't delete them, so if I need the cookie to make SAS and FF get along together -- it should be there.

I have never once had the login problem with IE, any version of IE I've tried.

Fact is, FF works in a world of ways better for everything I do online than IE, so I need things to work, if possible, with FF.

I cannot believe that the problem either 1) doesn't REALLY exist somehow (??), or, 2) cannot be resolved by SAS programmers/coders or someone.

Why does this ONLY happen when I log into SAS? Nothing like it occurs with LS or CJ -- nor any, ANY website I log into -- only SAS?? And ONLY when I'm using FF??
    Generate more fake news.

Again, this is ShareASale's default message for any time you try to either:

(1) do ANYTHING within the logged-in area of the interface after a period of inactivity, that is longer than SAS' timeout period (it seems more like at least 2 hours to me, while before I said it was about 1 hour);

(2) try to login and type the username or password incorrectly;

(3) don't have cookies properly enabled, as SAS requires cookies for you to use the logged in interface.

I figure it's usually a matter of (1) or (2) that is causing this confusion. The error is misleading in all cases except (2). It's a generic error. It would be much better if the site would be smart enough to tell you what the cause of your being logged-out is. Most websites that have a secure (logged in) area do this. CJ does not tell you that you've had an inactivity logout; it simply brings you back to the login page. At least it doesn't give you an erroneous message that you've entered an invalid login.

Those of you who are having this problem... can you confirm that you're getting it when you've been inactive for a while in SAS?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast