how to determine effective PPC keywords?
    I was wondering whether someone could shed some light on how to best go about testing keywords in PPC campaigns, Adwords specifically?

I guess my main questions are:
    - what's the best way to determine the inital bid for a keyword?
    - how long/how many clicks should a keyword receive before you decide whether it's worth keeping it?
    - if a keyword doesn't work, do you pull it or do you try make changes to ad text and landing page?
    - how can all of this by done for a large amount of keywords and without loosing too much money?

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by chemoul
    - what's the best way to determine the inital bid for a keyword?
    For me, gut feeling based on expected profit and conversion. That, and I shoot for actually getting traffic (top 10).

- how long/how many clicks should a keyword receive before you decide whether it's worth keeping it?
    Depends a lot on the product and expected conversion, low-ticket, high-ticket, etc. If I'm set to make $50 off a sale and the word is cheap, I might let it go ages. If the word runs $1 a click I better convert better than 1 in 50 overall, though I may let it go for past the 50 to get a fair sample.

- if a keyword doesn't work, do you pull it or do you try make changes to ad text and landing page?
    All three are possible, but again it depends. If I've been running six different ad variants and the page converts well for other words, I'd pull it in a heartbeat.

- how can all of this by done for a large amount of keywords and without loosing too much money?
    Before you ever get to a "large amount of keywords" you should get a feel for what works and what doesn't, gain an understanding of tracking your sales, etc. If you haven't, it might be time to pay a firm to take it over for you. Of course that cuts into your profits. Then again, it might be the only way to get those profits...

Now just promise me that another newbie to ABW isn't about to post some "great service" we should all try.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    There's too many details to answer your questions in less than 10 printed pages.

From your questions, I can guess where you're at as far as experience and success. I suggest you measure ROI in great detail as you go and concentrate your education a lot more on matching types, than the things your questions focused on.

Affiliate Manager
    Keep an eye on your stats ... If you pay a lot for a keyword that isn't converting, then tank it. Set your bids low and if you need to raise them Google will tell you. Set up multiple ad models and see which convert best. Constantly update your keyword list and always test and try new things. And there is much more, but as Donuts said, I don't have the time to write a complete manual

Thanks for your answers so far.

Thanks for your answers so far.
    I hate to be one of those that says "use the search Luke", but there are tons of good posts on PPC here at ABW.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread