Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    *Attention all widget making merchants :)
    First want to tell ya all that I'm not complaining. Thought it was on my end til I wrote Carolyn and found out it wasn't. Asked her if it was ok to make this post since I didn't wanna appear as if I was trying to tell any of ya what to do or anything. Plus, wanted to save Carolyn the time having to do it herself. Also, easier than individually contacting all of you gone wild little widget making people

**Ummm....any of you merchants who have any type of coupons, Father's Day offers, sales, etc. that have expiration dates to them......when these expiration dates have come and gone......you have to update these on your end of things or they will be showing as expired offers on our sites.....and don't think any of us want that.

Just letting all of you know this since most if not all of mine are showing expired offers so figured you guys weren't aware of this. Now, pretty please.... go and make these expired offers change to your current offers when you have the time.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Thanks PB!

Affiliate Manager
    That is a good head's up... thanks

Good tip PurpleBear! I wouldn't have thought of that.

~Bob

Wow, thanks PB!! Didn't even think of that. Should all be updated now, and will add to my monthly "to-do"
    KK

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Good tip PB, I'll ensure the amwso gang are reminded
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

pssssst. I'm not naming any names but those of you who aren't will know who you are......ummmm some of you are not keeping up with the updating

We affiliates can't do it for you...you have to do it.

So..... would you pretty please do so.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    pssssst. I'm not naming any names but those of you who aren't will know who you are......ummmm some of you are not keeping up with the updating

We affiliates can't do it for you...you have to do it.

So..... would you pretty please do so.
    Thank you
    Cause if you don't you'll find out what it means to be "Widgets gone wild"

Great catch Purplebear!
    Gold Prospector just Prospecting Sales! :coolsmile

ABW Ambassador
    Finally was going thru the widgets, found some I could possibly use but if the preview is any indication of what will be on the site then:

Baghaus
    Freeqoutesworld
    Hocks.Com On-Line Pharmacy
    OverstockJeweler.com
    GigaSonic
    Sunglass Warehouse

have expired coupons in your widgets. Purplebear said pretty please, don't want to see her mad

Affiliate Manager Alan Townsend's Avatar
    Coupon Widget
    Thanks Purplebear - very good to know!!

I added a coupon/deals widget a couple of days ago and I noticed something SAS might want to change:

SAS provides a few pre-formatted widget templates, one of which is called Deal List, which you can use to display coupons. It lists the following options to display:

Start Date:
    End Date:
    Coupon Code:
    Description:

The "Description" is actually the title of the deal, so using the pre-formatted template, the widget will not have the details of the coupon, only the title. I find this important because there's more to a coupon than the title (terms, restrictions, call to action, etc.) and affiliates and customers should be aware of them.

That being said, I realize there's a "Free HTML" macro that you can use to display the description. It would be helpful to change the Deal List template to include coupon title and coupon description for those of us using the Deal List template, rather than the Free HTML version.
    Last edited by Alan Townsend; August 30th, 2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Finally was going thru the widgets, found some I could possibly use but if the preview is any indication of what will be on the site then:

GigaSonic

have expired coupons in your widgets. Purplebear said pretty please, don't want to see her mad
    5 GigaSonic coupons have now been extended til 10-06-07 and updated in the Widget.

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    Apologies Purplebear!!

We had one widget for Baghaus (now deactivated) specifically for our Spring Bling promotion (that has since ended a while ago). This was actually our very first widget Our other widgets (daily deals) are up to date.

Thanks also to Trust for calling us out on this

Dave
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure if I should mention [Chris Park or CJ] by name, but one of my merchants updates coupons on his end at CJ so that what's showing on affiliates' sites is always a current coupon or leads to a current deal if it's a text link. Others may also, but I'm not aware of them or what kind of system is used.

ABW Ambassador
    I have those kind of links at various networks and merchants and they're only good if the merchant updates them on their end. It could be this kind of thing or other dynamic type links.

ABW Ambassador
    Tough love time.

EagleBit - out of dates in your widget.

Hips And Curves - Picked 2 random on Sales And Clearance - We're sorry but there were no results for this search.

Avanquest Software - out of date coupons

Sunglass Warehouse - out of date coupons

Emitations.com - out of date coupons

CrazyForBargains.com - out of date coupons

Happy Mothers - out of date coupons

Retail Concepts - out of date coupons

Rugman.com - out of date coupons

Things From Another World - coupons good, this - Nick & Dent Graphic Novels are 50% Off - End Date: 09/30/2007

I'm not even checking the products. I would check those too, make sure they're in stock, prices match etc.

Overall I see more merchants using widgets since last time I checked, good. Even see a new one I could use.

Happy Mothers - out of date coupons
    Fixed! Sorry about that.
    KK

Red face
    I just saw this post. I updated all the deals in the widget and added a second tab that shows our 50% off specials.

Sorry about that folks! I'll keep it updated. Promise!
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

ok, I'm on my second email now to an affiliate manager to inform them that they need to update their widget and have a feelin that they may not even know what I'm talkin about since I think this may be their first widget making experience. Rather than take the time to go sending out a whole bunch of emails.....figured I'd try bumping this up again to remind you guys and ladies.

hmmm .....yes, some of you are the usual suspects., yeap....fraid so.....if you're reading this...yeap, am talkin to ya if you have to think about it.....fraid so .......now, please, pretty please go update that widget.

ok.....to you repeat offenders that know I love ya: I realize it's hard to remember to do this, so I am not mad at ya, am just giving you a friendly little reminder to do so.

If you're not reading this now.....which I'm afraid is gonna probably be the case with at least the first two I've sent emails to....you're gonna go making me send a lot more emails. I'm realllllly behind on things and would rather not have to be doing this but since it appears as though you may be a first time offender I'll send ya the email...... but if you don't do it then.....I'm gonna have to go bring in the big guy ( Trust......yeap, fraid so ......and he'll get tough with ya)

In case there are any newbie widget lovin makin affiliate managers:
    Listen up now cos am gonna say it very nicely

We affiliates can not update any of the widgets........if you make a widget, it is up to you to update it. If you don't it will make us very unhappy:cry or worse yet......it may make some of us very and then they may just remove your widget. I know you didn't go to all that trouble to make your nice little widget just to have somebody get at you and do that.......so...... Pretty please keep your widgets updated or as much as I don't have to wanna do it.....am gonna have to go get Trust and he may just go naming names

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, something to do before the Pizza Man comes - some repeat offenders

CrazyForBargains.com - expired coupons

Emitations.com - expired coupons

StuffedAnimals.com, Inc. - expired coupons

Happy Mothers - expired coupons

Henry & June LLC - expired coupons from last year

GigaSonic - expired coupons from last year

BaseballRampage.com - expired coupons

Sunglass Warehouse - expired coupons from last year, they've been expired for almost a full year now, let's go

BuyJewelry.com - have up Feb specials, it's now March

Things From Another World - I click coupons, page is blank

Stripes39 LLC - 1 widget, 3 products, all with big words over them SOLD OUT

PlumberSurplus.com - Deal and Promos, they're expired

Spamers - red x's for you images

A Cherry On Top, Scrapbook Shoppe - expired promo codes, one from last year

Rugman - your coupons are expired 09/30/2007

imed - bunch of red x's for your images

SleepyHeads.com - some red x's for some of the images

Retail Concepts - expired coupons

I was mad about this yesterday and didn't do anything, so now I will jump in and try to help make the case:

1. Back when widgets were introduced to affiliates, the sales pitch was "put in up, no need to pay attention because it works like dynamic links, only better!"

2. We made the effort to support and test and tell everyone what would make it work better - different sizes, colors, etc. There are still not many widgets that will fit in a sidebar and I got tired of looking, but I did keep in mind a few programs where I saw the manager make an effort - that way if I decided to try again I would know who to ask.

3. Yesterday I spent some focused time building new pages for merchants. One of them is mentioned above. I had a perfect place for a widget if I could find one that would fit in a sidebar. I found one and put it in place.

4. Every single thing I clicked showed 400 not found, or 500 server error, or no search results. So I stripped it out and moved on - not to a different banner, but to a different merchant!

5. The only way a widget will work is if we install it on our site and you keep it up-to-date. If it was just a fun toy to play with when it first came out, then take it down so we don't keep getting our hopes up.

6. If you can't make it work like a dynamic link for us, then fill them with good information that won't go out of date.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Also some of these widgets are WAY TOO BIG. If you are going to have widgets that take up half a page at least have some smaller options as well. Neutral color choices would be great as well since we can't customize the color of the widget to match our sites.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Judi,

1. Back when widgets were introduced to affiliates, the sales pitch was "put in up, no need to pay attention because it works like dynamic links, only better!".
    I hear ya and agree... Merchants need to do a way better job of keeping this stuff up to date. We are working on some educational pieces that may help them understand the urgency.

5. The only way a widget will work is if we install it on our site and you keep it up-to-date. If it was just a fun toy to play with when it first came out, then take it down so we don't keep getting our hopes up..
    Agreed again... we've noticed the same problem ... Going to go back and specifically target those merchants who created them....
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

That would be great. Thanks!

When you develop the educational pieces, tell the merchants that we stop trying new tools when we've been disappointed too many times in the past.

Add me to the list of people who got frustrated by expired coupons, 404 errors and otherwise useless stuff in the deals database. Was working on this stuff a few days ago and kept hitting a brick wall. Thanks Purplebear, Trust and everyone who posted. I really appreciate it!

BuyJewelry.com - have up Feb specials, it's now March
    Thanks for the Info. We have updated our widget. We actually created that widget for valentines specials - and when valentines day was over, updated it to 'February' Specials. Didn't realize that people would be using it after valentine's day was over. After reading this thread - I have a better understanding of widgets are, and will be creating more. AND WILL keep them updated. Thanks!

-Samir

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast