Why Reading the Affiliate program T&C is important
    A couple months ago, late at night I was searching through some expired domain name auctions when I stumbled on a name I thought was too good to pass up. It had a product name and call to action right there in it.

As a side note, I need to stop going to expired domain auction sites at 3am.

Well, after winning the auction I figured it shouldn't be too hard to monetize the domain name. I parked it, figured I'd get to it in a little bit.

Tonight is a 'little bit'. So, I checked my 3 major networks, SAS, CJ and LS. I couldn't find anything in any of them. Stumped, I went agooglin' for "product name afiliiate program". I found several merchants that sold the product and proceed to check them out. They all are running in-house programs, which worried me a little bit as I've been burned by that in the past, but it was all I could come up with.

OK, knight01, get on with it... I am, I had to set this up!

I thought since these are in house and I don't want to get burned I had better actually read the terms & conditions. Nothing unusual in the first one, hit submit and I get an email that I'm approved. Go to the second one, fill out the application, find the link to the T&C click it, read through it. I find this:
    # Commissions are paid on a quarterly basis as promptly as possible after a calendar quarter has ended. Calendar quarters each year consist of three month durations during the following periods:

January 1 - March 31
    April 1 - Jun 30
    July 1 - September 30
    October 1 - December 31

# Affiliates who earn $24.99 or less per quarter will forfeit their earnings for that quarter. Commission earnings cannot be carried over into the following quarter.
    The quarterly payments weren't an issue, but that you forfeit ALL earnings if you don't earn the minimum within the quarter floored me! I've always seen it being rolled over to the next month/quarter/year whatever.

The product is a relatively low priced item and they pay 8%, so I'd need to sell about $312 a quarter. The minimum isn't much, and with what I've learned here I think I could make it easily. But I don't think I want to go into a partnership with a merchant that comes right out and says, "we're taking your money if you don't succeed".

Moral of the story: "Read the merchant terms and conditions, even if you THINK you know what they are going to say"

Needless to say, I'm still looking for some merchants. Back to Google.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    They are s and thieves.

You ought to name them so everyone here will know to
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Is it a product you can buy direct from the manufacturer? I recently picked up a domain that is the hyphenated .com of a two word product name (product-name.com). I've found that if I buy from the manufacturer and sell at average retail I'd see an 800% markup on sales. Since we're already set up to ship, I'll probably go that route when I get time.

Good luck!

[Edited to add: If they do that to their affiliates, what do they do to their customers? Run!]
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    Here's the program.

http://www.kitsforcrafts.com/affiliates/register.asp

I think it's important to read the T&Cs for all affiliate programs, not just independents. While it's unlikely the networks would allow forfeiting commissions as is the case here, there could be other red flag items that would cause you to think twice about joining their affiliate program.

I've been asked several times to join the affiliate program of one of the largest international hotel chains (based in the U.S.). I continue to refuse because there are a couple of clauses in their T&C that are simply not acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Is it a product you can buy direct from the manufacturer? I recently picked up a domain that is the hyphenated .com of a two word product name (product-name.com). I've found that if I buy from the manufacturer and sell at average retail I'd see an 800% markup on sales. Since we're already set up to ship, I'll probably go that route when I get time.

Good luck!
    It's not something I'd want to do, I've gone the dropship route in the past and even bought some equipment to do personalized t-shirts and mugs as a merchant. I'm just not up for that again at this point. Now if I had something that was an 800% markup, it might change my mind, but this is too small as far as the price to setup everything needed to efficiently sell and ship by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Here's the program.

http ://www.kitsforcrafts.com/affiliates/register.asp
    Actually, that's not the program. But the T&C looks to be exactly the same except for the merchant name.

I'm guessing this is some type of boilerplate they bought from someone selling affiliate software.

http and a telephoto
    Yikes.... stay away from that software too then.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    It's not something I'd want to do, I've gone the dropship route in the past and even bought some equipment to do personalized t-shirts and mugs as a merchant. I'm just not up for that again at this point. Now if I had something that was an 800% markup, it might change my mind, but this is too small as far as the price to setup everything needed to efficiently sell and ship by itself.
    Might only be 700% after shipping, customs charges, etc, but still...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    It's possible that they may not have good long term intentions, or it is possible that maybe they are filtering to try to better their odds of getting more productive marketers. The $24.99 requirement per quarter may be a "deterrent by design" for non producing, or non activating marketers in their minds. Just a thought...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    Or they bought software and used the canned text and didn't really read it or understand it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Or they bought software and used the canned text and didn't really read it or understand it.
    Or, they bought software, saw that term, and thought "What a great idea - leave it in!"
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    It's possible that they may not have good long term intentions, or it is possible that maybe they are filtering to try to better their odds of getting more productive marketers. The $24.99 requirement per quarter may be a "deterrent by design" for non producing, or non activating marketers in their minds. Just a thought...
    ... which are exactly the affiliates who won't read the T&C's...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    A couple months ago, late at night I was searching through some expired domain name auctions when I stumbled on a name I thought was too good to pass up. It had a product name and call to action right there in it.
    Be sure to read in the T&C's whether they are OK with you using the product name in a domain, too.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins
    Be sure to read in the T&C's whether they are OK with you using the product name in a domain, too.
    Shawn,
    I wasn't clear, but it is a generic product, not a brand name in the url. i.e. tissues, not Kleenex.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread