Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Gas at $6 per gallon? Get ready.
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Get ready for Congress to solve the energy problem just as it has previously solved the illegal immigration problem. A bill being debated in the Senate this week is described by some of its supporters as “far from perfect” but “a good start.”

S. 1419story

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The Renenewable Fuels, Consumer Protection and Energy Efficiency Act of 2007 is a fabulous step forward to reduce US dependence on Middle-East oil and to move energy use to environmental-friendly and renenewable energy sources, including ethanol, biodiesel, etc:

"Renewable Fuels, Consumer Protection, and Energy Efficiency Act of 2007 - Biofuels for Energy Security and Transportation Act of 2007 - Sets forth a schedule for motor vehicle fuel, home heating oil, and boiler fuel to contain specified volumes of renewable fuel by calendar year 2022.

Prescribes a pilot program to establish refueling infrastructure corridors for gasoline blends containing renewable fuel.

Amends the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to: (1) increase funding for bioenergy research and development; (2) establish bioresearch centers that target biofuels; and (3) authorize loan guarantees for renewable fuel facilities.

Establishes a grants program for: (1) renewable fuel production in states with low rates of ethanol production; and (2) transportation of biomass to local biorefineries."

See WashingtonWatch.com for more details, or download the full text.

Given oil company profiteering, Middle-East politics, lack of energy conservation, and the continual extensions of gas-mileage improvement legislation, gas will likely be $5-6/gal. by 2016 without any such legislation.

Devoting resources to renenewable energy is not only vital to protecting the earth, but will, in the long run, reduce energy costs when biodiesel, ethanol, and even hydrogen fuel sources are the standard for motor vehicles.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    In the meantime, speaking from the entrepreneurial viewpoint, what kind of products, services etc exist or can we come up with that may be valuable to fuel consumers??

The right products might make for a great affiliate program. Let's see if the brain trust here in ABW can come up with some ideas...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    In the meantime, speaking from the entrepreneurial viewpoint, what kind of products, services etc exist or can we come up with that may be valuable to fuel consumers??

The right products might make for a great affiliate program. Let's see if the brain trust here in ABW can come up with some ideas...
    Good thought, but if any one comes up with a really great idea, I don't think they will post it for all to see, at least not until the program is up and running.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Good thought, but if any one comes up with a really great idea, I don't think they will post it for all to see, at least not until the program is up and running.
    I'm an incurable entrepreneur and networker. Spent most of my adult life networking with others to come up with ideas, package the ideas and market them. If anyone thinks of anything and wants to talk about possibilities, (of course on a shared basis) I welcome a call or email. Bouncing ideas leads to great products and networking can accomplish things that one person alone cannot... Just takes a few with a like - mindset.

There is a potential for some great Aff programs and $$ for the right products on this issue, so I offer to explore the situation with fellow entrepreneurs whose heads are in the right place... In the absence of that, it's good food for thought for entrepreneurs.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Zappos?

Hehee, ok, kidding. But I do like your idea - today's fuel events will cause new products to emerge. Bikes may make a resurgence, if trails are built on a large scale. That said, transportation will be the slowest to change - because it requires infrastructure first. As transpo moves towards more use of electricity, look for that demand to drive up our power bills (they're high already). Combine that with the Green movement and I'm think home solar and home power savers may be an affiliate area worth exploring. Everyone I talk to seems to have a huge interest in swapping out their light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs - which just screams for an affiliate comparison site for CFBs.

Back to my Zappos joke... I think movement generators for micro electronics will come to be mainstream as well. Your shoes moves all day long. Build a generator into the shoe, make it charge your cell phone. I'm not even a tree hugger and I'd buy something like that. We've had watches that are driven from their movement for a very long time. Shoot, I recently saw a new patent for a very clever watch charging system (*) that uses ever-present temperature changes to continously rewind the watch. I could also make an argument now, as a marketer, that a GPS nav unit for your car is also green (especially for men!).

Perhaps an aff site about all of it - products that use no energy, use little energy, or save energy - grab a domain with the word green in it, and go.

* http://www.timezone.com/library/news...57485905156250

I don't know what solution is (personally, I just drive less...), but I'm fairly confident that a government solution will be, shall we say, problematic. I'm too conservative to demand price controls beyond what the market stipulates (I actually lean towards being against a minimum wage).

There are already some solutions (imperfect as they are) to some of these problems. But historically, people don't care. If you're concerned about gas prices, drive less. Buy smaller cars with smaller engines (they don't sound as good, but they're more fuel efficient). Get a diesel engine and pump it full of filtered used vegetable oil.

Tell me that a better solution than what I've said wouldn't get picked up by VC funding. Market controls are in place, and I don't think we need the government telling us what to do. The greatest expense on a gallon of gas is already the tax being collected. So what's the government's solution to higher gas prices? Raise those taxes...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Zappos?

Hehee, ok, kidding. But I do like your idea - today's fuel events will cause new products to emerge. Bikes may make a resurgence, if trails are built on a large scale. That said, transportation will be the slowest to change - because it requires infrastructure first. As transpo moves towards more use of electricity, look for that demand to drive up our power bills (they're high already). Combine that with the Green movement and I'm think home solar and home power savers may be an affiliate area worth exploring. Everyone I talk to seems to have a huge interest in swapping out their light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs - which just screams for an affiliate comparison site for CFBs.

Back to my Zappos joke... I think movement generators for micro electronics will come to be mainstream as well. Your shoes moves all day long. Build a generator into the shoe, make it charge your cell phone. I'm not even a tree hugger and I'd buy something like that. We've had watches that are driven from their movement for a very long time. Shoot, I recently saw a new patent for a very clever watch charging system (*) that uses ever-present temperature changes to continously rewind the watch. I could also make an argument now, as a marketer, that a GPS nav unit for your car is also green (especially for men!).

Perhaps an aff site about all of it - products that use no energy, use little energy, or save energy - grab a domain with the word green in it, and go.

* http://www.timezone.com/library/news...57485905156250
    Great start Donuts. Yes, the ideas aren't restricted to fuel we burn in our cars. Cause and effect, action and reaction, problem and solution, perception and effect, bi-products spawned by consuemr concern that will only grow with time. Bikes? "lose a pound, save a gallon" get healthy conserving?

I like the Zappos idea. Not too sure it would be a big seller, but hey, anything is possible.

CB, of course driving less is a bandaid / interim solution, but consumers do not generally conserve. We talk about liking the idea, but in our personal lives we keep doing what they do - unless we just can't afford to keep buying it at the increased price. But as Donuts points out, there are far more possibilities for energy saving products than just engine fuel consumption issues.

The thinking caps go on...

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    The greatest expense on a gallon of gas is already the tax being collected.
    No so. Federal tax on gasoline is 18.4¢ per gallon. States tax at about the same rate, though New York, I believe, is the highest in the country, at about 50¢/gal. Alaska is only 8¢/gal.

So, for a $3.00 gallon of gas, the tax varies from about 27¢ to 69¢.

A handful of states also do collect sales tax on gas.

[B]No so.

So, for a $3.00 gallon of gas, the tax varies from about 27¢ to 69¢.
    I spoke before I fully researched. I was under a false impression that gas taxes were higher. Here's an interesting page I found (I don't know if it's current, but it seems to be) that outlines tax rates by state:

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

That said, I still maintain that the best way to solve a gas price problem is not by the government imposing higher taxes on gas. I just haven't seen many (any?) government subsidized programs work efficiently enough to justify the money they take from me.

Do I think we rely too much on foreign oil? Perhaps. But let the market take care of things. If it was too bad for people to handle, they'd buy mopeds or get a bus pass. Or, heaven forbid, walk somewhere.

In the end, people still feel that, while they would prefer to pay the late 90's rate of gas, the cost of the gas is outweighed by the benefits of driving. If they didn't feel that way, they'd stop (or severely limit) driving. But gas consumption (while probably down, I don't have time to research it) isn't down enough to justify a decrease in price. There's too much demand.

Do I think OPEC is evil? Undoubtedly. Do I think price setting is wrong? Yup. Has there been price gouging in the US? I'm not convinced. Spikes seem to more closely follow drastic changes in supply (hello nice hurricanes...), which, given the supply / demand model makes perfect sense.
    Chris Sturgill

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    To Alan's question:
    How about Electric Scooters..

Too bad the Electric Scooters program in our network is expiring in about two weeks! (they already gave the 30 days notice that we require for program termination two weeks ago).

But I still think that's a good option for some folks to promote.. I see those things all over Salt Lake City now ..more so than ever.

solar charging electric scooters:

Actually if it was up to me I would tax cigarettes around $25 a pack and build a few more refineries. Its not the price of oil thats the problem (short term) its the amount of oil we can refine into gas. People would quit smoking which would also cut down healthcare expenses.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Actually if it was up to me I would tax cigarettes around $25 a pack and build a few more refineries. Its not the price of oil thats the problem (short term) its the amount of oil we can refine into gas. People would quit smoking which would also cut down healthcare expenses.
    Brilliant!!
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Tax Paying Member
    There is a vacant lot in Brooklyn. Maybe Exxon should build a refinery there.

Better yet......Why not move one of New Jersery's refineries across the river. This would give NJ a chance to clean up a bit.

Let the market find it's own level. When politicians and "others" try to manage.............
    Oh well.....it is like that proverbial brown paper bag.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    There is a vacant lot in Brooklyn. Maybe Exxon should build a refinery there.

Better yet......Why not move one of New Jersery's refineries across the river. This would give NJ a chance to clean up a bit.

Let the market find it's own level. When politicians and "others" try to manage.............
    Oh well.....it is like that proverbial brown paper bag.
    Politics aside, what about product ideas that will sell more readily as the price of gasoline, oil, energy rise? Come on gang, there have got to be some ideas in here somewhere.

I would welcome a refinery here in Brooklyn it would create jobs. The more people working the less the city has to charge for property taxes.

While we are at it they should have wind turbines at the end of the airport runways. Those 747's create a lot of wind every minute they take off.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Chris,

US gasoline consumption continues to increase. The latest figures I can find are from 2002, but they show a drastic increase in consumption over the preceeding 10 years: US Bureau of Transportation Statistics

And our depedence on foreign oil continues to grow. I remember at the time of the first oil crisis of 1973 or 1974, we were then importing virtually no middle east oil for consumption in the US.

At the beginning of the 1980s, annual US crude oil imports were 2,188,420 thousand barrels. By the mid-2000s, they have grown to 5,005,541 thousand barrels. US Energy Information Administration

Unless signficant resources are used to develop other energy sources, we will not only be spending more and more for oil-dependent transportation (which includes mopeds and buses) but we will be more and more economically and politically beholden to foreign interests.

US gasoline consumption continues to increase. The latest figures I can find are from 2002, but they show a drastic increase in consumption over the preceeding 10 years...
    That's exactly my point. If consumption is increasing, I don't want to hear a lot of belly aching about rising prices. "Demand is increasing, and prices are going up, I just don't get it..."

When people value oil dependency and prices more than they do now, consumption will decrease. Right?...
    Chris Sturgill

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    That's exactly my point. If consumption is increasing, I don't want to hear a lot of belly aching about rising prices. "Demand is increasing, and prices are going up, I just don't get it..."

When people value oil dependency and prices more than they do now, consumption will decrease. Right?...
    Right, so long as there are viable alternatives.

Right, so long as there are viable alternatives.

Of course, alternately, if we can substantially reduce our use of offshore oil, the price of oil will decrease, thereby forcing cost down down down. The other side of supply is demand. When either goes up or down, so goes the price.

Internet Cowboy
    Until we get the zillions of excess SUVs with a GVWR of 6000 pounds or more off the road, we will continue to increase our dependency on foreign oil.
    In 2003 a bill was passed allowing business owners to buy an SUV with a GVWR > 6000 lb with pre-tax dollars, so everyone in the world bought a Ford Excursion, or a Suburban or whatever gigantic SUV suited their fancy. This happened on a scale that has had an impact on the oil consumption of the US as a whole.
    I believe it has since been reduced or maybe even eliminated. This was a huge campaign payback that played a major role in getting gas to cost $3 + a gallon. Thanks guys!

I would like to see an extra dollar a gallon in tax for you folks in Florida and California. That dollar would be sent to places like Louisiana and Texas that take the environmental risk of drilling.

Florida and California have been able to curb their offshore drilling. They think their areas are special, but they still fill up not worrying about the areas that support production. The NIMBY syndrome is hurting America.

I know we can't drill our way out of this mess, but every factor in the equation is important. The other day I was riding in Bayou Lacassine which cuts through the Federal Refuge named Lacassine. There in the middle of the place was a drilling rig. This is the nicest spot in SW Louisiana, and they have been drilling since the 50's.

Why is a Louisiana refuge dumped on and everybody holding up drilling in ANWR?

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    A brilliant Aussie Docco "Crude" aired recently outlining the history, present and future of Oil. Online version plus additional footage available here. The comment that stick in my mind is (parahprasing) "My biggest fear is our grandchildren saying to us in disbelief -You burned it all?!?!"
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Bumpaw,

I understand what you are saying, and I certainly agree that there is nothing more disgusting than seeing oil wells blight otherwise picturesque areas. Californians grew more and more disgusted with this sight, and the effects of drilling on the environment, and a few years ago we began to do what we could to prevent future blights, especially in protecting the California coastline, which despite substantial efforts, still includes some of the most heavily polluted costal areas in the world.

And further, despite efforts to curtail oil drilling in fragile and senic areas, there remain a multitude of otherwise beautiful communities and open areas littered with oil wells, including, for example, oil wells adjacent to Beverly Hill High School.

The facts are further as follows: According to the most recent statistics I can find, California has 45,515 active oil wells, compared to 16,769 in Louisiana, and California's annual oil production is three times that of Louisiana.

The solution should not be to blight additional majestic areas, such as the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - which, by the way, would yield far, far less oil than the propaganda suggests, but rather to develop alternative energy sources.

Oh, and you guys can send us the $1/gal.

The facts are further as follows: According to the most recent statistics I can find, California has 45,515 active oil wells, compared to 16,769 in Louisiana, and California's annual oil production is three times that of Louisiana.
    Don't forget that California is 3.32 times bigger than Louisiana. Using your figures that would mean you need another 10,158 wells to be equal to Louisiana on a basis of wells per square mile of land area. California has 158,706 sq mi while Louisiana is only 47,751 sq mi.

Also you didn't mention the gas wells that your sources show. 14,884 gas wells for Louisiana and 3,362 for California.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast