<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Westmont:
    Froogle benefit?

As much concern as we have about the future impact of Froogle, what about the "brokers"? If Google eventually goes to some sort of super affiliate concept with Froogle, what happens to guys like CJ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For all I care, CJ guys can go to hell! They don't give a sh!t when parasites screw their affiliates, why would I care about them?

It's time we realize that Google is not there to send us higly targeted to traffic, direct to our pages, for free.

Google is a place to for any Internet user find anything they want, quick and easy.

If Google does not push Froogle as seperate brand, and keeps it like other features as images/groups, then there is not much threat.

But, naming it "Froogle" rather than something simple like Google - Shopping, shows that they're interested in bulding it as a brand and making money with it, rightly so. They're not likely but even they tried to be a super affiliate, so what?

So affiliates will have to start building "real" sites, and offer a value to visitors, rather than just putting together product pages and copying datafeeds as a website. And that's a good thing!

Good points, Sambay.

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Pbbtt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So affiliates will have to start building "real" sites, and offer a value to visitors, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What jealous ranting.

Obviously the visitors find our sales pages to be valuable--if they didn't, there wouldn't be any money in that kind of site and it would disappear on its own.

Your statement reminds me of someone entering a street-style Ford Taurus in an Indy Car Race, and then, when it gets its doors blown off, saying that the other cars don't have enough comfort accoutrements and should be forced to add them.

They don't have comfort accoutrements because accoutrements slow the car down! Cars with creature comforts don't belong in an Indy Car race and sites that are made for leisurely reading don't belong in the field of ecommerce competition.

Speed up your own car or get off the track. We're not slowing down.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

And while everyone whines about how their websites with "real value" don't make any money I'll be bragging that my website of nothing but products from a datafeed making me a fortune. Jeeze don't forget there are more search engines. Google isn't even that profitable surfer wise. Msn traffic converts at least 30% higher per visitor than google ever did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyderâ„¢:
    And while everyone whines about how their websites with "real value" don't make any money I'll be bragging that my website of nothing but products from a datafeed making me a fortune. Jeeze don't forget there are more search engines. Google isn't even that profitable surfer wise. Msn traffic converts at least 30% higher per visitor than google ever did.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of visitor quality CR wise I agree with you Heyder. My main site got booted out of google this month(around %70-80 of my traffic) but guess what..My revenues are not down that much..so google sends more traffic but converts indeed lower than other engines. and my CR for that site this month is around 0.30 w/o google, while it was aroud 0.10/0.11 with google.. So CR up rev down cause google supplies bulk traffic.. but it doesnt mean it's quality..

He who steals a minaret prepares a proper
    cover beforehand, said of someone who intends to do something illegal.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader said...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Obviously the visitors find our sales pages to be valuable--if they didn't, there wouldn't be any money in that kind of site and it would disappear on its own<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Absolutely. I have three sites that are one hundred percent affiliate links/ads. When a visitor types in lingerie they go to one of my web pages and find lingerie. When they are searching for whatever, they find it at my site. No mis-representation. The bias toward sites like ours (I.E. mine and Leaders) is causing more problems than it is helping, when it comes to everyone getting along. I have respect for content sites. I, myself, constantly use the internet to find and share information. The web offers a wealth of resources, and still has much potential. Part of that potential is allowing me, and others like me to pursue dreams, and fortune. Theteen-ager, who in the earlier years, made a fortune off of AOL downloads because his three web pages were coming up first in search results for search terms/keywords thatwere related. That niche, obviously is oversaturated by now. However, there are more niches to be filled. Those opportunities will be severely diminished when the likes of Froogle start dominating. Google so easily could have all their pages advertising stuff like my sites do, come up first in all the search results. MSN could do it, as well as all the other search engines and directories. My greates fear is not Froogle as it exists in now, beta form, but what will evolve. Could you imagine Google, and all the other search engines moving toward pay for merformance revenue on a large scale? Visitors would have to go 100 pages deep to find my site, or someone elses.

Leader, as well as others have mentioned that if something like this was to happen, then affiliates would have to improvise and adapt.And so it is with the ever changing web. However, if this idea becomes pervasive, and placed into action with all the major search engines/directories, then there will be nowhere, or way to improvise. We simply wont be found.

Big Chuck

Re Leader's post - case in point:

I have a content site with an extensive boutique set up. The boutique pages have a life of their own, basically, apart from the content end of the site. After doing that for a while, I also set up a completely different sales site with a completely different focus and viewship. This latter site is way smaller than the boutique and literally, all it does is contain merchant links and present product (although, since I'm a writer, I had to put a special spin on the text).

As you might guess, the boutique is where 90% of the sales happen when it comes to my content site. But that new, little all-sales site is outperforming the boutique. The only thing I can say in the sales site's favor in the face of Froogle is... well, here's a place where you can buy stuff and chuckle over the amusing ad text. The site does have a certain personality and appeal to its demographic. What does all this mean for the long term? I have no clue... yet.

J

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> rather than just putting together product pages <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's as simple as this:

When somebody searches for "New York Yankees Cap", they want to buy a freekin Yankees cap. Period. They do not want to read about the history of the Royal Benevolent Society of Yankee Cap Wearers and view ye olde photos of the founding members.

Pictures of the products, Prices, "Buy" button. That's it. That's what they want.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

I have expected and anticipated that Google will eventually launch their shopping engine. Don't worry folks .

All you have to do ..is think harder and smarter (outside of the box) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img], there are really other good ways to get free or cheap quality traffic. Don't give up!.

- On my way to be a 7 star publisher ......nothing can stop me.

As known today will Froogle hurt or help sites with one hundred percent affiliate links?

Well said Leader...As far as i am concerned i have both content and sales sites....I leverage my content site to create new sales pages with nothing but some semi aggressive sales pitch and a big bold ugly "CLICK HERE TO BUY WIDGET" link [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Performed good in good 'ol gaming world and now in the CJ world [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]...

Good conversion implies my site is serving my visitors what they want [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

$&gt; cd /pub
    $&gt; more beer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 14K_Deelz:
    It's as simple as this:

When somebody searches for "New York Yankees Cap", they want to buy a freekin Yankees cap. Period. They do not want to read about the history of the Royal Benevolent Society of Yankee Cap Wearers and view ye olde photos of the founding members.

Pictures of the products, Prices, "Buy" button. That's it. That's what they want.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deelz,

Unfortunately, that's exactly what Froogle does, only leaving the middle men like us, on outside.

I did not mean to say that affiliate sites do not offer value, sure, most of them do. If you have a product page with your own product review, and make that page search engine friendly so the visitor can easily find your page and buy the product, that's value to that user.

But, just think about vStores for a second. Same thing over and over again, all over the Internet only with different store names. No wonder they don't work, because they're useless to visitor.

Secondly,

Let's say I get BackCountryStore's datafeed and turn it into a outdoor products website. So can/will a 10,000 other affiliates. Value? I don't think so. Just same pages, over and over again.

There will more Froogle type of distractions in the future for affiliates. I believe, if you offer a value to your visitor, you'll have more of them coming to your site and keep them as repeatin traffic. So, Froogle-likes will have little impact on you.

Leader mentions "jealousy". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What can I be jealous of? I'm doing most of the things you guys do and I'm good at it. And affiliate commissions only amount to %10 of the income I generate on the Internet. So, I could even do without it. But, I'm just offering my opinions in a self-critism way, as we all should do.

I've been reading some of the responses and have come to a conclusion about this whole thing. I think we have little to concern us. Right now google is sending traffic to the merchants commission free when the searcher clicks directly on a merchant link. For the merchant to pay a commission on every click through would probably cause them to take some sort of action. The stores don't want to pay a commission to anyone they don't need to. I believe they will do their best to keep it that way. Think of all the money they will lose paying commissions to Google/Froogle. If I were a merchant I would be very concerned and possibly even deny them the affiliate link.

Just a thought

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The presentation of a datafeed can vary a lot. There's no need for everybody who uses one to have a site that looks the same! If that happens it'll only be for a while, because everyone that's serious will want to have that "Something" that makes people click THEIR link and ignore the other sites.

As for my "jealousy" comment, SamBay, it's because I always detect such bitterness/hostility in your posts when you mention datafeed-driven sites!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread