Trying to bend cloaking to fit my situation
    I am still a bit mystified regarding cloaking - it is one more step of indirection than my mind follows. I have data records with many fields (such as title/description/...) Two of the fields in each record are Pretty-Fake-URL and For-REAL but Ugly URL. My dynamic page is generated by PhP and has a text link at the bottom of the page that says ' For Our Super Price - Click Here'

I would like the page/PhP program/whatever display the Pretty-Fake-URL at the bottom of the page and transmit the For-Real-but-Ugly-URL on to CJ/LS/...

Can I do it - Should I do it - How do I do it ???

Charles

It can be done, and it might be a good idea. Try using the search feature, I know this topic has been discussed a bunch before and people have even offered some solutions.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

It it a very fickle process. Trying to change the message in the status bar only effectively works on some browsers on some OS.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in any FireFox but it definitely doesn't work on mac osx/ff. I've also heard that IE7 on windows ignores this as well.

The only site that I know of which can do it effectively is Gmail. Some how they pass the real URL to the status bar but the link re-directs first to a google page then to the real URL.

I've tried, half-heartedly, to hack this code but they are JavaScript masters and I hate JS so I gave up.

The way I will solve this is by using a redirect page on my site and that page will use the php function redirect("location: URL-HERE"); It's not as pretty but also not as obvious as just supplying the real URL.

This has been discussed before on ABW, although I'll admit to being about as lazy as you are with using the search feature... lol

Here's a tutorial that does the trick: http://www.blogbelt.com/link_cloaking

I cloak the sales link, but not the image tracking link. The browser doesn't display the image link unless the user knows how to right-click on the image and select properties, so it doesn't need to be cloaked.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr

I cloak the sales link, but not the image tracking link. The browser doesn't display the image link unless the user knows how to right-click on the image and select properties, so it doesn't need to be cloaked.
    I think this is the most surefire way of hiding the affiliate's URL. The other methods that rely on JS will fail on some browsers.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Nice and concise tutorial, Rick
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks Rhia.

The other method I've started using lately that I like better is to add a redirect entry in .htaccess, which you'll find in your application's root folder (or you can create an empty file with that name in the root of your web application). this method works about the same but doesn't require the creation of a separate php file per link.

You just add one line per link, like this:

redirect 302 /phonetools http://www.merchant.com/affiliate_id

You use an href="/phonetools" in your page link, which gets redirected to the affiliate link.

I've just developed a custom solution for my needs, and am just grappling with the elementary issue of headers already being sent. I'm discussing it at this thread here in link cloaking.

I also leave my tracking image intact if one appears, as it is invisible to the visitor. I'm currently keeping my links in a MySQL database. I include a PHP file in my html with a query string (specifying which record I want to use). That PHP file queries my database and gets the appropriate banner image to display, which then shows up in my html via the include.

Since I like my aff ads to open in new windows and you can't do this when employing a PHP header redirect, I use a different PHP file for the actual click. The 1st PHP file I mentioned displays the image from the database, anchored by a link to PHP file #2, with the same query string. In PHP file #2, I pass the variable from the query string to the MySQL database again in order to get the affiliate url. I then pass this back to my PHP and cloak it in a header. This file also increments a click tracker for my database.

So, 1 PHP file to retrieve the displayed image from MySQL and another PHP file (opened in a new window) to cloak the link in a header and increment a click tracker. PHP file 1 is an include, and PHP file 2 is the included href.

Does anyone see any problems with this?
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Exclamation url cloaking that has been proven to work
    Quote Originally Posted by DataFeedr.com View Post
    It it a very fickle process. Trying to change the message in the status bar only effectively works on some browsers on some OS.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in any FireFox but it definitely doesn't work on mac osx/ff. I've also heard that IE7 on windows ignores this as well.

The only site that I know of which can do it effectively is Gmail. Some how they pass the real URL to the status bar but the link re-directs first to a google page then to the real URL.

I've tried, half-heartedly, to hack this code but they are JavaScript masters and I hate JS so I gave up.

The way I will solve this is by using a redirect page on my site and that page will use the php function redirect("location: URL-HERE"); It's not as pretty but also not as obvious as just supplying the real URL.
    Just an update. I did find a free script that uses php that does work and protects the affiliate link. Fairly easy to use and backup too.

Click counter and download counter

I am also using a free css drop down menu in my site as well and it is pretty easy to modify and adapt to almost any need.
    Mark (Satchel)
    Webmaster / Sales Manager
    [url]www.tsmgroup2.biz[/url]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread