Exclamation Basspro Still Broken?!!!
    Basspro links have been broken for many, many months now.
    I can't understand why this has not been repaired.
    I appreciate Tracy saying that they are working on it, but how long could this take?
    All direct product links land on the homepage.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, I've been waiting on this as well. I can't understand why they would leave it this way for so long. They've got to be losing sales on this. It baffles me!

I've complained a lot and have switched over to selling more Dick's Sporting goods products. But they don't sell as well to my audience.

Their links and products have been forever broken. I've dumped 'em long time ago.

Internet Cowboy
    I took them off of my fishing site and will not put them back. Bass Pro's affiliate program sucks!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    An opportunity for an OPM...

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I spent so much time manually adding their personalized stuff to the appropriate pages, it would be a shame to yank them.

I'll stall a little while longer

FYI: Neither the AM nor their Customer Support responds to emails

If they are in pop-up land they probably think their affiliate program is doing great!

I think they were on the top 500 list of Internet retailers. It sure would be nice to get these links working...

By Basspro, I assume you all mean Bass Pro Shops / BassPro.com...

Man, their stores are SO FUN for me to visit. I've spent tons in their brick and mortar locations. Haven't happened to have bought anything online from them, but have viewed their website - i think it's wonderful too.

I checked UPromise and eBates quickly, see this merchant isn't up to speed on how things work. I've heard nightmares about their communications and datafeed. Can't help but wonder what kind of effect BHO thieves have on their priorities... BHO's don't need a decent datafeed to post sales... nor do they need an active or experienced AM to manage things either... pretty much need someone to sit back and close their eyes and let "it" flow...

Their site points prospective affs to CJ, where else do they have programs?

The text on their aff intro page says:
    "So long as this Program exists, you may not outbid Bass Pro for the use of any such restricted key words with respect to any third party portal or search engine including but not limited to AOL.com, Yahoo!com, MSN.com, ATT.net, Lycos.com, Google.com, Netscape.com, metacrawler.com, excite.com or AltaVista.com."
    We've all discussed the "outbid" conundrum (you can't see their bids) - and this statement tells me more about their program too. Saying you can't outbid, but allowing BHOs... is like saying... you can't outbid us, but you are allowed to outsmart and outmaneuver us cuz we're not that bright about this technology thang...

When a merchant is this lost, even one with really great possibilities, what is the best way to open the window and let them see what can be done ethically, and to their benefit?

I think some movies might open their eyes... but when they're this far gone, I wonder if it would make a difference.

This is nuts. Months upon months of broken links.
    And is tracking working? I doubt it.
    Hundreds of click throughs, even to the homepage, should have led to a sale. In the past it did.

I guess it is time to vaporize the Basspro links and affilliate program.

Ridiculous!!!

I've tried to find a replacement but other similar merchants don't convert as well. There are a few on SAS but it's the same deal. They absolutely refuse to fix their datafeed. In the feed they have "Billards" as the main category for everything they sell. Camping, fishing etc.

If you find a merchant with a good datafeed to replace them I'd appreciate the tip. Thanks.

I continue to believe the root problem here is CJ ethics. By letting bho's (and others) monetize them, they have likely come to believe that datafeeds aren't that necessary, nor is communicating with their affiliates - they get plenty of affiliate "sales" doing just what they're doing now.

This opportunity is so large, for so many, that I'm nearly inspired to invest my time in it [meaning contacting people, making movies, etc - not becoming their affiliate (their current state of affairs tells me that'd be unwise)].

I just checked their EPC and Network Earnings stats. EPC seems much lower than their competitiors, but that can be misleading. They're only 4 bars on Network Earnings... that says a lot to me.

Sunsetter Awnings is 4 bars... no offense to Sunsetter, but BassPro should crush them - brand strength, developed channels (catalogs, brick and mortar, tv, more), mass appeal and niche size / strength...

6pm.com (search CJ merchants using "outdoors") has a slightly higher 3-month EPC than BassPro and is also 4 bars on Network Earnings... 6pm is formerly known as Shoedini.com and is owned by ebags... maybe I don't buy enough shoes to judge things well here... should 6pm be in the same league as BassPro? I think not.

I believed this merchant has huge potential - it's going to waste.

Anyone got ideas on what we might try to do about it?

When a merchant is this lost, even one with really great possibilities, what is the best way to open the window and let them see what can be done ethically, and to their benefit?
    Anyone got ideas on what we might try to do about it?
    I guess in this situation we can talk ideas alright. Nothing ventured nothing gained. It would be mighty interesting to "turn" a merchant to the benefit of all, not saying it hasn't been done before.

I have to run to our Denver lunch today but a few thoughts or rhetorical questions:

If something like this has been done before, what needed to happen?

How much traffic have we all sent to Basspro which has converted poorly. How much have we lost, or in other words how much dollars have they lost?

With hard data, can we make some projections to quantify and clearly define the problem?

What are Bass pro goals exactly? If their goals and ours conflict, it would be a problem.

Our goals would go something like: increasing online sales, increasing productive affiliate pool, communicating with a dedicated AM or OPM, and working to ensure the elimination of online traffic theft (theirs and ours). Anything else?

I'll think about it some more today.

I had decent sales until March 5th... the last day I saw a sale commission. A friend ordered from my affiliate site yesterday and it hasn't shown up yet in CJ.

Has anyone seen a sale since the begining of March?

My last one was in May.

Thumbs up
    I had emailed them earlier this week and was told that they should be fixed this week.

I just checked and they seem to be working now. Unfotunately, now I have to replace the old links with the new ones.

I just checked too on 3 links and all are going directly into the landing pages now.

Those links i checked are from most recent data feed too.

Hopefully we will see more conversions now, and then allocate more resources...!

I wonder if this thread influenced that...

Cool!!!

Personally, my preference is to embarass people for being stupid, while harsh, it is an attention getter. And since I believe they are doing themselves the majority of the harm (we have alternate choices) in partnering with BHO and neglecting / being ignorant of many things - I think I'm doing them a favor with my time, even if the reaction won't be positive. So I'm still thinking some movies...

But I'd think a hungry OPM would approach someone like this and say... all you gotta do is add the SAS snippet to your shopping cart, my OPM firm will work for you solely for a percentage of sales. Since CJ gets paid 30% and SAS takes 20%, an OPM could offer to run a program at SAS for 10% of comms of other than one-time cart mods and figuring out how to get a datafeed produced from them, it would be cost-free / cost-neutral to Basspro. I'm not in favor of giving away stuff of value (OPM services) for free, but an opportunity this big may mean that 10% of comms paid through SAS sales is worth it - guess that depends on the OPM.

Yep, my links are going to products. Cool! Got work to due this evening.

Donuts,
    I got notice of your private message but I don't have permission to view it.
    Could you send me your comment via the e-mail that I included in my PM to you.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Personally, my preference is to embarass people for being stupid, while harsh, it is an attention getter. And since I believe they are doing themselves the majority of the harm (we have alternate choices) in partnering with BHO and neglecting / being ignorant of many things - I think I'm doing them a favor with my time, even if the reaction won't be positive. So I'm still thinking some movies...

But I'd think a hungry OPM would approach someone like this and say... all you gotta do is add the SAS snippet to your shopping cart, my OPM firm will work for you solely for a percentage of sales. Since CJ gets paid 30% and SAS takes 20%, an OPM could offer to run a program at SAS for 10% of comms of other than one-time cart mods and figuring out how to get a datafeed produced from them, it would be cost-free / cost-neutral to Basspro. I'm not in favor of giving away stuff of value (OPM services) for free, but an opportunity this big may mean that 10% of comms paid through SAS sales is worth it - guess that depends on the OPM.
    I tried contacting them, but have had no response. I have a couple of "ins" there, so I'll keep trying. I don't think I'd ever work for % only, too much work! But you're right, BassPro might be one where it's worth it. Too much of a sure thing if done right.

Yep, % only wouldn't be ideal, but prestige might be of value.

Quote Originally Posted by southernmost
    Donuts,
    I got notice of your private message but I don't have permission to view it.
    Could you send me your comment via the e-mail that I included in my PM to you.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    No, doing so violates my privacy cuz it gives you my email address. People write me all of the time, I can't reply to everyone, don't have the time. Just so you know, you were the straw that broke the camel's back. I have now turned off the ability for people to email me from within ABW. No hard feelings, but in my shoes, I get people emailing me and PMing me and asking for help and all kinds of stuff - I simply don't have the time. I give back in many ways - I am actively mentoring 2 ABW members right now and have have helped and mentored many in the past. And I come here to post and share and interact. I both give and learn here - it's wonderful here. Whatever you have to ask of me, since you only know me here, let me tell you a secret - by asking it here, you'll get more replies, get them faster, will get more input, more thoughts and a greater samplng of the many brilliant minds that pool here. There's no need to try and contact me privately (and now there's no way either).

Look forward to chatting with you here about many things in the future.

:-)

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread