ABW Ambassador
    Hi [CONTACT.NAME],
    Hi, sweetie! If you CC'd yourself, you know who you are, don't you?

I just got your activation email, addressed as indicated - I know who you are and who you're with, and you know who you are, and no, of course I won't tell if you won't.

But in addition to the gorgeous but (crappy, so far) site I'll be putting you on not getting traffic yet because it hasn't really been promoted yet (but somehow has still had a few sales), the reason I haven't activated you yet, which would take just a few minutes, is because your client's website has empty categories. If the merchant expects people to shell out big bux for their stuff, they'll have to remedy that, because with high end items confidence is of the utmost importance.

Good merchant, good site, good AM, but howzabout let's get that client on the stick to finish up their site!

ABW Ambassador
    Explain

Trust, I just clicked your sig link...and started laughing my head off! Much better than "you are mighty."
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Trust, I just clicked your sig link...and started laughing my head off! Much better than "you are mighty."
    Burned out my last pair of contacts.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    I'm kidding around, but how can merchants put sites up to actively promote with empty categories? Seriously, it doesn't give the impression of a stable business - it looks like a new website. There are two I've seen just this past week or so.

As a customer, if I see that I'm not pulling out a credit card, I'm leaving and buying elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I'm kidding around, but how can merchants put sites up to actively promote with empty categories? Seriously, it doesn't give the impression of a stable business - it looks like a new website. There are two I've seen just this past week or so.

As a customer, if I see that I'm not pulling out a credit card, I'm leaving and buying elsewhere.
    When you visit these empty merchant sites do have adsense on there sites?

If so, it makes me think of the shower-curtians thread.
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

ABW Ambassador
    No Adsense, perfectly fine, legitimate sites but unless that stock will be added very soon I think it would look a lot better to just leave empty categories out of the regular navigarion until they are added.

I'd be very hesitant to "activate" because I'd be concerned about it hindering conversions.

Good to hear they are legit sites

I agree with you 100%.

I suggest the same thing as I help my clients develop their sites.
    They say they want the a,b,c, in the nav, but don;t offer any content/products for those linked pages.

I let them know that adding a link to the nav is something that can be done later, and visible site-wide, when there is something to see or buy on those pages.
    Otherwise it seems like an incomplete and/or "broken" site and casts a negative shadow on the site as a whole, IMHO

oh, and I wouldn't actively promote those sites as an affiliate when there are others out there that have "it" together.

ABW Ambassador
    It's also NOT a good idea from the standpoint of organic search listings to have pages like that crawled with a new site. Those type of pages are what Adam Lasnik of Google refers to as "stubs."

Then, with a new site there isn't much inbound link love yet, so only a certain number of pages will be in he primary index and the rest will be in the Supplemental index. Unfortunately it isn't necessarily the pages we want that aren't Supplemental, on a site I'm updating right now some worthless pages are in the primary index and some of the most important ones are supplemental. So I'm having to condense down the number of pages and fool with the navigation (and put rel=nofollow on links and noindex,nofollow on info pages) to get that situation remedied.

Not that as affiliates we need to be concerned with that, but from their standpoint it isn't a good idea for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it could cause some affiliates to be hesitant to promote them until the empty page have content.

It's just better all around for everyone concerned if they just leave those out of the navigation - in addition to which when they add the content the site will be "fresh" and from a merchnt viewpoint they'll be able to announce adding new products, and every contact like that jars people's memory about promoting their program.

Not that as affiliates we need to be concerned with that, but from their standpoint it isn't a good idea for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it could cause some affiliates to be hesitant to promote them until the empty page have content.

It's just better all around for everyone concerned if they just leave those out of the navigation - in addition to which when they add the content the site will be "fresh" and from a merchnt viewpoint they'll be able to announce adding new products, and every contact like that jars people's memory about promoting their program.
    You know, its almost sounds like your after a AM job ...lol
    your are right on target when you say those areas of development can be rolled out as fresh and updated contect. i.e a growing program.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread