Windows Defender phone home
    Started up the laptop and my firewall said "service executable MsMpEng.exe attempting to broadcast would you like to allow this program to access the internet?"

Said no.. Defender has tried to phone home before Googled "MsMpEng.exe broadcast" as curious what the Defender is up to... Didn't find anything of interest, but found some very strange stuff in the search results that looked like email spam. Took a screen shot

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5668/huhny9.png

Has this been going on for awhile and I just was lucky enough to miss it? BTW the exclaimation points are from Linkscanner telling me I shouldnt visit.

As to Windows Defender I have visions of it riding a bike covered in a blanket saying "Defender phone home"
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

You do realize it does check regularly to find out if there are updatesto the software and definitions to download right?

While some like you call that phoneing home, I call it making sure i have the latest and most secure version

Nope... this is different. Defender utilizes the same protocol as Windows update, I get the notification an update is available and I download it when I want to

This is outside of the normal check and update as the next time I started up the notebook no attempt by Defender to phone home. Its been at least a month since Defender tried to contact the Mothership I've marked todays date - be interesting to compare dates to see if there is a pattern .... and an autoupdated routine has to be found and shut down
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread