More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Land of The NFL Champs!
    Just Something a Dad Does
    Yesterday, my kids were swimming with other kids. As always, we watch them carefully. My 3 oldest boys (ages 9-13) can swim but the 9-yr old just barely. My two youngest were on a rubber raft with some other kids and my 9 yr old got dumped over the side in water over his head. He was treading water and at the point of going under.

Just as all this was about to happen, I happen to jump in off the dock and am heading toward my son. Just as I get there, he is ready to go under so I hoist him up onto the raft. A few more minutes and perhaps he would have gone under and taken in water.

What was strange about this was it all happened in such an uneventful way. I saved him but it did not seem to be a big deal. Just something a Dad does.

Ironically, this same son was baptized in the lake only a few feet away from this spot only 2 hours prior. We were at our church picnic at the lake.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    North Carolina
    Definately gotta watch the little ones around water. Kids don't usually realize what's happening and likewise don't shout out, "Hey, I am drowning over here!". It's usually a quiet process that ends in tragedy.

Keep up the good work of an eagle on eye them around the water.

Mansfield, TX
    You might want to consider checking with your local Y about swim lessons. They're very reasonable (about $50-$60 here) and it's a great peace of mind. We just finished two weeks worth of at-home lessons for Gabriel (4-years old) and five of his friends a couple weeks ago. Four of them (including Gabriel) are like fish now, and the other two can swim well enough to get to the side. Before the lessons, Gabriel needed a life jacket in the pool. Now, he can jump off the diving board and swim all around the pool without one.
    Michael Coley
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread