ABW Ambassador
    Does anybody have any pull w/ Ikonboard?
    I've been waiting for around a month and a half to get something fixed that they messed up.
    Initially, when upgrading the board for me, after I had run into difficulties, they deleted the database and didn't tell me. It's my hosts policy to only make backups w/in 24hrs & it was a few days later when I found out. Luckily they did it and luckily someone responsible enough at Ikonboard stood up and got it back up and upgraded, but there's still one thing wrong & that guy can't be found and nobody else will get it working. Now they're not even replying to my support tickets...
    So anyway, I'm not happy...at least now you guys know to stay away from Ikonboard...

on another note, anyone familiar w/ setting up vBulletin? I've never touched MySQL, so I don't know what to expect... I've posted a question to the vBulletin people yesterday & no response yet... also, has anyone successfully converted Ikonboard to vBulletin?

Supras | Celicas

I can't help you with ikonboard, but I use vbulletin on my main site and absolutely love it. Best forum software I have ever seen. The support is really good and there are TONS of hacks/addons.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Coming soon
    Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Coldwater Creek, OverStock.com, Buy.com, TigerDirect and more.....
    Send me a Private Message for more information.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cditty:
    I can't help you with ikonboard, but I use vbulletin on my main site and absolutely love it. Best forum software I have ever seen. The support is really good and there are TONS of hacks/addons.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Coming soon
    Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Coldwater Creek, OverStock.com, Buy.com, TigerDirect and more.....
    Send me a Private Message for more information.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

vbulletin isn't free though, is it?

In my experience, the best free Message Board software outhere is phpBB by far.

ABW Ambassador
    No it isn't, but, it is cheaper than ubb (probably the biggest commercial competitor), and I'd say its well worth the $$ ($160 forever, but you only get a year of support)... From a user perspective its definitely more intuitive than others. Very strong user community.

There are a many good free options as well.

I thought Ikonboard was free?... never used it.

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Ikonboard is free...installation, if you need them to do it, is $39 Though, it all becomes apparent why it's free when they let someone who doesn't know what they're doing try to upgrade your board & they delete the database w/out backing it up first and then they don't tell anyone... Then several other people tried to fix what he did & couldn't figure it out.
    I guess a while back, the two guys who originally wrote Ikonboard were fired, so they went off and started their own company...last I heard it was going to be ibForums or invision power board...so I honestly think there isn't anyone left at Ikonboard who knows anything...

Supras | Celicas

I'll just throw in my support for vBulletin.

I have three leased licenses now, it simply rocks, and users are very loyal.

One of our sites running vBulletin has been out for a year only, and has 276,456 messages already.
    (The database is +1 gigabyte big)

Take a look at http://www.nybaktmamma.com to see for yourself. It's in Norwegian, so you won't understand a word. Use the aff-link at the bottom to buy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) Kidding. Actually, we've had 4 sales from that link during the year too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Jelsoft, the developer, is a CJ merchant that tracks.

I have also seen the beta of vBulletin 3.0, and it blows the socks off any competitors.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread