Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I'm upset about the issue with the "code of ethics" released and I've been as vocal and doubtful about it's results as anyone here.

OK - Here is a simple question?

Will you be willing to drop merchants who remain associated with parasites?

If you are, I suggest you not take any drastic action just yet. Just say yes if you will.

Dropping of merchants and letting them know that they have been targeted for action ad let them see the results of it is imperitive if we will are ever to influence them .

I suggest that a dedicated campaign is needed and the affiliates who will participate be identified and then we can work on a plan that targets individual merchants for us to notify and take actions against.

If we pull links in un-coordinated fashions, we will not be able to demonstate to a merchant that our pulling them has had an impact.

Imagine merchants going into their forum who have been targeted and them having to ask - Are your sales down today too? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

We need to act togther on this and I'll be to happy to help coordinate.

Sign up today folks, your future depends on it more today than at any other time.

The reagan drug campaign said - "just say no"!

The poon campaign says "come on baby - just say yes" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

I can't wait for this to get going.. I've started swapping links out to non parasite affiliated merchants to test the impact.. and Woohoo!! EPC is back up.. CPM is back up.. Conversions are back up.. and the $$$$$$$ is back up..

One site whereby I simply degraded the parasite affiliated merchants to the bottom of the pages, has already shown a huge jump in the right direction. We are talking an extra $100 a day in my pocket beacuse of this degrading (mind you, the merchants I chose, aside from not have any parasite affiliations, might also simply be better - you just never know what you'll find when you look). Next step is to get rid of the parasite loving merchants completely.

I will give a few merchants a chance to think their position over, but those who show contempt for their affiliates by their lack of response or action are getting kicked to the curb now.. As I hate work and people with a lack of ethics, they're never coming back..

Let the good times roll..

ABW Ambassador
    YES!
    cazzie

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Absolutely. Starting tomorrow I'm going to start kicking merchants off my sites by the score. As I review the overall sales, there's really only 12-14 merchants that I truly convert on regularly. I'm going to pare it down to those, look for a few others that have made a stance, and go from there.

It's time I did this anyways, my first coupl'a sites that I created were just ugly, pathetic little generic shopping malls that don't convert well anyway.

"The internet is an audience of one, a million times over." -Peter Guber

ABW Ambassador
    For the 3,247,617th time:

Any and all Linkshare, CJ, and Performics Merchants may be associated with parasitic "affiliates" without even knowing about it.

May as well just buy some inventory and start selling and shipping merchandise yourself if you want to be a purist about dropping all parasite-associated merchants.

As far as your plan goes though, I think it is a good one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Outsourced Program Manager Bryan Rhodes's Avatar
    Thank you for dropping the merchants still partnering with parasites. Like TK said, simply moving them lower on the page can have a dramatic impact.

You are all doing the thing.

Bryan

Bryan Rhodes
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    BackcountryStore.com
    Phone: (435) 657 2468 ex. 116

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Ditto !

I am availble to teach anyone that needs it how to convert with Tiger. We already convert very nicely among several members of this board, you can join the group. I have plenty of money to send.

I know what I can do for you, tell me what you will do for me?

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For the 3,247,617th time:

Any and all Linkshare, CJ, and Performics Merchants may be associated with parasitic "affiliates" without even knowing about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not True.. All merchants that I work with who are currently partnered with parasites have been advised of the problem. I am sure there are many other affiliates who have also contacted various merchants about the parasites. It is the merchants inaction or lack of response that will result in them being removed - not their lack of knowledge.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Will you be willing to drop merchants who remain associated with parasites?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe I referenced this a long time ago. Ultimately affiliates can take charge and choose who they partner with.

It is really that simple. If you disagree with something, don't be a party too it and select merchants that fit your criteria.

-wayne

Added note.. Bryan & Andy - You guys are great for taking a stance.. Expect a bucketload of targeted traffic to be heading your way in the coming months and years.. Just be kind enough to convert it for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not True.. All merchants that I work with who are currently partnered with parasites have been advised of the problem. I am sure there are many other affiliates who have also contacted various merchants about the parasites. It is the merchants inaction or lack of response that will result in them being removed - not their lack of knowledge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you 100%!

We have send emails on all Merchants from Linkshare few months ago!

They know about the issue! Or maybe the people incharge of email didn't pass it to the Big Guy who is really in charge!

if the AM of the Companies didn't pass it to their Boss that wouldn't want to be part of this issue will be a problem in the future!

Especially the Well known Reputable Companies!

The heat is going and people are getting more aware of this issue.

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They know about the issue! Or maybe the people incharge of email didn't pass it to the Big Guy who is really in charge! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you contacted them months ago and they know about the issue and they have not responded- well I think the answer is pretty clear.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

ABW Ambassador
    I think a slick, well produced, one-page flyer sent to the people really in charge (the AMs have had enough warning) might be more useful than another email.

The CEOs might tend to delete email from someone they don't know, but a clear illustration of what the AM is doing in his/her hand might catch attention.

So, would this be like an orchestrated event?

For example, something like this gets posted here.

"Merchant X has been notified concerning their relationship with parasite programs and no action has been taken by this merchant. Therefore, a certain number of affiliates have agreed to remove this merchants links from their sites at 9:00 AM, December 25, 2002."

If some sort of "timed and cordinated" action like this is what the initial poster in this thread had in mind, it might just get some attention.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Yes this is the way to go, while us Merchants can take a stance at one end, it's up to you guys to block up the other end of the tunnel so that their income dries up and they die.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Out of interest does anyone have a full list of AMs on Linkshare, it shouldn't be too hard to compile if one is not available at present? I asked LinkShare for it but they declined [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (okay it was a bit cheeky of me to ask them I guess [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] )

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

At the same time a merchant's links are being pulled, it's probably also important to make sure the merchant knows that links for their competitors are being put up in their place!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    just a guy and all others yes - an orchastarted event would allow a merchant to see results from affiliates pulling links at a coordinated time more clearly. If we all act separately, then a big impact all at once will not be seen and likely questions will not be rasied.

I want the merchant to be able to see and feel the impact and know where it came from!

In contrary to Mr Porters usual statements, it's not feasible for me to pull every merchant I have associated with parasites. I'd rather take an approach of pulling them one by one with targeting for results and letting the overall issue take it's course.

I have all the AMs emails compiled and will be sending out a notification email to all of them.

In the meantime I suggest that ALL affiliates exclusively deal with the merchants that are KNOWN to be clean!

I will post a list in the Cafe.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Porter- AffTrack:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They know about the issue! Or maybe the people incharge of email didn't pass it to the Big Guy who is really in charge! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you contacted them months ago and they know about the issue and they have not responded- well I think the answer is pretty clear.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I don't know! Because I still have question if the "Big Guys" knows about it?
    I know that any companies have a chain of commands and the Am of that Companies might have something to share issue to the Owners or Who ever owns the Companies!

And did they made them aware of the issue?
    It's something to think about!

There is always a bad apple on each Companies and if it's not catch quick it will hurt their Business! (IE: Enron and others!).

Then it will be too late for them to realise that their Reputable Name are in the front page of some newspaper with this issue!

Because the Greed is over their head and not thinking of the long future to have with great business in a right way, and not hurt so many (small)people!

I would make a list of Merchants that really drop this thievery tactics and do my best to promote them!

I have more work to do now, but will be happy doing it and I know I will send users to these Great Great Great Ethical Merchants, because they know what Business is About!

I vote - YES

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nova:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Porter- AffTrack:

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I don't know! Because I still have question if the "Big Guys" knows about it?
    I know that any companies have a chain of commands and the Am of that Companies might have something to share issue to the Owners or Who ever owns the Companies!

And did they made them aware of the issue?
    It's something to think about!

There is always a bad apple on each Companies and if it's not catch quick it will hurt their Business! (IE: Enron and others!).

Then it will be too late for them to realise that their Reputable Name are in the front page of some newspaper with this issue!

Because the Greed is over their head and not thinking of the long future to have with great business in a right way, and not hurt so many (small)people!

I would make a list of Merchants that really drop this thievery tactics and do my best to promote them!

I have more work to do now, but will be happy doing it and I know I will send users to these Great Great Great Ethical Merchants, because they know what Business is About!

I vote - Yes time and place?

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In contrary to Mr Porters usual statements, it's not feasible for me to pull every merchant I have associated with parasites. I'd rather take an approach of pulling them one by one with targeting for results and letting the overall issue take it's course. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HappyPoo,

According to YOU all your efforts are naught since the sales you send will just be taken by parasites.

So why isn't it feasible? You say you are making nothing or near to it from merchants who have "parasites" in their programs.

If this is the case dropping them should be simple. If this is not the case then what you say is incorrect. Which is it?

-wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Well,

Unfortunately, I make more from companies that participate with parasites than many "who claim to be parasite free" but for some reason "do not produce sales".

I saw where Elisabeth said yesterday if merchants are not producing it indicates something else deeper is wrong. While normally I would agree with that when I send 800 clicks to Gumps that results in 0 sales - I disagree.

I have the responsibility to promote and get my customers into the site - if the merchant can't close on their end due to out of stocks, annoying popups or whatever else the problem is I can't be held responsible for that.

I'll pull merchants that make me money in a heartbeat (already have) but to suggest I pull everyone of them at the same time is outragous!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Unfortunately, I make more from companies that participate with parasites than many "who claim to be parasite free" but for some reason "do not produce sales". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK I can buy that. So you are saying that even though there are parasites in these particular programs they still produce better then many programs that are "parasite free"??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I saw where Elisabeth said yesterday if merchants are not producing it indicates something else deeper is wrong. While normally I would agree with that when I send 800 clicks to Gumps that results in 0 sales - I disagree. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with her.
    If you have sent 800 targeted clicks and there are zero sales- especially in a holiday season- I think there is a problem with Gumps. Unless of course their EPC averages out to be a top performer. Then an 800 to 1 conversion is tolerable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have the responsibility to promote and get my customers into the site - if the merchant can't close on their end due to out of stocks, annoying popups or whatever else the problem is I can't be held responsible for that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. That is their job.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'll pull merchants that make me money in a heartbeat (already have) but to suggest I pull everyone of them at the same time is outragous! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If a merchant is producing well I would keep them. Parasites or no. But people are suggesting to me that because there are parasites in their programs that they are not producing. Or that being parasite free is the number on factor to look at when choosing a program. I don't buy that. To me it boils down to the math and simple questions:

What is your mean categorical EPC?
    Where do various merchants fall in line to the mean?
    How is this mean and merchant intra-category EPC moving over the last six months?

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

Another thought.. If you contact your merchants and advise them that you are removing their links, throw in some yearly stats to help them swallow the bitter pill.. After all, business is long term..

For example, I just ran a quick check on one of my merchants on the remove list. Over the past year, I have sent them close to 40,000 targeted clicks. By my calculations, the removal of this merchant from my site will result in a 6 figure loss of turnover for them - which of course goes straight to their competitors. BTW, this merchant is an online only merchant - no brick and mortar set-up, and operating in a niche field.

If 10 or more people with similar stats also dump the same merchant, the resulting loss is one million plus. If 50 people of varying stats drop them, who knows what the results may be.

Another quick note - talk to the AMs of merchants you are considering swapping to, and give them your stats as well. It's a great way to start off a partnership with them at a higher tier of commission.

[This message was edited by TK on December 11, 2002 at 12:43 AM.]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast