ABW Ambassador
    Dell offers to remove bloatware
    "Dell as announced that it will be pre-installing a software utility that allows its US customers to more easily uninstall the variety of applications that the company pre-installs on some of its PCs."

"A user known as 'Fairplay' said: "When I say I want no software other than Windows and Office, I mean I want no software other than Windows and Office!"

Now that reminded me of somebody but probably not the same person.

http://www.pcw.co.uk/vnunet/news/219...move-bloatware

ABW Ambassador
    This was mentioned in the article, kind of cool, don't know many other companies that have something like:

http://www.ideastorm.com/

Interaction with customers/users. Voting system, comments etc.

Wonder if you could have your CC company fight the charges if your orded a Dell Computer with just MS Windows and Office and is came with a bunch of other software preinstalled.

Thanks,
    Doug

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Nice story Trust, I appreciated reading that. It gives me a glimmer of hope that Dell will return to it's heyday by listening to their customers, not abusing them.

Actually dell has been giving you the option for months now not to install any software on your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Actually dell has been giving you the option for months now not to install any software on your PC.
    Is there a charge? I like to image the drive myself with a workstation setup. Does Dell offer that service??

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Trust thanks for info.

I was searching and looking at getting some new desktops and Dell was a favorite as always, but now they just shot up the list quick. I still don't like pre-installed software that says it will remove pre-installed software, but guess better than no option at all.

no change, you just have to customize the machine and make sure you select no additional software.

Internet Cowboy
    Dell has started retailing in big box stores and I am sure this has at least something to do with this decision. The stores don't want to fade the heat for it and with a presence in the big box stores, Dell can no longer hide behind their terrible, horrible, awful outsourced support when angry customers come calling.

Too late for me, Dell. I have been loyal and I for one will not be back. As do many others here, I have a decent-sized computer budget.

I just bought a HP touchscreen laptop and had to immediately remove all the crapware. This would be a great service.

The last desktop I bought was an alienware, before they got bought out. The first time I ran it the airbag deployed from the monitor. The only "extras" they installed was tweaks to make it even faster. (They make some great high end systems) I wonder if they are pre-installing crapware now.

Last laptop I bought from Dell had tons of crap on it. I formatted and reinstalled. The install disks had pre-loaded crap in them. I wasn't happy.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    no change, you just have to customize the machine and make sure you select no additional software.
    This isn't the full story, I know, I've been through it recently for a friend of mine.

Even with that option selected, in the last few months, Dell still installed several programs that many people don't want. Their definition of "no additional software" may be changing for the better - but recently, prior to the Dell announcement, it was not as pristine as you make it sound.

Go back to the article Trust linked above, follow it's links to the IdeaStorm folks.

And if they didn't install stuff, why did they build and announce a tool to remove stuff?

And...

"Dell has announced that it will be pre-installing a software utility that allows its US customers to more easily uninstall the variety of applications that the company pre-installs on some of its PCs."

Dell's not stopping the installation of bloat, they're strategizing that most consumers will still be too lazy to remove it. So they're pre-installing their removal app. While I applaud that move - c'mon - pre-installing a bloat removal tool, instead of not adding bloat in the first place, is a joke.

Imagine this in anything besides a computer... buy a new phone... and it comes with a pre-installed software configurator that lets you remove listening-in devices and pre-recorded ads and additional connectionware that let's other tap into your phone line and it's communication pipe, all which slow it's usual performance... that phone manufacturer would be castrated by the press.

What if tv's came preinstalled with cameras so they can watch you in your living room, but the tv maker included a little piece of black electrical tape that allowed the tv buyer to block the camera's aperature if they wanted "additional" privacy... would you buy that?

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Dell's not stopping the installation of bloat, they're strategizing that most consumers will still be too lazy to remove it. So they're pre-installing their removal app. While I applaud that move - c'mon - pre-installing a bloat removal tool, instead of not adding bloat in the first place, is a joke.
    That's kind of is what I've been thinking about this thread. I am less likely than ever to buy a Dell now. The whole issue makes me trust them even less (as if I had any trust in them in the first place).
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, it does suck that it comes with all that stuff. Out of the major brands, Apple has practically nothing, as far as Window's PCs, they all do, I posted this one before in case you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hDdw_PA7xw

Said Sony was the worst, followed by HP and then Dell.

They're basically saying "we'll install an additional software to remove the all other additional software we dump in your computer"

Is it really needed? Will this "software utility" do anything other what window's "Add or Remove Programs" do? I don't think so.

ABW Ambassador
    I was wondering about that myself. I have an old emachines that didn't come with any bloatware. I have some that came with my Toshiba laptop that I rarely use and was just on it and you can just remove it with Add/Remove. Which bloatware is it that you can't get rid of with Add/Remove?

Was just going thru my Toshiba laptop and I removed Norton completely and then other than that, didn't see anything I wanted to rid of. Doesn't have Wild Tangent games on it. It has Napster and Google Toolbar but I would have downloaded those anyway since I use both.

HA!

"Dell has announced that it will be pre-installing a software utility that allows its US customers to more easily uninstall the variety of applications that the company pre-installs on some of its PCs."
    Yeah, it's called "Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs"

Kind of a brilliant work-around for dell actually. This allows them to still collect fees from the software providers, while providing customers the option to kill the wares. Only thing is, if Dell is going to put out all this mesaging about how "customized" and "personalized" their machines are, I should be able to get the machine that I want, exactly the way I want it, right out of the box.

I'll just keep building my own for now, at least that way I know what's in the d**n thing.

Is it really needed? Will this "software utility" do anything other what window's "Add or Remove Programs" do? I don't think so.
    Actually it might. I got a new HP laptop. Prior to removing all the crapware I downloaded a trusted registry cleaner. It found no dead keys. I then removed, via add/remove programs, all the crapware. I then reran the registry cleaner. Total found and removed 3K+. Now if I did not know the ins and outs of computers I would not have run the registry cleaner and would have had a bunch of dead keys. Maybe that is what their program also does. However we are all only guessing at this point.

Take care,

Brian

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread