LitPlans.com $25,000+
    After receiving "two and a half" offers for my "lesson plans" web site today, I've decided to list it for sale on eBay, with a starting bid of $25,000 (which was offered). If this is like my earlier high-value auctions on eBay, there won't be any bids posted until a few minutes before it closes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150136608873

Good luck Mark, I looked at the site the other day. It's clear that you spent a lot of time finding resources and building it out.

Hope you get a couple of bidders that can't pass it up and drive that price through the roof.

I must sadly report that this auction closed with a high bid of $50,100.

I'm not sad because of the amount, but because the high bidder is a fake. Someone created an account using a non-existent street address and a telephone number that is from a different region (whose owner confirms that this is a wrong number), and somehow completed eBay's "verification" procedure for high bid amounts, and placed a bid just 8 seconds before the auction closed.

I knew this sort of thing used to happen on eBay; I remember when Cliff Kurtzman had his auction for "y2k.com" close at $1 million, only to discover that all the bidders were kiddies playing games. But I actually thought that eBay had taken steps to prevent this, and would respond quickly to such abuses. I was wrong. eBay won't do anything; they won't even let me file an "unpaid item" report for 7 days, after which I must wait another week for the non-existent "bidder" to respond.

This really sucks, because I had two legitimate bidders (folks who were in regular contact with me by phone and email during the auction) who pushed the auction up to $40,100. Of course, thanks to the bogus bidder, I've learned that one of them had placed a proxy bid at $50,000, but that doesn't matter -- the auction should legitimately have closed with a high bid of $40,100. I've contacted that bidder, asking if they wish to proceed with the transaction at that price. If not, I'm just screwed, since all other prospective bidders (those I had been talking with) had stayed away once the bidding pushed above $30,000.

What really annoys me is eBay's attitude about this -- quite simply, they don't care. They were quite clear that under no circumstances would they disclose any information to me, such as the IP address used to submit the bid, or even "which process" was used to "verify" the bidder to allow him to post a bid for more than $15,000. The eBay online complaint system doesn't even have any option to report "fake bidders," other than shill bids made on behalf of the seller. (Yes, that's right -- this is a very common problem, but eBay doesn't even provide any way for people to report it!)

I have no way of knowing if this "fake bid" was submitted by someone who wanted to ruin the auction and force a later sale at a much lower price; perhaps even one of the two "legitimate" high bidders. Nor do these bidders have any way to know whether I initiated the fake bid, in order to try to identify the top proxy bid.

This sucks.

Oops.
    This has been a roller-coaster day; tomorrow's fireworks may seem relaxing by comparison.

Three hours after the auction closed -- long after I was certain that the top bidder was fake -- I received a phone call from one of other companies that I knew was tracking the auction, indicating that they were the top bidder. The $50,100 bid was genuine. They say that they used fake information in their account registration in order to conceal their identity from other bidders, as they did not understand the "private auction" protected their identity. They are promising to wire-transfer the full amount on Thursday.

Glad to hear it Mark, Congratulations!

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats, hopefully they follow thru on Thursday.

Man i'd be bouncing off the walls selling something on ebay in the 50k range.

I sold an old guitar on there once for 6k and it was a wild ride towards the end.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Congratulations, Mark!

I'm glad it ended up working out for you.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Congatulations!

This story came to a happy end.

It still does not expalin how they were able to complete the verification without valid info. How can anyone have trust in a system that is flawed for any item that sells for over a couple K. I hear many bad stories from sellers and buyers alike - non existent items that sell for thousands and in your case items that are bid on that are potentially jokers pushing the bid up for jollies.

Glad it turned out for you.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread